Is mobic: Drug Database | Medication Decision Support
Ask the Doctors – How does meloxicam ease joint pain?
Dear Doctor: I’ve suffered joint pain for years. Being prescribed 15 milligrams of Meloxicam has been wonderful. What are your thoughts on Meloxicam use?
Meloxicam (Mobic) is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that, like all such drugs, inhibits the formation of the enzyme cyclooxygenase (COX). This inhibition leads to a decrease in the production of molecules that boost inflammation and help the blood clot.
There are two forms of the COX enzyme, aptly named COX-1 and COX-2. COX-1 is involved in protecting the lining of the stomach, promoting the blood’s clotting ability and aiding kidney function. COX-2 is involved in the inflammatory response in the body. Many of the side effects seen with older NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, naproxen and diclofenac are related to the inhibition of COX-1. The side effects include gastritis or gastric ulcers, blood thinning and kidney damage. Inhibiting COX-2 leads to a decrease in inflammation and a decrease in pain.
Meloxicam at low doses (7.5 milligrams) inhibits COX-2 and not COX-1. That means it can reduce pain and inflammation, without irritation of the stomach lining or an increased risk of stomach ulcers. Research has found that serious upper gastrointestinal events at the 7.5 mg dose occur in fewer than 1 in 3,000 people. But note that follow-up studies didn’t last more than 60 days, so it’s unclear if these rates would hold up over the long term.
Further, at low doses, meloxicam may not show the kidney problems that other NSAIDs cause. The rates of heart attacks appear comparable to those of other NSAIDs, with a slight increase in risk at all doses.
However, when meloxicam dosage is increased to 15 milligrams, the medication does inhibit COX-1, leading to a significant increase in the rates of serious upper gastrointestinal events. One study found that, while the number of events was less than with the NSAID naproxen, the number of events at 15 mg was six times higher than the lower dose of meloxicam (1 in 500 people). Another study showed a greater proportion of people with a slight decrease in kidney function when 22.5 mg of meloxicam was taken for 12 weeks. This was not seen at the 15 mg dosage. Lastly, for people on two types of blood pressure drugs – ACE-inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers, meloxicam (like other NSAIDs) may make those medications less effective. One note for people who take either ACE inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers for high blood pressure: Meloxicam may make these medication less effective
In summary, meloxicam works well for pain and swelling. The higher doses do decrease pain more than the 7.5mg dosage, and the medication is comparable to the NSAID diclofenac for both pain relief and decreasing inflammation. I have frequently recommended the medication for joint inflammation, bone bruises, pain from fractures and tendonitis, and it’s worked well for the vast majority of my patients. For older adults, I lean toward the 7.5 mg dose, but I have recommended 15 mg in more severe cases. Some of the latter group have complained of gastrointestinal discomfort, but this stopped when they discontinued the medication. I rarely give this medication for greater than one month, but have had some patients who have been on this medication for years for severe arthritis.
I don’t know how frequently you are using meloxicam, but if you’re using it on an as-needed basis, it should be safe. If you’re using this medication daily, you should consider its potential for side effects.
Robert Ashley, MD, is an internist and assistant professor of medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Ask the Doctors is a syndicated column first published by UExpress syndicate.
Side Effects of Meloxicam (Mobic)
Reviewed by: Sophie Stein, MSN
Updated: Jul 06, 2023
Meloxicam (brand name Mobic) is a prescription nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Mobic uses include: treating pain, inflammation, tenderness, and stiffness typically from rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis.
Mobic was approved for use in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2000. Unlike opioid medications, meloxicam is not considered addictive. However, meloxicam is sometimes abused because it is mistakenly believed to have opioids in it. The medication does not induce euphoria, but it can lead to serious side effects, especially if taken excessively.
General Side Effects of Meloxicam
Some of the side effects associated with meloxicam are usually not serious. However, you should consult with your healthcare provider if they do not go away on their own or if they are troublesome.
