Red sore on butt: The request could not be satisfied
Buttock Rash – Symptoms, Causes, Treatments
Rash is a symptom that causes the affected area of skin to turn red and blotchy, and to swell. A rash may cause spots that are bumpy, scaly, flaky, or filled with pus. Rashes can vary in location, pattern and extent and may occur in any area of the body. A buttock rash can have a variety of causes, and it may indicate something occurring around the buttock itself or suggest a systemic (body-wide) condition.
Contact dermatitis (skin inflammation) is caused by an adverse reaction to something that touches the skin, including chemicals found in detergent, soap or a fragrance. For example, you may develop a rash on your buttock when you wear pants or underwear that was washed with a particular detergent or treated with a chemical. Cleaning chemicals used on toilet seats may be another cause of buttock rash.
Diaper rash, which can cause redness and itching on the buttock, as well as the abdomen and legs, is a very common condition in infants and toddlers. Changing your baby’s diaper frequently can help prevent this condition. In addition, the gluteal skin fold between the buttocks is a warm, shaded, moist area – a perfect environment for germs to grow. Fungal skin infections can thrive there.
Allergies to food and medications are potentially serious sources of rash. Peanuts, shellfish, strawberries and avocados are just some of the foods that can trigger allergic reactions. These foods may cause mild reactions; however, in some cases, reactions could develop into potentially life-threatening conditions characterized by vomiting, difficulty breathing, or swelling. Allergic purpura is a serious, often life-threatening allergic reaction that can cause a skin rash but can also affect the joints, gastrointestinal tract, and kidneys.
Rashes may also be associated with skin conditions, such as eczema, psoriasis and impetigo. Some of these are chronic skin conditions that may flare up for a time, then resolve. Other causes for rash include autoimmune disorders that occur when the body is attacked by its own immune system, which normally serves to protect it from foreign invaders (antigens). Many viruses that occur during flu season, or those associated with childhood diseases, can produce rash.
Rashes can be caused by an allergic reaction to food, medications, lotions or detergents. These reactions can range from mild to potentially life threatening, especially if swelling and constriction of breathing occurs, which could indicate anaphylaxis.
Seek immediate medical care (call 911) if a rash is accompanied by any serious symptoms, including swelling of the face, swelling and constriction of the throat, difficulty breathing, fainting, change in level of consciousness or alertness, pale skin, or purple rash.
Seek prompt medical care if a rash is persistent and causes you concern.
6 Reasons Your Butt Itches
Ozgur Donmaz/Getty Images
When redness and irritation shows up on or inside your butt, this poses a challenge. First, unless you have Gisele-like flexibility, it’s hard to whip your head around and fully assess the situation. Then there’s the embarrassment factor. Do you really want to drop trou and stick your cheeks out for your dermatologist? Didn’t think so. Before it comes to that (and it might, depending on how serious things are and what the treatment requires), check out our guide to decoding the signs behind six common rear-end rashes.
If the rash is: red, itchy, and has small painful blisters
It’s probably: a herpes outbreak
Surprise—this STD doesn’t only strike the mucus membranes of the genitals and mouth. “It’s not uncommon for herpes to infect the skin of your bottom, and the signs would be similar to that of an oral or genital herpes outbreak, including one or more tiny blisters grouped close together,” says Sarika M. Ramachandran, MD, assistant professor of dermatology at New York University Langone Medical Center. The treatment is also the same: diagnosis by your derm or ob-gyn and then a script for antiviral meds, which will speed healing.
MORE: 7 Celebrity Butt Selfies—and What You Can Learn from Them
If the rash is: a red, itchy, and scaly patch
It’s probably: a fungal infection
“This is the same fungal infection as athlete’s foot and jock itch, but it shows up on your behind,” says Ramachandran. Fungi thrive in moist, dark places, which is why this infection tends to occur on body parts that rub together, creating lots of heat and friction (hello, butt crack!). An OTC antifungal cream should get rid of it, but if that doesn’t work, your doc can prescribe something stronger.
MORE: 4 Ways to Get Rid of Butt Acne
If the rash is: red with tender, pimple-like bumps
It’s probably: buttne, which is medically known as folliculitis
This happens when dead skin cells and bacteria clog the hair follicles on your cheeks and upper thighs. It’s unsightly, but it’s nothing serious: Ease it by applying an OTC benzoyl peroxide product, and prevent it from returning by showering after a gym session and wearing fabrics that let your butt skin breathe.
If the rash is: red, scaly, and strikes right above your butt crack
It’s probably: psoriasis
Psoriasis, a chronic, non-contagious skin condition, is caused by the overproduction of skin cells—and it loves to show up in that dimple between your lower back and crack, says Ramachandran. Other signs include white, pink, or silver patches and flaking. It also tends to form on the elbows, scalp, and nails. Psoriasis needs to be treated with prescription steroid creams, so if you suspect you have it, check in with your derm.
If the rash is: flaky and itchy, sometimes accompanied by tiny red bumps
It’s probably: eczema
Those stretchy black tights you’re practically living in right now? They’re big-time eczema offenders, trapping heat and sweat between your skin and the synthetic material, triggering this itchy, red skin condition, says Ramachandran. Ease it the way you would if you had eczema on any other patch of skin: by applying moisturizer or an OTC hydrocortisone cream. Also, wear more breathable all-cotton or natural-fiber material so your skin gets some fresh air. If you’re still itchy, your derm can give you stronger meds.
If the rash is: super itchy and on your anus
It’s probably: hemorroids
These small protrusions of veins can be irritating, painful, and itchy, thanks to the swelling and inflammation that develops around them, says Ramachandran. It sounds gross, sure, but hemorrhoids are very common and are usually caused by pressure from chronic constipation or pregnancy. OTC hemorrhoid creams can numb the pain, reduce swelling, and nix the itch. But if yours keep acting up and leave you squirming, see your doctor about other treatment options, like surgery.
The article “6 Reasons Your Butt Is Red and Itchy” originally ran on Womenshealthmag.com.
MORE: 8 Fascinating Facts About Your Butt
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
How to Identify and Treat Butt Bumps
- A pimple on your butt could be a boil, which is a hair follicle infection.
- It could also be keratosis: a skin condition where dead skin cells build up in your hair follicles.
- Acne on your butt is another common inflammatory skin condition.
- Visit Insider’s Health Reference library for more advice.
LoadingSomething is loading.
When red bumps appear on your butt, they most likely aren’t caused by the same type of acne you see on your face. It’s possible to get pimples on your butt, but more often, the bumps are caused by other skin conditions like folliculitis or keratosis pilaris.
Here are four reasons you may see bumps on your butt and how you can get rid of them.
Use antibacterial products to treat folliculitis.
Most often, butt bumps are caused by folliculitis, which occurs when bacteria on your skin invade a hair follicle.
Folliculitis may look like:
- Small red bumps
- Pus-filled whiteheads
“This is often caused by a combination of sweating and friction which disrupts the outer skin layer and increases the likelihood of bacteria getting into the skin,”says Joshua Zeichner, MD, a board-certified dermatologist and professor at Mount Sinai.
For this reason, you should avoid wearing tight clothing, especially during summer, if you’re prone to getting butt bumps.
To get rid of mild folliculitis, Zeichner recommends at-home remedies like:
- Use antibacterial skin products like benzoyl peroxide
- Apply an anti-inflammatory skin product like hydrocortisone
- Apply a warm compress made from a washcloth soaked in warm water to the area several times per day
- Change out of sweaty clothing as soon as possible
If these treatments don’t work, you may need to see your doctor to get a prescription antibiotic cream.
2. Keratosis pilaris
Keratosis is genetic.
Keratosis pilaris is a common skin condition that occurs when dead skin cells build up inside your hair follicles. This causes tiny red bumps to appear. It’s often referred to as “chicken skin” because of its rough, bumpy appearance, Zeichner says.
The best exfoliating ingredients for brighter and clearer skin, according to dermatologists
“Keratosis pilaris is determined by your genetics, and while we can’t completely get rid of it, we can make it look better,” Zeichner says. The best way to do this is to use exfoliating products to help remove the dead cells from your follicles. This can include:
- Chemical exfoliators that contain salicylic, lactic and glycolic acid which can dissolve connections between dead cells so they easily shed from the skin, Zeichner says.
- Manual exfoliators, like a rough sponge, skin brush, or face scrub containing tiny grains, work by physically removing dead cells from your skin.
Acne may need to be treated with exfoliation.
Acne happens when the pores in your skin become clogged with oil and dead skin cells, causing redness and inflammation. It most often shows up on your face, but it’s possible to get acne almost anywhere on your body, including your butt.
The best ingredients for fighting acne, according to dermatologists
You can treat acne on your butt the same way you treat acne on your face, using methods like:
- Washing the area every day, especially after you sweat a lot
- Cutting down on refined sugars and dairy in your diet
- Using products that exfoliate your skin like salicylic acid
Note: Body acne can be harder to treat than facial acne and you may need to see your doctor to get prescription-strength products or oral antibiotics.
