Crackers for nausea: The request could not be satisfied
How Do Saltines & Ginger Ale Treat Nausea?
Saltines help absorb stomach acid and reduce nausea.
Image Credit: Garrett Aitken/iStock/GettyImages
Nausea is a queasy feeling that includes an urge to vomit. Fortunately, there are ways to calm nausea. It’s commonly caused by pregnancy, chemotherapy medications, viral gastroenteritis, gastroparesis, motion sickness, migraine and many other health conditions, according to the Mayo Clinic.
Saltines help nausea because they are odorless, a little salty, light and pass through the stomach easily. Ginger, not necessarily ginger ale, helps nausea by providing to the bioactive compounds shogaol and gingerol.
Saltines for Nausea
MedlinePlus recommends that pregnant women experiencing morning sickness eat crackers before getting out of bed in the morning. Bland foods are best for nausea, and saltine crackers pass easily through the stomach, according to the Cleveland Clinic.
The Cleveland Clinic goes on to state that saltine crackers help nausea because the crackers soak up irritation-causing acid from an empty stomach, are less likely to cause nausea because they don’t smell, have salt to help replace lost electrolytes and prevent more acid from being released in the stomach. There are a lot of pros, with saltines, for nausea.
The National Cancer Institute also recommends saltines for nausea in cancer patients. It seems that saltines can help ease nausea, no matter the cause. Grab some saltines when you’re feeling nauseous. If you’re experiencing some morning sickness, place some saltines on your nightstand so you can eat some after you wake up, to help settle your stomach.
Read More: The Best Foods to Eat to Prevent Vomiting
Ginger Ale for Nausea
It’s the ginger in ginger ale that helps with nausea. Check the label, because some ginger ale companies put artificial flavoring instead of real ginger in their ginger ale, according to the Cleveland Clinic, so they recommend choosing ginger root instead of ginger ale.
The soda has much sugar. That, combined with the carbonation, can make bloating, stomach aches and nausea even worse. Reach for some ginger tea ,or a ginger supplement, as one of the best ways to calm nausea.
You can make your own ginger tea by grabbing some ginger root from the grocery store, peeling it, cutting a small bit (about a teaspoon) and putting that in some warm water, advises the Cleveland Clinic. You can also try powdered ginger, low-sugar ginger lollipops or candies and foods that contain ginger, such as ginger snaps.
A January, 2017, review published in Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition found that ginger has multiple properties that help ease chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV). These come from bioactive compounds, including shogaol and gingerol.
Ginger capsules of 1 gram, taken once a day, can relieve chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting, according to an August, 2016, study published in the Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. Chamomile was also used in the study, and proved helpful for calming nausea.
An April, 2018, study published in Foods found that ginger is safe and effective for treating morning sickness in pregnant women. Nausea and vomiting during pregnancy affects 7 in 10 women.
Read More: The Best Food to Eat With a Stomach Bug
Ways to Calm Nausea
When you’re eating food for nausea and upset stomach, Cleveland Clinic and MedlinePlus recommend reaching for bland foods with little to no odor, and avoiding spicy, fatty or salty foods. You probably won’t want to, but if you have an appetite, make sure you avoid eating large meals. Eat smaller portions frequently throughout the day. Also, make sure you’re staying hydrated, but not drinking too much at once. Sip water, or other clear, non-sugary fluids through a straw. BreastCancer.org recommends reaching for cool or room temperature foods, instead of hot foods.
Here’s a list of some food for nausea and upset stomach courtesy of the Cleveland Clinic and BreastCancer.org. Try this list of food for nausea and upset stomach if you’re not feeling well:
- Poultry or soy instead of red meat
- Clear soup
- Fruit flavored gelatin
- Low-fat pudding
- Boiled starches like potatoes and vegetables
- Noodles (plain)
- Bread sticks
- Dry cereal
Tips to Ease Morning Sickness
When the event is planned, hearing the news that you are pregnant is an exhilarating experience filled with joy and expectation. Preparations soon begin including plans for the nursery and daydreaming about what will be the sex of the new addition to your family. All things “baby” are delightful until somewhere between 4-6 weeks of pregnancy the queasy stomach starts. Morning sickness effects seventy to eighty percent of pregnant women, and over 60,000 cases of extreme morning sickness or hyperemesis gravidarum (HG) occur each year, and are admitted to the hospital for treatment.