Some of the Meloxicam side effects that are more common include:
Some of the Meloxicam side effects that are less frequent include:
- Abnormal dreaming
- Difficulty falling or staying asleep
- Mild depression
- Trouble concentrating
- Appetite changes, especially an increased appetite
- Stomach pain
- Changes in vision
- Itchy, burning, or dry eyes
- Ringing in the ears, or tinnitus
- Hearing loss
- Dry mouth
- Changes in taste
- Unpleasant or unusual aftertaste
- Rapid breathing
- Tingling or pinprick sensations
- Thinning hair
Harmful Side Effects of Meloxicam
While many of the side effects from taking meloxicam as prescribed will pass and are not serious, some can be dangerous. The risk of these side effects may go up if a person takes too much meloxicam or uses meloxicam for a long time.
If a person experiences any of the below symptoms, they should get emergency medical help by calling 911:
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Slurred speech
- Weakness on one side or part of the body
If a person experiences any of the below side effects, they should immediately stop taking meloxicam and contact their healthcare provider:
- Stomach pain
- Bloody vomit
- Vomit with a coffee-ground appearance
- Bloody, black, and/or tarry stools
- Swelling (especially of the throat, tongue, lips, eyes, or face)
- Trouble breathing or swallowing
- Pale skin
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Unexplained weight gain
- Yellowed eyes or skin
- Pain in the back or upper right part of the stomach
- Discolored, bloody, or cloudy urine
- Painful or difficult urination
- Flu-like symptoms
It is possible to overdose on meloxicam. If a person takes too much meloxicam, call the poison control helpline at 1-800-222-1222. If they had a seizure, have difficulty breathing, collapsed, or cannot be woken up, call 911 immediately. Symptoms of an overdose include:
- Loss of energy
- Nausea or vomiting
- Bloody vomit
- Vomit with a coffee-ground appearance
- Stomach pain
- Bloody, black, and/or tarry stools
- Trouble breathing
Meloxicam Can Cause Long-Term Harm
All medications have potential side effects. Long-term use of NSAIDs may increase the risk of stomach or intestinal bleeding, ulcers, or holes. Long-term use of non-aspirin NSAIDs may increase the risk of heart attack or stroke.
Bleeding, ulcers, or holes in the stomach or intestines can develop at any time during use of NSAIDs and can be fatal if untreated. People who are older, drink large amounts of alcohol, are in poor health, or are also taking other NSAIDs or certain other medications, as well as people who have been taking NSAIDs for a long time, may be at increased risk of developing these problems. These issues may happen without any warning signs, or they may present with heartburn, stomach pain, vomit with a coffee-ground appearance, bloody vomit, bloody stools and/or black and tarry stools. Contact a healthcare professional right away and stop taking meloxicam if you experience any of those symptoms.
Taking NSAIDs other than aspirin may increase a person’s risk of having a stroke or heart attack, which can be deadly. Long-term use of NSAIDs may increase this risk. People who have recently had a heart attack should not take an NSAID unless their healthcare provider specifically tells them to. Before starting an NSAID, let your health care provider know if you or anyone in your family has or has in the past had heart disease, a stroke, or a heart attack, as well as if you have or have in the past smoked, had high cholesterol, had high blood pressure, or had diabetes. Heart attack or stroke can occur without warning. Call 911 for emergency medical help if you have shortness of breath, chest pain, slurred speech, and/or weakness in one part or side of your body.
Insomnia is a potential adverse effect, as well. Insomnia can cause sleepiness during the day and lack of energy. This can cause serious problems, for instance if a person is driving when drowsy and gets into an accident. It can also lead to feeling depressed, anxious, or irritable, as well as cause difficulty focusing, learning, and remembering.
It is also possible to develop kidney damage from taking meloxicam. However, drug-induced kidney damage is often reversible if the drug causing it is stopped.
Meloxicam use can also lead to liver damage. Studies show that up to 7 percent of people who take meloxicam experience some elevated liver enzymes. This sometimes resolves on its own, even if the person is still taking meloxicam. Symptoms of liver damage may include fatigue, decreased appetite, nausea, yellowing of the skin or eyes, or dark urine.
Some people who take NSAIDs retain water, which can lead to swelling that is uncomfortable or even dangerous, as it can cause heart failure. Fluid retention may also lead to anemia. This swelling, also known as edema, is typically most noticeable in a person’s arms, hands, legs, ankles, and feet.
Women who are pregnant should consult their healthcare provider before beginning a prescription for meloxicam, and women taking meloxicam who think they may have become pregnant should let their healthcare provider know right away. Meloxicam may cause harm to the fetus.