Boils may be filled with pus.
A boil is an infection in your hair follicle that leads to a painful, red bump. “It commonly fills with pus and may rupture if it becomes large enough,” Zeichner says.
Boils generally start out small but can grow to more than two inches wide in some cases.
They most often go away on their own within two weeks, but there are a few methods you can try to help clear them up more quickly:
- Apply a warm compress to the skin to help bring the pus to the surface.
- Gently massage the area to help drain the boil, Zeichner says.
- Use antimicrobial skin cleansers to help lower levels of bacteria on the skin.
Important: Never squeeze a boil, as this can spread the infection.
In some cases, you may need to see your doctor to drain the boil or get oral antibiotic treatment.
When to see a doctor
Reach out to a board-certified dermatologist if:
- The bumps become extremely painful
- The bumps aren’t improving or get worse after two weeks of at-home care
- Your symptoms get worse rapidly
- The bumps keep coming back
You should get immediate medical attention if you have any symptoms of more serious infection like fever or chills.
It’s possible to get acne on your butt, but butt pimples are most often caused by other conditions like folliculitis or a boil.
There are several at-home remedies you can use to treat mild butt bumps, including exfoliating and antibacterial skin products. For more severe or recurring cases, you may need to see your doctor for treatment.
Why Visit the Doctor
Most people ignore the first signs of an infected cyst (a small hard, red sore spot). They think it is similar to an acne pimple and will go away on its own. As the cyst gets bigger, it gets redder and hurts more. The red area might break open and bleed or leak pus-like drainage.
When this happens, the pain gets better or goes away, but a doctor still needs to treat the infection that caused the problem. If the doctor thinks that the area needs extra attention, they will send the patient to a surgeon.
The symptoms that you have and how long you have had them will help the doctor decide how to treat you. At first, you may start with:
- Antibiotics to treat the infection
- Sitz baths, warm soaks or warm compresses to help get rid of swelling and pain
If the spot still hurts, is swollen, open (with or without drainage), or needs special treatment, the doctor will tell you to see a surgeon. The surgeon may do any of the following:
- Shave the site and remove hairs from the cavity; they will tell you to do this weekly at home
- Keep you on the antibiotics you are already taking or change / add a new one
- Tell you to do sitz baths, warm soaks or warm compresses
- Have you clean the area with special soaps or wipes
- Do an incision and drainage (minor surgery) to remove any hairs or pus-like drainage that would keep the spot from healing
- Have you start doing dressing changes at home
- Schedule surgery for a “cyst excision” (removal of the cyst) or another type of treatment
What to Do to Prevent Return Visits to the Surgeon
To help keep the symptoms from coming back, you should:
- Wash area well and dry completely
- Shave or trim hairs from around the area every week
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Don’t sit for long periods of time
- Don’t wear tight or uncomfortable pants
- Don’t wipe stool / BM into the area
When to Call the Doctor
Call the surgery office if any of these symptoms return:
Bottoms up! 5 skin problems commonly seen on the butt.
- Posted on: Aug 23 2016
- By: editor
Don’t be shy. Sometimes your booty is the rooty of your skin problem.
We appreciate when patients behave well in the office, but sometimes it’s necessary for them to show the dermatologist their butts. We are over the moon to share with you 5 common skin problems found on a person’s backside (buttocks):
Genital herpes sometimes presents instead on the buttocks
- Genital herpes: If you have been getting a recurrent sore on the exact same place on the buttocks, it would be a good idea to get screened for genital herpes. Genital herpes? On the buttocks? After the primary infection with genital herpes, the virus lives dormant in the sacral ganglion in the lower spine. When the virus reactivates, it travels down the nerve toward the genitals—but sometimes takes an alternate route to the skin on a branch of the sacral nerve that serves the buttocks.
Acne on the butt? Well, not exactly.
- “acne”/folliculitis- “Butta face?” About 10% of people have a follicular papules on their buttocks. It’s not exactly like the acne vulgaris we usually see on the face, which technically starts with microscopic white heads, but a kind of irritant folliculitis. This may respond to benzoyl peroxide wash, antiperspirants, or antibiotics. Further reading: Acne treatment
Keratosis pilaris- something both your arms and butt may have in common
- Keratosis pilaris– If you have the red or brown, scaly, follicular papules on the backs of your arms, you may also get them on the thighs and buttocks. These lesions are a normal finding on some people. It can be difficult to treat keratosis pilaris. Sometimes exfoliating creams, such as salicyclic acid cream, ammonium lactate lotion, or physical exfoliation can make the skin smoother—but the effects are usually temporary.
- Psoriasis– There are a variety of “red rashes” that dermatologists see that may look the same. Drug eruptions. Pityriasis rosacea. Syphilis. Pityriasis rubra pilaris…and psoriasis. Sometimes the key to distinguishing them is the presence of gluteal pinking, which is involvement of the fold between the cheeks of the buttocks.
Mycosis fungoides- a types of skin cancer that sometimes presents only on the butt.
- Cancer…specifically mycosis fungoides: Mycosis fungoides is a relatively uncommon type of skin lymphoma that can look like eczema or psoriasis. This condition typically involves the “double covered” areas of the body that get less sun such as the breasts in women, as well as the hips and buttocks. This condition can persist for decades without changing life expectancy, but in some cases it is more aggressive causing sickness and death.
Schedule a virtual or in-person consultation for skin problems on your butt, or other problems here.
Note: Some links in this post may result in us benefitting from a third-party sale.
Tagged with: acne treatment nyc, acne-blog-posts, aetna dermatologist near me, aglow dermatology, best dermatologist, black dermatologist, butt acne, butt sore, cigna dermatologist near me, dermatologist near me, dermatologist who take unitedhealthcare, gential herpes, herpes treatment, herpes treatment nyc, nyc dermatologist, psoriasis, skin care, spots on my butt
Posted in: General Dermatology
“Do I Have a Saddle Sore?” — How to Know What You’re Dealing With as a Cyclist in Pain
Weirdly, saddle sores come in all shapes and sizes and styles. So, let’s talk about if you have a saddle sore or something similar because, gross as it may seem, knowledge in this case is going to be power!
How do I know if I have a saddle sore?
A saddle sore will look and feel like a pimple—a mound that hurts a bit if you press on it. “It may seem similar to an ingrown hair,” explains coach Peter Glassford.
Obviously, you’ll notice this in the “saddle contact area,” most often between your genitalia and your anus. “You’ll be more likely to get rashes or simple breakouts on your thighs or butt cheeks,” Glassford notes. “Saddle sores are from really abusing the tissue while riding and bacteria gets in there, and the best way to describe it is a big pimple.”
While a day or two off the bike might be enough to resolve it, if it persists and still hurts after a few days, it’s time to see a doctor (more on that in “Saddle, Sore: Ride Comfortable, Ride Happy“). Be especially careful if the sore ruptures and opens, as it’s much more likely to end up infected.
Good (sort of) news: not every little bump “down there” is a saddle sore. While the treatments remain largely the same, knowing what you’re dealing with can point you in the right direction.
A few of the other common issues include:
Between the irritation of wearing tight-fitting, sweaty spandex and shaving (or waxing), ingrown hairs are a distinct possibility and may present similarly to a saddle sore. Treatment for this one is similar though, so even if you treat it the same way, it will heal.
You’ve likely dealt with acne on your face, but unfortunately, it can be even worse on your butt, and ultimately a saddle sore is just a really big pimple, but smaller breakouts are possible. For this, try an over-the-counter acne cream at night, and sleep either in the buff or in cotton panties to allow for a good amount of air flow.
Not just for guys anymore, unfortunately. This fungal infection (think athlete’s foot for your nether regions) presents in a few ways, and usually in a larger area than a single saddle sore would be. Visually, jock itch can range from dry, red, scaly skin to a whole lot of painful small bumps. It will usually be in “fold” areas, so if you have a rash right where your butt cheek meets your thigh, it might be jock itch, not just a pesky rash. Again, there are over-the-counter anti-fungals, but if the two-week treatment doesn’t clear it up, check with your doctor.
An allergy-induced rash:
Maybe you’re allergic to your chamois cream, maybe you aren’t rinsing your shorts well enough after washing, or maybe you just need a few days off the bike. The best thing to do for a rash—before taking more extreme measures—is to take a cool shower, wash carefully, and give it some time to let it breath before assuming the worst. And double rinse your chamois next time you wash it!
You may have an allergy to something in your chamois, or just a weird allergic reaction in general. An anti-histamine should calm this down, but work on switching detergents or your chamois/chamois cream to see if you can keep it from happening again.