Morning sickness is thought to be caused by the changes in your hormones in combination with blood sugar and the increased sense of smell that occurs when pregnant. The sickly feelings usually occur in the morning and ease up as the day goes on. In most cases, morning sickness subsides as pregnancy progresses. Usually by the second trimester, being green around the gills is no longer an issue. If you are suffering with extreme morning sickness, check out the symptoms at the website below, and check with your care provider to see if you can take any medications.
If you aren’t suffering from HG, there are a few easy things you can do that will help alleviate your sickly symptoms.
Get plenty of rest.
A good night’s sleep goes a long way in increasing your overall well-being. Make wise choices with your time as it pertains to sleep. Go to bed and get up at the same time each day to help establish good sleep habits. Try taking a nap during the day if possible.
Eat Saltine Crackers
Keep a package of saltine crackers beside the bed and eat a few before getting up. The sodium bicarbonate in the crackers will help to settle your stomach acids, and may prevent a queasy episode all together. Take your time getting out of bed in the morning. Move slowly.
Eat Often and Eat Smart
An empty stomach is more prone to queasiness than a stomach that has food to digest. Eat often and eat smaller portions. Avoid fatty and/or spicy foods, as well as, caffeine. These types of foods can exacerbate morning sickness. At night, eat something high in protein before going to bed. This will help maintain your blood sugar levels. Snacks such as gingerbread, ginger ale, ginger tea, or ginger cookies can effectively help prevent nausea.
Dehydration can lead to nausea so be sure to get plenty of water and other fluids. Some women report that a clear carbonated beverage helps prevent squeamish stomachs.
Focus On Other Things
Do not let your mind dwell on your stomach. Keep your mind busy reading a book, watching a movie, or go for a walk.
Loosen Your Belt
Wearing tight clothing can make your morning sickness worse so wear loose comfortable pants and shirts.
Take Your Pre-natal Vitamins with Food
Taking big vitamins on an empty stomach can even queasify the un-pregnant. Always take your vitamins with a meal.
What helped you most when suffering from morning sickness?
How To Battle Morning Sickness
Half of pregnant women suffer from waves of nausea and/or vomiting called morning sickness, which ironically doesn’t only take place in the a. m. Most women with this common pregnancy side effect get sick at any time of day, some even wake in the middle of the night feeling queasy. Morning sickness is usually caused by the flood of hormones that pregnant women experience, low blood sugar, and dehydration. While not all those who are expecting have these uncomfortable symptoms, many of them do, and a small percentage suffer throughout their entire pregnancy. Most, however, start to feel better shortly after the first trimester. Either way, morning sickness can be a miserable way to begin your pregnancy and can really take a toll on the expecting mother. Be sure to always consult with your doctor or midwife and let them know if you’re experiencing symptoms. In the meantime, follow these simple, healthy, and helpful tips to battle those squeamish feelings…
1. Stay hydrated. One reason many pregnant women start to feel nauseated is from lack of water. Drink plenty of liquids. And if water is too bland, try mixing juice and water, snack on popsicles, jello, or water-packed fruit like watermelon. Ice-cold drinks also help soothe upset stomachs.
2. Ginger. Ginger root is a proven natural remedy for nausea. Steep some ginger tea, suck on a piece of ginger candy, have some ginger ale, ginger bread, or even a ginger dressing on top of a small salad. Any form of ginger will do. If you’re not a fan of the taste, pick up some ginger supplements at your local health food store.
3. Almonds. Protein is an important part of keeping the queasy feelings at bay. Snack on a handful of almonds several times a day to get your protein (and energy) fix!
4. Saltine crackers. Saltines can be a morning sickness sufferer’s best friend. Keep a pack besides the bed and in your purse, so they are always in reach when you’re feeling bad. They can usually help an unsettled tummy on the quick. Spread on a little peanut butter if they’re not your favorite snack.