Patients should make sure their healthcare provider is aware of all their past and current health conditions and any use of alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs, as well as all medications, vitamins, and supplements they are taking. This enables the provider to discuss with the patient the risks versus benefits of taking meloxicam, including the risks of possible interactions or adverse effects, and to decide if meloxicam is the right choice for that patient.
Get Help for Substance Abuse Involving Meloxicam or Other Drugs
Meloxicam is not addictive and does not cause feelings of euphoria, but some people may mistakenly believe it is an opioid since it is prescribed for pain. These individuals may try to get high from taking excessive amounts of this medication. The drug is sometimes diverted for illicit distribution, so it sometimes can be obtained through those routes.
People who struggle with substance use problems should seek help. If their addiction is not addressed, it can cause long-term harm to their bodies and minds. Treatment programs can help you overcome addiction. These programs typically include therapy to help people understand their addiction, to develop better coping mechanisms, and to find a healthy routine that does not involve drugs or alcohol.
You aren’t alone. You deserve to get help.
We are here to help you get sober and learn how to stay that way. Laguna Treatment Hospital is located in Orange County within easy reach of the entire Los Angeles metro. We are the premier chemical dependency recovery hospital in the OC. We offer safe medical detox, mental health support, and wellness programs.
Not perpetual, but mobile – Nizhny Novgorod News
Many great minds fought over the invention of a perpetual motion machine, capable of generating an immense amount of energy at minimal cost and effort, but, as you know, all ideas about a perfect device were recognized as utopia. Olgerd Skripko from Nizhny Novgorod, who developed a new improved energy-efficient engine, partly managed to cope with a seemingly impossible task.
Practiced at the “bottling”
The first invention of Olgerd Yakovlevich, an artist by profession, was … a filling machine. After graduating from an art school, our hero managed to work at several machine-building plants, where he acquired good design and ergonomic skills. The acquired knowledge was most useful at a new place of work – a pharmaceutical company that produces liquid medicines. Medicines were poured here manually, and the productivity of the workflow left much to be desired (one employee managed to fill no more than three thousand bottles per hour, despite the fact that they had to work in two shifts).
Thanks to the filling machine designed by Skripko, the productive forces of the enterprise have increased no less than 13 times, and in just one hour the pourers began to produce 39 thousand ready-made bubbles!
However, the technique he designed did not cause much trepidation among the creator himself, because even at a young age our hero became seriously interested in aircraft modeling, or rather, rotary engines used both in aviation and in other industries. Over time, the innovator analyzed all the disadvantages of the device and decided to bring the design to perfection.
For fighters, it’s the most
– By the principle of operation, my device is similar to an internal combustion engine with the only difference being that in a conventional internal combustion engine there is a reciprocating motion, that is, the piston rises up and down and makes only one in four revolutions tact, – explains the designer. – In my engine, all processes occur simultaneously, in one direction, and if the pistons in the internal combustion engine have two dead points, then there is only one, and there is no reciprocating motion.
In simple terms, the motor avoids mechanical overload, it is more durable and energy efficient. The exhaust process here occurs continuously, while there is no combustion chamber, due to which the device is much smaller in size.
— Automotive industry, shipbuilding — for these industries, the compactness and durability of parts is of decisive importance, — continues the innovator. “My development is especially advantageous for aviation military equipment. Due to the small engine, a fighter-bomber, for example, holds more fuel, the freed space can be used to carry additional cargo.
An improved small-sized engine (by the way, at the patent competition, Olgerd Yakovlevich’s creation was awarded first place in the nomination “The Best Invention in the Nizhny Novgorod Region in the field of mechanical engineering and transport) has already become seriously interested abroad. In particular, Skripko received several offers from German manufacturers, but the innovator refused to implement his invention on the side. He is currently negotiating with one of the Nizhny Novgorod enterprises specializing in engine building.
Perpetuum mobile (lat. Perpetuum Mobile) efficiency is greater than 100 percent). The first mention of a perpetual motion machine dates back to the 12th century, and Leonardo da Vinci and the famous Russian writer and literary critic Nikolai Chernyshevsky are among the innovators who tried to invent a perfect device.