“A friction rash is more often on the thighs or buttocks and might remind you of a sunburn or heat rash: There won’t be much tactile difference as far as bumps, just the stinging discomfort of a rash,” says Glassford. “These are going to need different treatment then a saddle sore might need, and generally adding some medicated lotion will help.”
Of course, to prevent all of these issues, check out the chapters on proper chamois and saddle fit, as well as the one on post-ride care.
Make sure you order “Saddle, Sore: Ride Comfortable, Ride Happy” today to tackle all these discomfort issues and so many more! (Or get a copy for the new cyclist in your life)
Before you go, get subscribed for a twice-monthly set of tips, tricks + outdoor adventure !
How to Treat and Prevent It
Does baby have tiny red bumps on their backside? They may be experiencing a bout of diaper rash. Diaper rashes are so common, almost all babies will get one at some point. But while it’s nothing to be alarmed about, a baby butt rash is something you need to be proactive about addressing. After all, you hate seeing baby uncomfortable in any way, and diaper rashes can be a real pain in the, well, you know where. So how can you offer your little one some much-needed relief? Read on to learn everything from the best diaper rash treatments to ways to prevent it in the first place.
Just like its name implies, diaper rash is a rash that appears where a diaper touches their skin—namely their butt and genital region. “Diaper rash is identified by red, irritated skin around the diaper area,” says Jody Levine, MD, a New York City-based dermatologist and pediatrician. Baby is likely to cry during a diaper change due to heightened sensitivity.
All those wet and dirty diapers that touch baby’s skin can be irritating, which is why diaper rash mostly happens to infants and toddlers under 2 years old who haven’t been potty trained yet. Though diaper rash can pop up at any time, the odds are pretty good that you’ll be treating diaper rash (or multiple cases of it) when baby is between 9 and 12 months. “This is around the age when babies are sitting for long periods of time and they also begin to eat solids, so the composition of their poop is more acidic,” Levine says.
What Does Diaper Rash Look Like?
There’s a reason diaper rash is often called baby butt rash, as it covers baby’s backside, but it can also affect the genitals and thighs—basically anywhere diapers touch the skin. This kind of rash typically results in red, raw, tender skin. You may notice a few spots, or the rash could cover the entire diaper area, and it’s sometimes warm to the touch.
If this is the first time you’re seeing a rash on baby, contact your pediatrician before you assume it’s diaper rash and start trying out treatments—that way, the doctor can accurately diagnose your child’s condition and get it cleared up stat.
The most obvious cause of diaper rash is exposure to urine and poop—and the appearance of diaper rash doesn’t necessarily mean you’re not changing baby’s diaper often enough. “Anytime moisture sits on the skin for a period of time, it can cause the skin to get irritated,” says Laurie Belosa, MD, a pediatrician at Summit Health in Westfield, New Jersey. “Even if you’re changing diapers religiously, whether they’re disposable diapers or cloth diapers, they can still cause irritation because it’s a sensitive area, which can lead to a diaper rash.”
Not using enough protective ointment to create a good barrier between baby’s skin and the diaper is another common cause of diaper rash, but allergies, illnesses, foods and medications can all be culprits, too. Here are a few more triggers that could be causes of diaper rash:
• Diaper rash from diarrhea. “A baby of any age who has the runs will be more likely to have a diaper rash,” Levine says. Old wives’ tales also link diaper rash and teething, since it’s been said that teething causes diarrhea in babies—but there’s no science to support this. “However, as a mom of five, I can say from experience that I’ve seen my babies have increased watery stools during teething that, like all watery stools, have the potential to lead to a diaper rash,” Levine says.
• Diaper rash from sensitivities. Baby’s soft skin can be extra-sensitive to certain ingredients found in soaps, lotions and wipes, which could cause contact dermatitis and rashes, Levine says. She recommends steering clear of products with whitening agents and dyes.
• Diaper rash from friction. When baby starts crawling, you may notice diaper rash developing more often. It makes sense, since once baby’s on the move, those wet diapers are probably rubbing against their skin more, leading to chafing and rashes.
• Diaper rash from foods. “Acidic foods, like certain fruits and fruit juices, can trigger diaper rash because they can change the pH level of the urine,” Levine says.
• Diaper rash from antibiotics. If baby’s been ill and your doctor put them on a dose of antibiotics, there’s a good chance you can expect a diaper rash shortly down the road. “Antibiotics can kill off both bad and good bacteria to allow yeast to flourish, which contributes to diaper rash,” Levine says.
There are actually different types of diaper rash with different causes. “A regular diaper rash causes baby’s skin to become very irritated and chafed, and that’s just from irritation,” Belosa says. But other types of diaper rash can result from bacteria or fungal growth. It can be nerve-wracking trying to figure out what type of rash baby has. Keep in mind that your run-of-the-mill baby diaper rash will:
- Look mildly red
- Typically affect only the area touched by the diaper rather than the folds of baby’s skin
- Usually clear up in a day or two if you slather on plenty of diaper cream, give baby’s bottom time to air out and change wet or soiled diapers right away
However, if baby’s rash doesn’t clear up in about two days, it could mean they’ve developed one of these other types of baby diaper rash:
Bacterial diaper rash
Known as impetigo, this type of rash happens when bacteria such as staph and strep infect baby’s diaper region. “Urine can cause changes in the skin’s pH level, and this can make bacteria grow more easily in the diaper area,” Levine says. To figure out if baby’s diaper rash is caused by bacteria, look for little red diaper rash blisters about the size of a pencil point that may or may not have pus. Since impetigo is highly contagious, call the doctor right away. Your pediatrician will need to prescribe an antibiotic cream to clear up baby’s rash. To avoid spreading it to other family members, wash baby’s clothes, linens and soft toys in hot water, and make sure everyone in your family religiously washes their hands (especially after a diaper change).
Yeast diaper rash
The materials that help prevent most diapers from leaking can also prevent air circulation, says Levine, which can turn baby’s bottom into a moist, warm setting that’s perfect for fungi to grow. In fact, the same kind of candida fungus that causes thrush in baby’s mouth can also be the culprit behind their diaper rash. The difference between a diaper rash and yeast infection? A yeast diaper rash—also called a fungal diaper rash or thrush diaper rash—starts out as small red bumps in the folds of baby’s skin and can grow into angry-red, raised welts that spread to other areas, like the butt and legs. A yeast diaper rash won’t go away with diaper cream alone, so you’ll likely need baby’s doctor to prescribe an antifungal cream, such as Nystatin.
Is Diaper Rash Dangerous?
Baby butt rashes are very common and generally aren’t dangerous—but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take them seriously. In some cases, diaper rash can worsen if you don’t properly treat it. In other cases, the rash may be a sign of something that requires further medical care, such as a bacterial or yeast infection.
If baby develops any of the following symptoms, contact your pediatrician for guidance or schedule a doctor’s visit:
- A persistent rash that doesn’t improve after a few days
- A rash that continues to worsen
- A rash that starts to spread outside of the diaper region
- A rash that develops pimples, blisters or pustules
- A rash that’s accompanied by fever
What Are Some Diaper Rash Treatments?
Once you spot a diaper rash, start with the basics of diaper rash treatment. “The best way to get rid of diaper rash is to air out that area as best as you can. Leave the diaper off and just give that area some time to breathe,” Belosa says. Try laying down a waterproof pad in baby’s room and let them go diaper-free for several hours a day to give the irritated skin exposure to air.
Belosa also recommends the use of a diaper rash cream, both to soothe diaper rash and to prevent it in the future. “There are two different kinds of diaper rash cream,” Belosa says. “Something like A+D or a petroleum-based jelly, you can use preventatively. That’s just to create a barrier on the skin against all the pee and poop baby is making. And then there are stronger creams like Desitin or Triple Paste. Those have stronger ingredients for when you’re really trying to get rid of that diaper rash.”
If you see baby developing a diaper rash, make sure you’re applying diaper rash cream with every diaper change. Look for a cream made with zinc oxide, which forms a powerful barrier against wetness and also helps heal irritated skin.
That said, sometimes, depending on the severity of the diaper rash, an over-the-counter cream might not be enough. “It all depends on the type of rash,” Belosa says. “If a diaper rash isn’t getting better after a few days, we recommend bringing baby in to see the doctor. There are regular diaper rashes and then there are fungal diaper rashes, which need to be treated with prescription medicine.”
Home remedies for diaper rash
Sometimes a reliable diaper rash treatment can be found right in your kitchen pantry. If you’re looking for all-natural options, try these diaper rash remedies. From diaper rash baths to plant-based extracts and oils, these easy solutions can make a world of difference.
• Frequent diaper changes. When it comes to diaper rash remedies, the most important thing is keeping the area dry and clean. If baby has a rash, check their diaper every hour and change them as needed.
• Airing out. As Belosa said, maximizing airflow is the key to diaper rash treatment. Naked time is a great natural remedy for diaper rash. You can even hold a hairdryer (in the cool setting) a few inches away from baby’s diaper area, says Dina DiMaggio, MD, a pediatrician at Pediatric Associates of NYC and NYU Langone Medical Center in New York City.