5. Smell fresh lemon. Often times morning sickness is triggered by sensitivities to certain smells. To help ward off bothersome scents, take a whiff of a freshly cut lemon.
6. Peppermint. Sucking on peppermint candy or drinking peppermint tea can help with nausea.
7. Yogurt. Mix greek or plain yogurt with a spoonful of honey to coat the stomach and work as a natural antacid. Bonus: Yogurt is also packed with protein.
8. Snack often. The best way to fight off morning sickness is to eat often. As hard as that may sound, eating small meals around the clock and keeping your stomach neutral and happy is what will help the nausea subside. You’ll also have more energy, which is a plus for growing a baby!
9. Premesis. If you’ve tried the tips above and they don’t seem to be helping, talk to your doctor about Premesis. It’s a prenatal vitamin that contains Calcium, Folic Acid, B6, and B12, and is often gentler on the stomach than regular prenatal vitamins. Some woman suffering from morning sickness swear by it.
*If you experience severe nausea or vomiting, seek medical attention right away.
For severe morning sickness, ‘Take Two Crackers and Call Me in the Morning’
Nutritionist Miriam Erick has been helping women with severe morning sickness, or hyperemesis gravidarum (HG), figure out what kinds of foods to eat for decades.
Her four books on the subject include “Take Two Crackers and Call Me in the Morning: A Real-Life Guide for Surviving Morning Sickness,” and her biggest piece of advice is “Listen to your cravings — if your body is telling you that it wants something, then just eat whatever that is.” Her only caveat: no alcohol — but, other than that, the world is your oyster. Or, maybe, oyster cracker.
[Severe morning sickness can leave women literally starving]
Here are some other hints from Erick:
• Bland is not necessarily best for everybody, even though the most common advice is to stick to bland foods such as applesauce and mashed potatoes. It’s not unusual for women with HG to seek out spicy or sour food, so follow your instincts.
Miriam Erick, a nutritionist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, encourages pregnant women to eat what their bodies tells them to eat (within reason) even if it seems a little weird. (Courtesy of Miriam Erick)
• Fluids can be more difficult to stomach when you’re nauseous, so don’t fret about liquids and focus on food first. If you think you can manage it, frozen watermelon cubes or grapes can be good alternatives to traditional fluids. If soda sounds good, don’t worry about the sugar too much if it means you’re getting necessary fluids into your body.
• Forget ginger — if you want to. Ginger tea is commonly recommended to HG patients to help curb nausea, but, anecdotally, many HG patients say it doesn’t help. Noting that constant vomiting will naturally cause a raw throat, Erick says ginger may irritate the throat, which could be why it doesn’t agree with some women.
• No matter what it is that you want to eat — whether it’s raw cauliflower, Key lime pie or jalapeño poppers — find that one item and eat it in small amounts throughout the day. Eventually you may be able to add a few more items that you can keep down, but it doesn’t really matter as long as you’re getting some nutrients and calories.
• Give salt a try — the mariner’s cure. While reading Julia Alvarez’s novel “Saving the World,” a passage referring to seawater as a cure for seasickness started Erick on a new line of thinking. Try adding salt to a glass of water or just eating salty crackers or chips; the salt might help quell the nausea, or, at least, make you thirsty for fluids.
• Outside stimuli can have a powerful effect, so you may need to retreat to a small, dark space such as a closet when trying to eat. Not only can noise and light stimulate nausea, but smells — from your kitchen or even your spouse — can also make food even less palatable. Sometimes choosing food that doesn’t have a strong odor, or sticking to cold items, can also help.
Study raises questions about efficacy of morning sickness pill endorsed by Kim Kardashian
Dreaded ‘stomach flu’ wreaks havoc on families — and it’s only going to get worse
Morning Sickness Remedies, How to find relief from nausea
Congrats, you just got the exciting news that you have a bun in the oven, a little blessing forming and getting ready to grace your family in 9 months time. But maybe you aren’t feeling so blessed. If your pregnancies are anything like mine, you may be seriously doubting your sanity for getting pregnant. The heartburn, the exhaustion, the NAUSEA! Oh my goodness, the nausea! What were we thinking right? Well fear not, I’m sharing my top Morning sickness remedies with you. And while they won’t Cure you, they will help you get away from that toilet, and back on your feet functioning as well as a pregnant woman in the 1st trimester can!