Dmitry Yalov: “Our business turned out to be extremely mobile”
The economy of the Leningrad region, which was predicted to experience a significant decline due to the export orientation of key industries and the departure of large Western companies (such as IKEA, which had a factory in Tikhvin), showed unexpectedly positive results. Last year, the volume of industrial production in the region declined markedly. However, despite the tightening of sanctions, the industry quickly began to recover and already in April exceeded last year’s figures.
Dmitry Yalov, Deputy Chairman of the Government of the Leningrad Region, Chairman of the Committee for Economic Development and Investment Activity, spoke about the factors of growth, the current state of various industries, how the government helps businesses cope with problems, and the fate of investment projects in the region in an interview with RBC Petersburg. .
“What we did not expect”
― According to the latest data, the IPP of the Leningrad Region for January-April is 100. 4%, but the volume of shipment of manufacturing industries for the first quarter is 15.5% less than in Last year. What do these numbers say? Can we say that the decline in industrial production has been overcome? And the economy of the region as a whole – has it already overcome the crisis of 2022?
– The numbers we are seeing now are affected by two things. Firstly, at the beginning of 2022, the economy, in fact, was still working in conditions that were before the special military operation. In addition, in the first time after the start of the NWO, the pace of industrial production and shipments was largely anomalous, because everyone rushed to buy consumer goods – furniture, household appliances, etc.: they were afraid of a shortage or a strong rise in price. The real decline began later. Therefore, the current level of production is a fantastically good indicator; this is something that we did not expect and did not predict.
Secondly, shipment largely depends on the overstocking of warehouses, since products for various reasons, sometimes not related to the dynamics of production, first go to the warehouse and only then are shipped to customers.
– How would you characterize the current state of industry in the Leningrad Region?
– There are three industries that are currently experiencing some difficulties. The first, which, unfortunately, shows a decline of approximately 23% over the last 4 months, is the production of building materials. One of the reasons was the decrease in purchasing power and the cooling in the individual housing market after rapid growth during the pandemic.
The next area of concern is the timber industry. It was largely focused on Europe. High-quality lumber, paper and pellets were exported there. This market is currently closed.
And the third industry is everything related to the production of automotive components. It is clear that the situation there is the most difficult, the most severe drawdown due to the withdrawal of foreign assembly plants. At the moment, there is virtually no one to produce auto components for anyone. Chinese automakers have not yet localized, while European, American, Korean and Japanese have already left.
All other sectors are doing well.
– What sectors can be called the most prosperous against the general background?
– Food production and mechanical engineering make the greatest positive contribution. Mechanical engineering grew by almost a third – in relation to the fall that was last year. The Tikhvin Freight Car Building Plant made a significant contribution to this growth. Due to problems with bearings, production there actually stopped in May last year, but by autumn it began to recover. Now, due to changes in logistics flows, there is a shortage of railcars on the Russian market, so their production is in full swing.
Also, more than 40% of growth was shown by the production of finished metal products. The production of beverages increased by 62% – this is import substitution in its purest form. The production of clothing increased 2.3 times, furniture – by 21%, medicines – by 18%, leather and leather products – 3 times.
“You can’t change one addiction for another”
― What is the fate of the most significant investment projects for the region, including those signed during SPIEF 2022 and at previous forums?
– Gas chemical projects are being successfully implemented. Among medium-sized projects, for example, the mass production of PVC sheets by the Karmatekh company has already begun. These sheets are used, for example, for printing signs, advertisements. The production is small, but very useful and important. Technopark “Marienburg” continues to develop production for the processing of polyolefins. Polyplast successfully implements its projects. In total, 16 projects are being implemented in the petrochemical industry. 9 projects – in mechanical engineering.
― To what extent does the process of import substitution compensate the region for the loss of Western suppliers?
– Import substitution projects are implemented in the region quite effectively. Let me give you one important example. In the spring of 2022, there was a problem with packaging, especially for food products. It was a critical risk, because selling milk, kefir, juices, etc. no one will be in glass bottles, as in Soviet times – this is inconvenient for both manufacturers and retail chains. And in terms of laminated cardboard, we depended on European suppliers. It wasn’t easy to readjust. At first, our manufacturers switched to Chinese laminated cardboard, and later the Elopak company located in the region was able to replace it. This example clearly demonstrates that it is impossible to change dependence on European suppliers for dependence on Chinese ones. There are industries, especially the food industry, where the concept of food safety is very important.