• Switching diaper brands. An effective diaper rash treatment can be as simple as testing out different brands of diapers. Some diapers may be more absorbent than others, so experiment to see which brand baby responds to best.
• A looser fit. DiMaggio suggests putting baby in a diaper that’s slightly larger than usual to let more air in. You of course want baby’s diaper to be tight enough so that it doesn’t leak, but if it’s too snug, it can cause rubbing and chafing. Leave a little wiggle room to help prevent a baby butt rash.
• Rinsing with water. Baby wipes are probably your go-to cleanser when it comes to diapering, but when treating a diaper rash, it’s best to avoid them, since many contain chemicals that can further irritate the skin. Instead, try rinsing baby’s diaper area with warm water from a squirt bottle or squeezing a soft, wet rag, says Alexis Phillips, DO, a pediatrician with Memorial Hermann Medical Group-Atascocita Pediatrics in Atascocita, Texas. Having trouble removing stuck-on bits? “Dried feces can be gently removed with mineral oil applied to a cotton ball,” she adds.
• Occasional bathing. Soap can actually interfere with the healing process, and bathing too frequently can dry out baby’s skin and further irritate the diaper rash, Phillips says. Instead, bathe your child in warm water three to four times a week. If you do use soap, she recommends choosing a liquid, fragrance-free option.
• Baking soda baths. Adding a bit of baking soda can make for a soothing bath for diaper rash. It’s antibacterial, antifungal and helps neutralize the acids in poop and pee—a triple threat! Draw baby a healing diaper rash bath by mixing two tablespoons with warm water in a baby bathtub and letting your little one soak for 10 minutes, according to the Mayo Clinic. Let the skin dry completely before putting a fresh diaper back on.
• Coconut oil. Applying coconut oil for diaper rash can help moisturize the skin while creating a protective barrier. Plus, it’s antifungal to prevent those nasty yeast diaper infections.
• Plant extracts. Many moms have found that using certain extracts for diaper rash can be very helpful. A few drops of witch hazel, which has anti-inflammatory properties, can be diluted with equal parts water and brushed onto baby’s skin with a cotton ball to help soothe the rash. Calendula, a natural antibacterial, is another possible remedy and can be found in many diaper rash creams.
• Breast milk. According to the Mayo Clinic, applying breast milk on a diaper rash may be an effective remedy, although findings have been mixed. One study found breast milk to be as effective as 1 percent hydrocortisone ointment, while another study found that diaper rash cream with zinc oxide and cod liver oil yielded better results than breast milk.
How long does it take diaper rash to heal?
Diaper rash can take up to four to seven days to heal, Levine says, although it can often clear up in a couple of days. Again, call a doctor if baby’s diaper rash doesn’t get better, if it gets worse or spreads beyond the diaper area, if the area appears to be infected (oozing with pus or crusting) or if it’s associated with diarrhea, she adds. Some rashes in the diaper area may be symptoms of another illness and call for further treatment.
How to Prevent Diaper Rashes
At the end of the day, the best way to deal with diaper rash is to prevent one from happening in the first place. Here, some top tips for preventing diaper rash:
• Keep it clean. If baby has the runs, try putting them in the tub right after they go, so acidic poop doesn’t have time to burn their skin. Be sure to wash baby’s whole diaper area thoroughly with nonallergenic, mild soap and then gently pat dry.
• Choose fragrance-free. Certain ingredients in baby’s cleaning products can cause problems. The key is to lessen the amount of harsh chemicals coming into contact with baby’s sensitive skin, so switch to non-fragrance, hypoallergenic soaps, lotions, detergents and wipes.
• Try probiotics. To treat and prevent yeast diaper rashes, you might try adding some powdered probiotics (aka healthy bacteria) to baby’s bottle, since yeast infections may be triggered when unhealthy bacteria starts to outnumber the healthy kind. You can also give baby unflavored yogurt (the sweetened stuff often has lots of added sugar), since it’s loaded with a type of healthy bacteria called acidophilus, which can help boost baby’s immunity and ward off infections.
And don’t fret. If baby is prone to getting diaper rash, take heart that there’s an end in sight. Once baby is potty trained and has moved into underpants, the rashes should disappear.
Jody Levine, MD, is a New York City-based dermatologist and board-certified pediatrician. She serves as the director of dermatology at Plastic Surgery & Dermatology of NYC, where she specializes in pediatric dermatology. She earned her medical degree from the Yale School of Medicine in New Haven, Connecticut.
Laurie Belosa, MD, is a board-certified pediatrician at Summit Health in Westfield, New Jersey. She received her medical degree from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx, New York.
Dina DiMaggio, MD, is a pediatrician with Pediatric Associates of NYC and a clinical assistant professor in the department of pediatrics at NYU Grossman School of Medicine in New York City. She is also the co-author of The Pediatrician’s Guide to Feeding Babies and Toddlers: Practical Answers to Your Questions on Nutrition, Starting Solids, Allergies, Picky Eating and More. A spokesperson for the American Academy of Pediatrics, she earned her medical degree from Albert Einstein College of Medicine in 2002.
Alexis Phillips-Walker, DO, is a pediatrician with Memorial Hermann Medical Group Pediatrics Atascocita in Atascocita, Texas. She is a graduate of Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Please note: The Bump and the materials and information it contains are not intended to, and do not constitute, medical or other health advice or diagnosis and should not be used as such. You should always consult with a qualified physician or health professional about your specific circumstances.
Plus, more from The Bump:
Diaper Rash Cream to the Rescue: 13 That Work Wonders
Your Ultimate Guide to Baby Rashes
The Best Disposable Diapers for Your Baby
How to cure a fistula in a cat?
Fistula is a life-threatening disease that is easy to identify when examining an animal. An open wound appears on the skin, forming a channel between the surface of the body and internal organs, anatomical cavities in the body. Seeing an open wound with an unpleasant odor, do not look on the Internet for recommendations on how to treat a fistula in a cat, preferably without delaying showing it to the veterinarian. Some owners share their successful experience in treating the disease with antibacterial ointments or folk remedies.Such therapy may not help, but worsen the condition of the animal, provoke the development of sepsis. Antibacterial ointments, applied without removing the infected tissue, help with abscesses that look like fistulas. A specialist will be able to distinguish them during examination.
Signs of an abscess in a cat:
- A few days before the appearance of the abscess, the tissues swell, become inflamed, and become warmer to the touch than the parts of the body nearby.
- The wound is of the correct rounded shape without branches.
- After the abscess has matured, the tissues become soft, loose.
- Pus and some ichor are discharged.
- After a few days, it becomes noticeable that the wound is healing.
Signs of a fistula:
- From above, the pathological opening looks like a branched funnel.
- Pus, ichor, possibly feces or urine are excreted through the wound.
- The wool around the wound falls out, the tissues become inflamed.
- An unpleasant odor is distinctly felt.
- The wound does not heal.
With an abscess and fistula, you cannot try to squeeze out pus yourself, break through an abscess, use anti-inflammatory or wound healing folk remedies. This can lead to infection of internal organs, tissues around the wound. The veterinarian must be of assistance!
Where can a cat’s fistula appear?
Deep, pus-secreting wounds with uneven edges occur on different parts of the body.Owners may mistake a fistula on a paw or tail for a wound received in a fight with other animals. This is also the reason for going to the veterinary office.
The disease can develop:
- On the cheeks, jaws – appears during inflammatory processes in the salivary glands, dental diseases. When detected early, heals quickly.
- Fistula in a cat on the abdomen or in the genital area – appears after injuries, can connect the surface of the body and the bladder, urethra, ureter.In the wound, pus, ichor and urine are secreted, there is a smell of ammonia.
- In a cat, a hole on the side can form in case of neoplasms, intestinal obstruction, after injuries. The owner may find that feces, half-digested food enter it. In this case, the animal needs urgent veterinary assistance.
- A fistula in a cat’s tail occurs when the paraanal glands are blocked and inflamed, a pungent unpleasant odor is emitted. Due to the high risk of developing sepsis, the treatment prognosis depends on the speed of veterinary care for the animal.
A fistula on a cat’s neck, cheeks, paws, or tail is usually purulent. From it, ichor and suppuration stand out, there is an unpleasant, but not pungent odor. The wound is clearly visible. If you immediately consult a doctor when a disease is detected, the prognosis will most likely be favorable.
Fecal fistulas often appear on the abdomen, near the anus. They are more difficult to notice, often the owner learns about the problem due to the appearance of a pungent unpleasant odor.In the wound, not only pus and ichor are visible, but also feces, urine. The risk of infection of damaged tissues of the body surface or internal organs increases. Longer treatment is required, the use of potent drugs. Failure to contact the veterinarian can lead to the death of the animal.