Morning Sickness Remedies
1. Crackers. You will want to have a mild cracker with you at all times. The constant nibbling on a cracker can help calm the nausea, just having something mild and calming on the stomach is one of the best ways to ease the nausea. Now most people swear by Saltines, but since that time that I was a kid with the stomach flu, I’ve never been able to stomach Saltines since. So I usually reach for Ritz crackers or Graham Crackers. Something mild enough in flavor, but still pleasant to your pallet.
2. Avoid your food aversions. You will find you are feeling food aversions to many foods. That’s OK. It’s OK to take time away from eating them. Just as long as you are still eating healthy foods, then take some time away from certain foods that make you more sick than usual. For me I can’t eat eggs. On my goodness, I can’t even smell them. So listen to that food aversion and don’t force yourself to eat those foods.
Likewise foods you should try to incorporate that are known to help with morning sickness include
- High protein diets
- Vitamin B6
- some carbonated drinks such as Sprint/7-Up and Ginger ale.
- mild juices
3. Avoid sugars. My first pregnancies the only thing I could keep down was high sugared sour candies. But ironically while those were the only foods that sounded appealing, they also caused the metallic taste in my mouth worse, thus causing the nausea to be worse. Try to stay away from non-natural sugars. This time I’m doing my best to stay away from sugared foods (it helps that I actually have a food aversion to chocolate of all things right now) and my nausea has been a lot more manageable this time around. Instead I try to eat a higher protein rich diet, and fresh fruits and veggies instead of reaching for sugared breads, candies, and lots of soda.
4. Stay hydrated. Believe it or not, if you are hydrated you will feel less nausea. When you get dehydrated you will have a harder time combating the morning sickness. Now if your pregnancies are like mine you may be laughing right about now. Everything tastes bad. And I do mean EV-ER-Y-THING! Are you like me? Where everything you drink makes you sick? Including just plain water? You are not alone. I feel your pain. And you are always thirsty. Oh my goodness, do I feel thirsty. But I can’t just guzzle a bottle of water, unless I want to see it coming back up in a matter of minutes. And yes, I’ve tried everything. But here are some tips to help you get in some extra hydration
- Ginger ale
- Gator-aid or propel water
- Lemon water
- Ice water – sometimes having it extra cold helps. and I can slowly sip on the water
- Bottled water (try different brands as you may be surprised you can handle one brand over another brand).
- Drip Drop
- If all else fails- try Otter pops. Now this is the time I’m going to go back on tip #3 to avoid sugars. It is more important that you get liquid than to avoid sugars. So if drinking causes issues, try Popsicles. And indulge in one every 15 minutes or so. make it better by making fruit juice infused Popsicles of your own. Or maybe get the frozen pops made from juice. Just make sure it is mostly liquid and not full of other stuff like a fruit bar. You are needing liquid once it melts.
- SIP don’t gulp. If drinking makes you sick, trying just sipping your drinks. One or two sips every 5 minutes. The equivalent of a swallow. It will be hard to resist gulping as you will be thirsty. But the most important thing is to get liquid into your body and KEEP it there. So go slow.
5. Sea bands – many people have success with using acupuncture to help keep the morning sickness under control. For me sea bands alone don’t work. But combining the use of sea bands with all these other steps has really helped me to get my morning sickness under better control.
6. Preppie Pops – there are these “candies” that are made with Vitamin B6 with sour flavors that have really helped with my morning sickness. They are called PreggiePops or if you aren’t into a “lollipop” version they have Preggie Pop drops that are more like little candies you suck on. Now it’s another time I slacked on the “no sugar” rule. Because they are made of more natural ingredients and because they are a good source of vitamin B6 which helps tremendously with nausea. Plus sometimes just sucking on a hard candy can help with the morning sickness. Plus the sour flavors help a lot with morning sickness as well. But don’t worry, they aren’t pucker your face sour. Just enough. If you want less sugar options you can even try Tummy Drops that are made from natural sugars and have ginger as the main ingredient to help combat the morning sickness. Use these in moderation for those days when the morning sickness is extra difficult.