– Does the government help replace the loss of Western supplies?
– We work flexibly with the Ministry of Industry and Trade. Where domestic production has not yet been established, we ask that restrictive measures be lifted on foreign products, and in those areas that were urgently needed, duties were removed. And now, on the contrary, some duties have been returned – to protect the domestic market for those manufacturers who have managed to establish production.
Of course, we don’t have super-optimism. Unfortunately, some components, the same microchips, cannot yet be replaced, but in many areas, business is coping with import substitution. There were difficulties with chemical components for paper products, but they were solved. This helped to restore the work of Svetogorsk Pulp and Paper Mill, which lacked a significant number of components. It was possible to increase the production of components for the production of car tires at Ikon Tires (the successor to Nokian Tires, now owned by Tatneft). A real breakthrough has been achieved in many areas.
― Which of the business support measures developed by the Leningrad region government’s economic bloc turned out to be the most in demand?
– I have always advocated a fairly liberal approach to state intervention in the economy. Our task is not to interfere with business, but to help: somewhere to support financially, simplify regulatory procedures, create the necessary infrastructure, and advise. In the current situation, help is especially needed. Entrepreneurs use all possible support measures – both federal and regional.
I would like to point out some of the most popular support tools for small and medium-sized businesses. These are soft loans for working capital. In the portfolio of our Entrepreneurship Support Fund, they account for more than 90%.
It is worth noting the work of our development institutions – the Economic Development Agency of the Leningrad Region and the Center for Industry Support. These organizations systematically, and sometimes even manually, respond to business requests, help to find contacts with interested parties. The number of requests from investors is constantly growing. So, last year, 64 projects applied to AERLO for support, and for the first 4 months of 2023 – 85 projects.
– Is your Green Corridor system in demand among businesses?
– The numbers above are just talking about demand. Now the second stage of the Green Corridor system for the investor is being implemented. At the first stage, we fine-tuned the interaction of the project support system. Thanks to the operation of a single window, the response time for standard requests has been reduced from 30 to 7 days. Agreements have been concluded with resource-supplying organizations, and businesses can quickly receive an answer on the possibility of technical connection to electricity, water supply or gas.
At the second stage, we are working on upgrading the investor’s personal account. Now this is already a single digital window for communication between the investor and the project manager from the Agency, the investment commissioner from the municipal district.
The Green Corridor practice has been recognized by the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation as one of the best in Russia, and we are constantly approached from other regions with requests to share their experience.
The “Green Corridor” is especially useful for an average investor who, unlike a large one, does not have a large project team, no opportunity to hire consultants, no reliable connections in government offices, no team of lawyers who can deal with approvals. Such an investor cannot spend years on approvals, because in many cases during this time his project will lose its meaning. And he will either leave for another region, or he will buy or rent some ready-made areas. For such companies, fast, simple and free support is especially critical.
“It is too early to talk about stabilization”
– Is it possible to talk about the stabilization of the economy of the Leningrad Region after the sanctions strike in 2022? What are your forecasts for the situation in 2023?
– I think it’s premature to talk about stabilization. It is too early to say that we have already passed the bottom point and are on a sustainable growth trajectory. Although in the last quarter of last year and in the first quarter of this year, a slight increase in industrial production was recorded. In March of this year, compared to February, it even amounted to a significant 8.2%. But these are still very short intervals, they do not reflect the whole picture. I would like to say that this is a long-term trend, but as an economist I cannot. Only by autumn will it be possible to speak with confidence about what is happening.
Objectively, there are negative factors, for example, a reduction in consumer demand, because a 10% drop in consumption is a rather alarming factor that can drag the industry along with it. Much will depend on consumer sentiment, which is already associated with geopolitical factors, and not with economic ones.
Of the positive aspects, we are most pleased with the fact that the business turned out to be extremely mobile and efficient. This is the main point. At first there were panic moods, expectations that it would be like at 1990s. But both I and the experts were sure that this would not happen – and life confirmed the correctness of our words. In the nineties, there was a transition from an inefficient command and control economy to a market economy. And then there were simply no players who could quickly make decisions themselves.