The course of the disease, the prognosis of cure depend on the structure of the fistula. With granulation holes, the walls of the canal are affected, become loose, which contributes to the spread of infection.In epithelialized ones, the canal is smooth, wool falls out around the wound, tissues become inflamed, in labial ones, a canalless opening appears, directly connected to an internal organ or anatomical cavity.
Causes of occurrence
A cat’s fistula on the cheek, neck, side, under the tail, in the navel can be congenital, caused by pathologies of intrauterine development. Such kittens are born weak, but often survive, with timely treatment they hardly differ from healthy animals.
A pathological fistula occurs in kittens or adult cats after unsuccessful surgical interventions, trauma, with blockage and inflammation of the paraanal glands, inflammatory processes in the salivary glands, gall bladder, and disturbances in the digestive system. Do not ignore the advice of your veterinarian in the postoperative period. When treating injuries, do not miss follow-up examinations. Provide the cat with a complete diet, no stress, physical activity. Another cause of fistula is cancer.Timely diagnosis and treatment will give a chance to save your pet’s life.
Diagnostics and treatment
The veterinarian will confirm the diagnosis and tell you how to treat a cat’s fistula. To do this, he will examine the animal, do general and biochemical blood tests, ultrasound and MRI of the affected area. If cancer is suspected, a biopsy will be needed.
Granulating holes are healed without surgery.
Treatment is carried out in several stages:
- installation of drainage for removal of liquids;
- cleaning of the hole, removal of pus, dead tissue, feces;
- rinsing the canal;
- applying a bandage with wound healing, antibacterial ointments;
- the appointment of drugs that strengthen the immune system and suppress the activity of pathogenic microorganisms.
If the disease is started, and healing is slow, the edges of the wound are sutured with the imposition of wound-healing anti-inflammatory ointments and a protective dressing.
In our online store you can purchase effective drugs that will speed up the pet’s recovery:
If fistulas are detected quickly and on time in cats, treatment is relatively easy, the animal quickly recovers. It is necessary to regularly examine the pet, note changes in its behavior, indigestion, and the work of the excretory system.Consult a veterinarian in the event of alarming symptoms.
Good living conditions, good nutrition, prevention of infection with worms, timely cleaning of the paraanal glands reduce the risk of developing the disease in a cat. Examine the animal regularly, and visit your veterinarian every six months.
Surgical removal of a boil: price, reviews
A boil is a purulent or purulent-necrotic inflammation of the hair follicle, sebaceous gland and surrounding tissues.It can occur anywhere on the body where there is hair. Inflammation is provoked by the so-called opportunistic flora, most often Staphylococcus aureus. However, for the development of serious inflammation, a “favorable” soil or a combination of several factors is required. Removal of the boil is carried out taking into account the causes of the development of the disease, so it is important to understand the origins of the disease.
Causes of the appearance of a boil
Inflammation that develops as a result of the active reproduction of bacterial flora can develop for several reasons:
- general or local decrease in immune forces;
- the presence of an entrance gate for infection – trauma, skin damage;
- diabetes mellitus and systemic diseases;
- violations of hygiene rules, etc.
In many cases, there is a combination of adverse factors. In addition, it is important to remember that injuries can be subtle, such as itching when scratching skin.
Symptoms and diagnostic features
In the initial stages, a small pink or reddish lump develops. Soreness is observed when touched. The inflammatory process grows quickly enough, after a few hours or 1-2 days the infiltration increases in size, the skin becomes bright red, the pain intensifies.In many cases, the formation is hot to the touch, and the general body temperature often rises. In the center of the focus of inflammation, you can see a black dot – this is a dead hair base or the so-called purulent-necrotic rod.
Before surgical removal of the boil, a visual examination by a surgeon is usually sufficient. But sometimes additional research methods may be required, for example, ultrasound of soft tissues. This is necessary for differential diagnosis and exclusion of other diseases.
Disease development and complications
In rare cases, the boil goes away on its own. The favorable course of development consists in the gradual softening of tissues, rejection of the core. Thus, the formation is drained on its own, the contents are discharged outside. But it is extremely important to know that a spontaneous autopsy does not mean complete recovery: the pus from the boil is not always released in full, a small hole is often not enough for the full removal of the contents.In no case should you try to help yourself and squeeze the pus outward, since there is a possibility that it will be directed deep into the tissues. This can lead to the spread of infection to the subcutaneous tissue and the development of phlegmon.
If you do not receive timely help from a doctor, the inflammatory process intensifies, spreads deep into the tissues. Purulent contents accumulate under the skin, the disease develops into an abscessed boil. This is accompanied by symptoms such as an increase in the size of the formation, severe throbbing pain, a rise in body temperature, signs of general intoxication.
If neighboring hair follicles are involved in the process, a carbuncle is formed: necrosis of the skin area occurs in the center of the formation, the general condition deteriorates significantly.
A furuncle in the face area can lead to the rapid spread of infection, including to the meninges. Other serious complications include lymphangitis and lymphadenitis. The course of the disease can be complicated by thrombophlebitis and sepsis.
It is necessary to consult a surgeon as soon as possible in order to prevent the development of complications.It is especially important to do this for people suffering from chronic diseases.
If you see a surgeon in the first 1-3 days after symptoms appear, conservative methods can be used. These include antibiotic drug therapy, antiseptic dressings, and the use of drugs to stimulate the immune system. Sometimes it is advisable to perform injections at the site of the focus of inflammation. For this, anesthetics and antibiotics are used, which help to remove the purulent-necrotic core of the inflammatory formation.Non-surgical methods are effective only at the initial stage of inflammation and do not give a 100% guarantee of recovery. They are especially relevant for patients with contraindications for surgery.
Removal of the boil by surgery is performed with the ineffectiveness of conservative treatment methods, as well as the formation of an abscess. The operation is performed on an outpatient basis.
The intervention is carried out in several sequential stages:
- treatment of the skin surface with an antiseptic solution;
- performing local anesthesia.Usually, a syringe with a thin needle is used for this, so that the injection is as comfortable and painless as possible;
- opening of the boil. Making a small incision allows you to gain access to the cavity of a purulent formation;
- reorganization. With the help of special tools, purulent contents, dead tissue areas are removed, then the cavity is rinsed with antiseptic solutions;
- drainage. Drainage is installed into the cavity of the formation.It can be a special strip of rubber (for a small wound) or gauze turunda impregnated with drugs on a water-soluble basis (for a large focus of inflammation). Drainage is necessary to prevent rapid overgrowth of the skin, it is important that the wound continues to be cleaned and the outflow of exudate is ensured;
- application of a multi-layer aseptic dressing.
After performing the intervention, the doctor will tell you about how often you need to come for dressings and what medications to use at home.Usually a course of antibiotic therapy is prescribed, immunomodulatory drugs may be required.
Surgical treatment of a boil does not imply hospitalization. Usually, patients do not experience severe pain, but it is better to consult with the surgeon in advance about the use of pain relievers. The first dressing is usually performed the next day after surgery. In many cases, three visits to the doctor are sufficient, and after removal of the drainage, self-care of the postoperative wound is allowed.Complete healing takes 7-14 days, depending on the prevalence of the inflammatory process and overall health and defenses.
Benefits of contacting the Family Doctor clinic
You can remove a boil in Moscow at an affordable price in the Family Doctor clinic. Highly qualified surgeons perform operations of any complexity. Our patients can count on high quality services, as well as receive an integrated approach. Modern equipment allows us to offer modern methods of physiotherapy to accelerate postoperative recovery.
To make an appointment at a convenient time for you, call the unified contact center in Moscow +7 (495) 775 75 66, fill out the online registration form or contact the clinic’s registry.
doctor-oncologist, surgeon, coloproctologist, doctor of ultrasound diagnostics
surgeon, oncologist, doctor of ultrasound diagnostics
surgeon, oncologist, Ph.M.Sc.
surgeon, oncologist, phlebologist
surgeon, oncologist, endoscopist, coloproctologist
Treatment of bedsores – Lita-Color
Prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers
Treating and treating pressure ulcers at home is a painstaking process to prepare for.
It is inconvenient to care for pressure ulcers on the buttocks or sacrum due to the patient’s lying supine position. Therefore, our pressure sore treatments meet several requirements: ease of use and infrequent dressing changes.
But you need to start with the choice of antiseptic agents, which are used to wash the bedsores before applying the bandage. It is not recommended to use hydrogen peroxide, potassium permanganate, brilliant green or iodine . These agents dry out the surface of the wound and damage the granulation tissue.Healing of pressure ulcers proceeds more effectively in a humid environment: for this purpose, special dressings are used for this purpose, which help create the effect of a “wet chamber”.