7. Sleep! When you are facing morning sickness, it may be really difficult to sleep. But if you can manage to sleep a bit more, it will dramatically calm your morning sickness. If you can take an afternoon nap, or sleep in more in the morning and get to bed earlier at night, you will see a big difference. Now as a Mom to 3 other kids, this isn’t always possible. So I do try to just get to bed earlier, as much as possible. And I find I have to take some time in the afternoon to just relax a little more. While I can’t sleep I can rest. But if you are having an extra bad day, call someone to watch the extra kids, cancel some appointments and put yourself in bed. I had a bad day and canceled everything, the husband took the kids and I got myself a good 3 hour nap. I felt so much better that I could be up and be with the family the rest of the day and I was even able to make dinner. It makes a big difference.
After sleeping, you want to make sure you always get up slowly. No jumping out of bed. Sit up and snack on a cracker slowly before rising (yeah, this is the only time we break the rule of no food in the bedroom). And then wait a few minutes before getting up. Taking it slow after waking (especially in the mornings) will help ease the nausea.
8. Essential Oils True, as you are pregnant there are many essential oils you will want to stay away from because of the effects on the unborn baby. But there are also a few that are very beneficial to help combat the morning sickness, and that are safe to use while pregnant as long as you use them wisely. As a pregnant mom you will want to use only 1-2 drops diluted in a carrier oil. But if used right you can find some that really help your morning sickness subside. For me EZ Traveler is great to use with a drop behind each ear and a little on my wrists so I can smell it through the day. Another great option is putting Peppermint and lemon essential oils into a diffuser around the house.
Just be aware that once the baby comes, if you are planning on breastfeeding, you will need to stop using Peppermint oil. While it is great for nausea, it also dries up your milk supply.
Also in addition to the aromatherapy options, make sure you get plenty of fresh air. Non-polluted air. Sometimes just stepping outside for a breath of fresh air can help mellow a morning sickness episode.
9. Say no to fatty foods. Anything fried, or high in fat are harder to digest. And they will aggravate the morning sickness. Likewise, anything spicy or strong in odors or strong spices could easily assault your stomach and cause nausea.
10. When all else fails use a Prescription. Most people want to avoid prescriptions whenever possible. And trust me, I am one of them. But my morning sickness is often so severe that I have to make a tough decision. Take a nausea prescription and be able to function for my other kids, or go without and be useless for 3 months until this passes. Seeing as I have responsibilities to my other kids, I last as long as I can and then I usually have to give the doctor a call and ask for some help. Some people just have extreme Morning sickness like this. And sadly I’m one of them. So if you know someone who has to have a prescription to combat the morning sickness, don’t judge. For some adding in a prescription for nausea is the only way they can function and still meet their other responsibilities.
If at first the one prescription doesn’t work. Don’t give up. Call your doctor back and ask for adjustments. My doctor and I are currently working on a combination of 3 different nausea medications to get me on my feet each day (at 40% functional). Sometimes if the morning sickness is bad enough you may need more than one prescription to keep you functional. And that’s ok. Don’t just settle to be sick and helpless the entire time. You can find some relief.
Now you have 10 morning sickness remedies that will help you reduce the amount or severity of your morning sickness. And hopefully you will be able to still enjoy your family and dream of the joy this new little blessing will bring to your life.
Tell me, what are your top Morning sickness remedies that have helped you?
The best foods to relieve nausea
If people are feeling nauseated, just the thought of food may make them feel worse. However, it is important to fuel the body and settle the stomach.
People may feel nauseated for a variety of reasons, such as:
Getting plenty of rest and drinking fluids can help manage nausea, but so can eating certain foods. In this article, we look at which foods can help relieve nausea.
People have traditionally used ginger to treat nausea. Gingerols and shogaols are components in ginger that may stimulate the stomach to empty and help to relieve feelings of nausea.
A review of studies looked at the effects of ginger on nausea and vomiting in cases of pregnancy-induced symptoms. Four randomized controlled trials showed that ginger was more effective than a placebo in reducing the intensity of nausea and frequency of vomiting in pregnant females.