Lita-Tsvet wipes and gels, as a means for healing , have shown efficacy in the treatment of pressure ulcers, due to the composition that
- preserves every living cell in the wound,
- creates favorable conditions for the restoration of damaged tissues,
- creates conditions for fluid movement between the wound and the dressing,
- reduces the concentration of decay products in the wound,
- has a strong antibacterial effect.
Wipes and gels “Lita-Tsvet” – a unique development of the Russian company NPF “Lita-Tsvet” – including bioprotector “Exolin” ®, which is a peptide bioregulator that stimulates the processes of skin regeneration, enriched with amino acids, uronic acids and minerals. It retains the ability to act on cells of damaged tissues as stimulators of the growth and maturation of healthy cells of the tissues surrounding the ulcer.A broad-spectrum antibiotic – gentomycin, dissolving in the hydrogel, soaks the wound and dressing, creating reliable antimicrobial protection. Gentomycin protects tissues from additional infection.
Additionally, when treating bedsores, if there are no contraindications, take 500 mg of vitamin C 2 times a day for 7-10 days and a lot of protein foods (egg white, chicken meat). This is carried out against the background of the treatment of the underlying disease.
Degree of pressure sores
- Pale skin in these parts of the body, slight redness. The skin is not broken. It passes after the cessation of squeezing, light massage, change of position.
- Not fading redness. Does not go away after stopping the squeezing. Painful sores and superficial growths on the skin. Erosion, vesicles, blisters. Redness and flaking of the epidermis (top layer of the skin)
- Deep lesion of all layers of the skin.Swelling. Severe redness. Crater-like ulcers, the bottom of which is filled with a yellow mass (decaying tissue) or red granulation (bright red tissue with a granular surface). Bad smell.
- The defeat of all layers of the skin, muscles and bones. Necrosis. The tissue is dead. The bottom of the ulcer is filled with black pieces of skin.
With a cerebral stroke, bedsores appear in the first three to five days. Therefore, from the first day, preventive measures of caring for the patient are needed, with which the doctor will introduce you.
If preventive measures are not effective enough and bedsores appear, treatment should be started immediately.
The treatment for pressure ulcers consists of three stages:
- Restore blood circulation at the site of skin damage.
- Cleanse the wound from wound exudate, pus, necrotic masses.
- Assist in the rapid healing of a cleansed wound.
The effectiveness of Lita-Tsvet wound healing agents in the treatment of pressure ulcers has been confirmed by the results of clinical trials at the largest clinical bases in the country, in some research institutes and centers, in a number of clinical hospitals and military hospitals in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Yaroslavl, Novosibirsk, Samara , Vladikavkaz and other cities of Russia.
How to treat at different stages – About Palliative
What is pressure sores
Pressure sores of stage 1
Pressure sores of stage 2
Pressure sores of stage 3
Pressure sores of stage 4
What is diaper rash
Diaper rash of degree 1
Diaper rash 3 degrees
What affects the appearance of diaper rash and pressure sores
In seriously ill people, especially bedridden, the condition of the skin changes over time – it becomes dry, sensitive and thin.This is due to a decrease in collagen and fat production. Such skin is easily injured and heals for a long time. If you take care of it incorrectly, irritation will appear, an infection will join – diaper rash and bedsores will appear.
In this article we will tell you what it is and how to treat it.
But first – basic rules for caring for a bedridden patient . It is important to know them, including for the treatment of diaper rash and bedsores.
- If a person cannot move by himself (too weak, partially or completely paralyzed, has a lot of weight, edema, etc.)) change the position of his body every 2 hours.
- Do not rely only on the anti-decubitus mattress: it protects the 2 hours that the person lies motionless. But then the pose needs to be changed.
- Place the person in the correct physiological postures. Use pillows and rollers for this.
- Protect vulnerable areas (all protruding parts of the body – heels, elbows, knees and others) with available means (soft cloths, rags) or special devices.
- Observe hygiene.Wipe or wash the person daily, paying special attention to problem areas. Use a dishwasher.
- Keep your skin not only clean, but also moisturized: use professional skin care cosmetics.
- Change diapers as often as possible – a person should not be wet and dirty!
- Make the bed correctly, do not use waterproof mats (they create a “greenhouse effect” for the skin) or minimize their negative impact by using additional layers of fabric – bedspreads, blankets, terry sheets, etc.
- Watch your clothes and bed linen: there should be no folds, seams. Should not chafe or squeeze, be too warm.
- Examine the human body 2 times a day in order to notice the problem in time.
Remember: diaper rash and bedsores are not independent diseases. These are the consequences of poor care.
Video: Moving a patient in bed Video for 3 minutes on how to properly lift a person in bed and move him from one side of the bed to the other
Pressure sores are formed as a result of constant compression of soft tissues.Simply put, when a person lies in one position for a long time, some parts of the body are constantly squeezed. Blood circulation and nutrition are disturbed, soft tissues begin to slowly die off. This is called soft tissue necrosis.
The process of formation of pressure ulcers “starts” after two hours of immobility of the body!
Decubitus ulcers are characterized by a change in skin color with clear boundaries, swelling, weeping wounds. If they are not treated in a timely manner, the volume and depth of the lesions increase rapidly.Most often, bedsores occur on the heels, knees, elbows, tailbone, buttocks. It depends on what position the person predominantly lies in.
There are 4 stages of development of pressure ulcers .
Stage 1. Pale redness
What it looks like : Pale skin area or, conversely, persistent redness. The skin is not damaged. If you press your finger into the center of the reddened area, the skin will turn pale. This suggests that microcirculation is not impaired.
Stage 1 bedsore on the back. Photo: CPP
Stage 1 bedsore. Photo: ECDC Center
Getting sick, but smiling is the norm Alexey Vasikov, director of the House of Mercy of blacksmith Lobov, about what “norm” means for a seriously ill person and why it sometimes surprises us
How to treat
It is important not to allow so that the process of formation of bedsores develops further. Make sure that the person does not lie on the injured place, use protective film breathable dressings (like “second skin”).
You can gently massage healthy skin around the area of redness – stroking it clockwise. It is permissible to use activating agents for massage. They improve the microcirculation of blood in tissues, which leads to an improvement in metabolic processes in tissues, and, consequently, to an improvement in their condition and an increase in resistance to the effects of negative factors.
These products include special creams and gels with camphor or guarana. But, remember, in no case should you use camphor alcohol and the like.
This article will help you understand the variety of foams, dry shampoos, creams and lotions for hygiene, including in special cases – with pressure ulcers, established stoma, urinary and fecal incontinence.
Stage 2. Fading redness
Looks like: Skin color – cyanotic red, spots with clear edges; skin with superficial damage – abrasions, blisters. Usually already accompanied by pain.
Stage 1 bedsore. Photo: Center for Palliative Care, St.Moscow
Stage 2 bedsore. Photo: Center for Palliative Care, Moscow
How to deal with unpleasant odors in the house of a seriously ill person Why are unpleasant odors formed, is there a specific “smell of old age” and how to cope with this problem
How to treat
It is necessary to prevent infection wounds. It should be rinsed with sterile saline at room temperature, and then a transparent semi-permeable film, hydrocolloid or foam dressing should be applied.To prevent the formation of bedsores from developing further, perform all anti-bedsore procedures.
Stage 3. Damage to the skin to the muscle layer or with penetration into the muscles
Looks like: The edges of the wound are well demarcated, surrounded by swelling and redness; the inside of the wound may be yellow or red. This is necrosis (tissue death) or granulation (tissue overgrowth). There may be liquid discharge. Hurts a lot.
Stage 2 bedsore. Photo: Center for Palliative Care, St.Moscow
Stage 3 bedsore. Photo: Center for Palliative Care, Moscow
Video: Treatment of deep bedsores What to do and how to care if a person has deep bedsores and you do not have the opportunity to see a doctor
How to treat
Stage 3 bedsores should be treated only by a doctor … It will cleanse the wound of exudate (fluid that is released from small blood vessels during inflammation) and pus. It will remove necrotic (dead) tissue surgically or dissolve necrosis with the help of special gel dressings, wash the wounds with saline.With a secondary infection and purulent discharge, he will prescribe antibacterial agents (for example, metronidazole).
It is important to ensure the absorption of the discharge and to protect the wound from drying out and infection. For this, atraumatic bactericidal and absorbent dressings are used: based on beeswax with bactericidal properties, hydrogel, based on calcium alginate. They can also have a hemostatic effect.
After cleaning the wound, it is necessary to stimulate the healing process.And, of course, continue all the necessary anti-decubitus procedures.
Stage 4. All soft tissue is damaged, tendons and bones are visible
What looks like: There are many pits that can connect. The bottom of the wound is often filled with black or black-brown masses of decaying tissue. Very strong, intolerable pain.
Stage 4 bedsore. Photo: Center for Palliative Care, Moscow
Last stage bedsore, tissue necrosis. Photo: ECDO Center
How to treat
Such bedsores are also treated only by a doctor.It does the same thing as stage 3 pressure sores, plus, if necessary, adds prevention and control of bleeding. For this, atraumatic dressings are used and locally – a solution of ethamsylate and aminocaproic acid, calcium alginate.
Pressure ulcers. Caregiver Quiz Do you know enough about caring for a sedentary person? Test your knowledge.
Most often, diaper rash (inflammation) is formed in places where the skin constantly rubs, is damp and there is no access to air – for example, on the neck, in the armpits, under the breast (in women), in the folds of the abdomen, in the groin folds, between fingers.The main cause of diaper rash is poor hygiene. Sometimes taking certain chemotherapy drugs also contributes to the onset of diaper rash.
Itching irritation, burning, pain is characteristic of diaper rash. The skin changes color, the boundaries of redness are blurred. There is an unpleasant smell.
Diaper rash differs from pressure ulcers in the main symptoms of manifestations, the mechanism of development and predominant localization.
Allocate 3 degrees of development of diaper rash:
What it looks like: redness and itching without visible damage to the skin.
How to treat
Cleanse your skin regularly to keep it breathing. Replace bed and underwear with seamless soft and natural fabrics. To help a person sweat less, review their diet and food temperature (food should be warm, not hot).
Organization of medical nutrition for a seriously ill person Why appetite worsens, how to check the function of swallowing and how to feed a seriously ill person
Wash the affected skin with infusion of oak, chamomile, sage or string bark.After the procedure, let the skin dry well and dust with baby powder or potato starch. Or you can apply products with zinc or arginine – a thin layer until completely absorbed.
2nd degree. Lesions of moderate severity
Looks like: the skin is damaged. It has ulcers, itching and burning.
How to treat
Use mild non-traumatic antiseptic solutions (chlorhexidine, rivanol, etc.) and epidermis restoration agents (dexpanthenol, bepanten).To relieve itching, reduce inflammation and dry the skin, use antihistamines, as well as ointments or pastes (Lassara, Teymurova, Desitin).
3rd degree. Severe lesions.
What it looks like: deep non-healing cracks, unpleasant odor. The affected area is increasing. There is a burning sensation and pain.
How to treat
The treatment approach is the same as in the 3rd stage of treatment for pressure ulcers.
All actions should be directed to prevent the development of infection, relieve pain and reduce inflammation.
What affects the appearance of diaper rash and pressure sores
As we wrote above, diaper rash and bedsores are a sign that you need to closely monitor the patient, that care is insufficient. But there are factors that make the situation worse.
- increased sweating,
- urinary and fecal incontinence;
- circulatory disorders;
- allergic reactions;
- changes in blood sugar levels, metabolic disorders in the body.
- eating problems (inappropriate diet, lack of appetite)
- taking any medications.
- unfavorable environmental conditions: hot weather, poor ventilation in the room where the person is;
- uncomfortable and tight clothes, improperly selected bedding and disposable linen.
Fall prevention How to organize space and choose shoes and clothes for your loved one to reduce the risks of falling
Some of these factors can be eliminated, some cannot.It is especially difficult if your loved one has one or more additional circumstances / conditions:
- deep old age,
- terminal state,
- pronounced neurological disorders (sensory, motor),
- change in consciousness (significant confusion or lack of consciousness),
- previous major surgical intervention lasting more than two hours, trauma.
Anyway – please stay close to your loved one, try to arrange for him the best possible care.
To help you, we have prepared not one, but a whole series of videos on the treatment and prevention of pressure ulcers. They are short (7 to 20 minutes) and descriptive. To see, follow the link.
If you have any questions, please call the Terminally Ill People Hotline 8 800 700 84 36 . It works around the clock and is free.
A few more articles on the topic that may interest you:
Visitor services: where to look and who can teach:
Part 1 .We figure out who is who in the system of patronage care, what services are required from the state, how NGOs and Orthodox sisterhoods can help.
Part 2. Do I need to learn how to care if a loved one is ill, how are things going with private services and how patronage care is arranged in palliative
Caring for a patient with a hip fracture
On the prevention of complications after a hip fracture and features caring for someone with this dangerous injury.
Do not be afraid to ask: how to ask the doctor questions correctly
What questions to ask at the consultation, what to take with you and why it will be better if the doctor tells about the prognosis.
Functional beds for the home: which one to choose?
What a special bed gives, what they are, how much they cost and what you need to check if you take a used bed.
The material was prepared using a grant from the President of the Russian Federation provided by the Presidential Grants Fund.
The article uses illustrations, including those from the teaching aids of the ECDO Training Center.
Epithelial coccygeal duct (coccyx cyst, coccyx fistula): symptoms, diagnosis, treatment of epithelial coccygeal duct (coccyx cyst, coccyx fistula)
The epithelial coccygeal passage is a congenital defect in the form of a narrow channel in the soft tissues under the skin of the sacrococcygeal region.The stroke is located in the fold between the buttocks, and comes out to the surface of the skin with one or more small holes (primary holes). Inside the course are sweat and sebaceous glands, hair follicles, connective tissue fibers. The products of their vital activity leave through the primary openings in the form of secretions, and infection can penetrate through these openings into the tissue.
In the absence of inflammation, the epithelial coccygeal passage gives practically no symptoms.An exception may be minor discharge from the stroke, moisturizing of the skin between the buttocks, itching.
Inflammation of the epithelial coccygeal passage
When the holes of the epithelial coccygeal passage are blocked or mechanically traumatized, inflammation occurs, in which fatty tissue is involved. An abscess is formed – an abscess, which often breaks through the skin on its own. Despite the fact that after the breakthrough, the symptoms are smoothed out, and the state of health improves, independent breakouts are dangerous by the formation of a fistula – a narrow channel through which pus from the inflammation zone will go out (the external opening of a purulent fistula is formed in the area of abscess breakthrough).Fistula with an inflamed epithelial coccygeal passage is not associated with the rectum!
Reasons for development
There are the following versions, according to which the development of pathology occurs.
- In the first case, we are talking about disorders that arise even at the stage of human embryonic development. Failure manifests itself in the appearance of thin channels that resemble enlarged pores. The canals are lined from the inside with epithelial tissue and hair, sweat and sebaceous glands emerge on their surface.
- Another reason for the development of the epithelial coccygeal passage, or the pilonidal cyst, is the hormonal characteristics of the human body, which in parallel can be manifested by excessive hair growth.
- There was also a correlation between the presence of the disease and the physiological characteristics of the patient’s body. In particular, we are talking about strongly pronounced buttocks and an overly deep fold between them.
Symptoms of an inflamed epithelial coccygeal passage:
- Pain of various nature and intensity in the buttocks, coccyx
- Tumor formation above the anus
- Redness, induration and swelling of tissues between the buttocks
- Purulent discharge in the area of inflammation
With incorrect or untimely treatment, the focus of inflammation in the epithelial coccygeal course remains, and the disease becomes chronic.During the period of remission, there are practically no symptoms, sometimes pain or discomfort in the coccyx area can be felt, and slight discharge from the holes of the stroke appears. At the same time, the focus of inflammation inside the tissues remains, and the disease can worsen at any time. The chronic inflammatory process in the epithelial coccygeal course is characterized by the appearance of infiltrates, purulent fistulas, and recurrent abscesses.
Treatment of the epithelial coccygeal passage is surgical.Conservative treatment does not address the underlying source of inflammation. If surgical treatment is not carried out in time, the entire area around the sacrum and coccyx is involved in the inflammatory process, purulent fistulas can open not only in the sacrum region, but also on the skin of the perineum. In such cases, an operation will still be required, but its volume may become much larger.
It is important to understand that just opening an abscess can slightly reduce symptoms, and the patient will feel relief.However, it is impossible to talk about the cure of pathology in this case. In most cases, a pilonidal cyst develops into chronic inflammation. Only a radical operation can completely eliminate the disease and consists in the complete removal of the epithelial passage and all its branches. The duration of the operation, depending on its volume, is 20-30 minutes. Adequate anesthetic support avoids discomfort during the intervention. The period of disability after surgical treatment is minimized.
Pathology in the form of an epithelial coccygeal passage occurs only in men. The frequency of diagnosing this disease is quite high – 1 case per 300-400 born boys. At a young age, a pilonidal cyst may not be inconvenient and may not manifest itself in any way. However, with the onset of puberty and older, it is difficult to ignore the disease.
At the reception, a proctologist diagnoses an uncomplicated epithelial coccygeal passage during a visual examination, a symptom confirming the pathology is the holes in the fold between the buttocks.If, along with this, local inflammation is detected and fistulous passages are noticeable, the proctologist can diagnose a complicated pilonidal cyst. Also, during the consultation, the proctologist conducts a finger examination aimed at excluding other pathologies. In particular, it is necessary to make sure that there are no changes in the area of the Morgan crypts – anatomical depressions in the terminal segment of the rectum, as well as in the area of the coccygeal and sacral vertebrae.
Prevention of diaper rash in newborns: causes of diaper rash
It is desirable that they do not contain parabens, synthetic preservatives, fragrances and dyes.
To combat excess moisture in the skin, you can add decoctions of some herbs to the water when bathing, or use a weak solution of potassium permanganate (potassium permanganate). The string and oak bark dry the skin and stimulate its protective properties, while chamomile, celandine and nettle have an anti-inflammatory effect. Ready-made collections of the necessary herbs can be bought at the pharmacy. Considering that herbs can cause allergies, it is recommended to do a test before bathing: apply a herbal decoction to the skin area and wait – if redness appears, then you do not need to use this collection.It is better to use each type of herbs separately, in the case of brewing an herbal mix, it will be difficult to determine which component has developed a reaction.
To combat increased skin moisture, powders are often used, which are a mixture of powdered substances of mineral or plant origin. The main components of powders are talc or starch, which is obtained from potatoes, rice or corn. Sometimes herbal extracts are added to powders6. The use of powders is discussed by pediatricians, there is an opinion about the danger of inhalation of powdered substances that make up their composition5.Moreover, dusting powder quickly collects deep in the folds of the skin, and the rest of the skin turns out to be moist.
Therefore, pediatricians increasingly recommend giving preference to ointment forms of funds because of their safety for the baby and numerous positive effects. So, similar funds 3 :
- Create a layer on the skin surface to protect it from moisture and other damaging factors;
- Moisturize and nourish the skin, increasing resistance to external influences;
- Smoothes skin by reducing friction.
Means for a diaper are called barrier, because they create a reliable barrier between the skin and the external environment, while not preventing the penetration of air. A good protective effect is given by creams and ointments, which include provitamin B5 (dexpanthenol). This component, penetrating into the skin, turns into pantothenic acid (vitamin B5). In its pure form, pantothenic acid is practically not used in medicines, since it is unstable, easily destroyed in the body, and poorly penetrates the skin7.
- Vitamin B5 in the skin performs the following functions:
- Stimulates cell division, restoring the upper layer of the skin (epidermis) and accelerating the natural healing of damage;
- Accelerates metabolic processes, increasing the protective properties of the skin;
- Fights inflammation;
- Increases the formation of lipids, which create a protective lipid layer on the skin surface;
- Makes the skin supple and soft.
High-quality barrier products do not contain dyes, fragrances, synthetic preservatives and other substances potentially hazardous to a child, especially a newborn.Due to the natural hypoallergenic composition, such products are suitable for the prevention of diaper rash in children from birth. They can be applied at every diaper change 1 .
An example of a proven barrier agent is Bepanten ® Ointment, which, thanks to its high content of natural lanolin, creates a dense protective layer on the surface of the skin without interfering with breathing.
Bepanten ® The ointment can be used both for prophylactic purposes (on healthy baby skin) and for medicinal purposes (on skin with noticeable redness).This is possible thanks to natural ingredients that stimulate the protective function of the skin and its natural regeneration.
If symptoms worsen or irritation develops, seek medical attention. Worsening of the condition may be associated with the development of infectious complications, which are often difficult and require serious treatment. To prevent these problems, it is important to follow the recommendations for the prevention of diaper rash and regularly use Bepanten ® Ointment, without waiting for the appearance of diaper rash 2 .
90,000 Chapter 1892. Red Misty Mink / Super God Gene
The small creature was wounded and screamed in pain. It turned around and jumped towards Han Sen. But the guy was very fast, as his Toothy Rabbit boots were of the Duke’s class, and this speed was enough to get away.
The creature was only of the Earl class, so it was much slower than Han Sen.
The youth moved like a shadow. He swung his Ghost Tooth Knife and struck the small creature again. After each blow, a small wound remained on the creature. Over time, after many blows, such cuts covered his entire body.
The wounds continued to bleed and a purple mist oozed from them.The wounds began to widen, and now everything depended on time.
The creature was injured and could no longer endure the pain, so it tried to return to Red Mist Valley to escape.
Han Sen was suppressed. He possessed high speed and a good knife, but unfortunately his strength was actually quite low.The Viscount-class divine light, along with the Ghosttooth Knife, failed to seriously injure a Graf-class creature.
He continued to attack the creature with all his might, but he still managed to escape into the valley.
– Little uncle, lure him out again! – Han Sen retreated to the place where he could hide.
The little uncle ran back to the entrance to the valley, but now he had no bike, as it was damaged.
– Hey, where did you run away? Come out and fight Grandpa Wang again! Wang Yuhang continued to scream as he stared into the fog, but the creature no longer showed up. Perhaps the creature was really badly injured, so it did not come out.
Wang Yuhang shouted for a while, but soon his voice became hoarse. However, their opponent refused to show up again.
– Hey, can’t you? If not, then we just need to find another way, ” King Xie Qing shouted to Wang Yuhang.
The man answered confidently:
– What are you talking about? What do you mean it doesn’t work? I’m not going to give up so quickly.
After that, Wang Yuhang turned his back to the valley entrance and pulled down his pants.He
bent down, exposing his ass, and thus tried to provoke the creature in the fog:
– If you have the courage, then come out and fight with me!
After Wang Yuhang screamed, a red shadow appeared.It was the same creature, and blood continued to flow from its wounds. The creature looked angry, as if Wang Yuhang had just killed his parents.
The man ran and finally summoned the armor. Unfortunately, he was a little late and they managed to bite him. The creature bit off a large chunk of flesh from its ass, and the wound began to bleed profusely.
– God! – Wang Yuhang kept running as fast as he could.Fortunately, he was able to don the armor and avoid repeated bites. But the blood from the wound dyed the armor red.
The creature was not going to give up and continued to run after Wang Yuhang.
Han Sen grabbed a knife and ran after him. Given his speed, the young man was able to quickly catch up with them.With his Phantom Knife, he was able to leave a terrible wound. The resulting wounds still continued to bleed and spread, and he was unable to recover quickly.
The creature wanted to kill the man, but Han Sen hit him again. After that, it looked like the creature came to its senses, and it tried to return to the valley again.
No Han Sen continued to hit him.He fully activated Jade Skin and the Blood Pulse Sutra. His body began to resemble jade, and his blood began to boil.
Don! Don! Don!
After three blows from Han Sen, it seemed that his blood would now begin to flow from his body. Then a strange blood-like power entered his Ghost Tooth Knife and dyed it red.
[The mutated blood has reached the Viscount class.]
The announcement sounded in Han Sen’s head and made him truly delighted.The Blood Pulse Sutra was finally able to move to the next level.
Red Knife Ghost Tooth is covered with divine light from Jade Skin. The guy immediately caught up with the creature and chopped off his legs.
Han Sen became very happy.The red knife in his hand was sparkling and blood was dripping from it. Before the enemy could hide in the fog, the guy managed to cut off his head.
Han Sen was happy. He lifted the creature’s carcass and began to cut it open. The young man discovered a red bone inside his body, which he knew was a valuable xenogeneic gene.
– Help! I’m dying. ”Wang Yuhang lay on the ground and shouted.His ass was badly damaged.
“No one told you to be so reckless.” King Xie Qing punched Wang Yuhang’s bleeding ass, causing the man to scream again.
– You guys don’t have a heart. I’ve done so much for you!
King Xie Qing looked at the man with contempt and said:
– You did it.
– Silver Fox, cure him, – shouted Han Sen to Little Fox.
– No … ah! Before Wang Yuhang could finish, the silver fox shot two lightning bolts at him – one from each eye. They kicked the man in the ass, and he screamed in more pain.
The healing of the Silver Fox Viscount class was very effective. Its only drawback was that the process was painful. However, Wang Yuhang’s wounds healed rather quickly.
– Little uncle, try again. We need to find out if there are more creatures in the valley. ”Han Sen smiled at Wang Yuhan.
Although the man no longer wanted to do this, he nevertheless approached the entrance and shouted loudly.However, this time he did not take off his pants.
Some time passed, but no one showed up. However, King Xie Qing decided to paint shadows and sent them to the valley. They soon disappeared, but not because they were attacked.
“It looks like there are no more xenogeneic gene holders inside.” King Xie Qing put down the book and walked to the valley.
Then everyone entered the valley, no one else attacked them. However, the red fog was too thick for them to see.
– The fog is too thick! I can not see anything. I will not be able to see the treasures, even if they are here, ”Wang Yuhang said.
They could not find anything there, so they eventually left the valley.
– There must be at least something. But it annoys me that I can’t see anything. ”King Xie Qing frowned.
Han Sen was about to say something, but suddenly a ship flew up to Mirror Lake.
“It doesn’t look like the Rebates ship.But who would want to visit this planet? ”
– Han Sen frowned and urged everyone to return.
There were not many electronic devices on the Eclipse Planet, therefore, in order to obtain information, they had to return to base.