The authors of the review also found that ginger was more effective than a placebo in treating morning sickness, seasickness, and chemotherapy-induced nausea.
People can add ginger to broths or add sliced fresh ginger to hot water or herbal teas. Ginger ale is also a good option, as is eating crystallized ginger.
Chicken or vegetable broth can be a good source of nutrients that are easy to digest when a person is feeling nauseated.
If people are drinking less or losing fluids through sweating and vomiting, broths can help to replace lost fluids, salt, and electrolytes.
BRAT stands for:
People may find these foods easier to eat because they are bland and easy to digest.
Bananas are also a good source of energy and nutrients. They are high in potassium, which can help replace any electrolytes lost through vomiting.
The BRAT diet does not provide enough nutrients for people over the long term, however. It may help for a brief period of nausea, but people should start adding a wider variety of foods once they start feeling better.
It is also vital to stay hydrated while on the BRAT diet. People should make sure they take small sips of water frequently. Drinking large gulps of water may upset an already unsettled stomach.
Along with toast, other dry foods can be a good option for people feeling nauseated, as they are plain and easy to digest. They also have little to no odor, which may help reduce feelings of nausea.
Dry foods can include:
- saltine crackers
- rice cakes
People may find it easier to eat cold foods when feeling sick, as they often smell less than hot foods. The odor of hot food may increase feelings of nausea for some people.
Good options for cold foods include:
- a sandwich with protein, such as peanut butter or egg salad
- crackers with a small amount of cheese
Protein helps the body create enzymes that digest food. The body also uses protein to oxygenate blood to carry nutrients to every part of the body.
Some research suggests that eating more protein than carbohydrates may help relieve nausea and vomiting in pregnant women.
Good options for protein-rich foods include:
- peanut butter
- boiled eggs
- plain, unsweetened yogurt
- baked tofu (not fried)
People can combine these foods with bland foods, such as toast, rice, or noodles, to increase calories.
People may not want to eat much when they are feeling nauseated. However, consuming small amounts of certain foods may help relieve nausea and keep energy levels up.
It is also vital to stay hydrated by drinking clear beverages, such as water or soda, especially to replace lost fluids if vomiting.
Other tips that may help with nausea include:
- sitting upright after eating
- avoiding activity after eating
- watching TV, reading a book, or talking to someone while eating as a distraction
- eat slowly to help digestion
- eating small amounts throughout the day
- rinsing the mouth or brushing the teeth after eating to reduce feelings of nausea
If people continue to feel nauseated without any relief, have unexplained nausea, or feel unable to eat or drink at all, they should speak to a doctor.
What to Eat When Nauseous
Towfiqu PhotographyGetty Images
Gastrointestinal complaints are paramount among us runners. But it’s not just midrun stomachaches or bathroom breaks that can plague athletes. Just the thought of experiencing exercise-induced nausea can also make it hard to get out the door.
“Those who engage in intense marathons, triathlons, cycling, and high-intensity training are at higher risk for [exercise induced nausea],” says Robert Glatter, M.D., assistant professor of emergency medicine at Northwell Health and attending emergency physician at Lenox Hill Hospital. And those who have a history of GERD (or acid reflux) are at an even higher risk, thanks to excess pressure on your core, he says.
One reason—exercise-induced nausea can happen in athletes episodically after high-intensity or strenuous training, according to a 2013 study published in Gastroenterology Review. This nausea can turn in to vomiting, unless there’s some relief, like slow and deep abdominal breathing and application of a cool compress to the forehead or back of your neck.
Why does this happen? “Exercise-induced nausea results from reduced blood flow to the stomach during intense exercise, as blood flow is directed to more critical organs, such as the heart, lungs, and brain,” says Glatter.
There are a few other causes, some being more severe than others. For starters, it could be physiological, coming from a functional disorder, such as irritable bowel syndrome. It could also be tied to factors like types of exercise, climate conditions, duration and intensity, and hydration status. While you make not be able to make nausea disappear completely, luckily—in some cases—foods for nausea prevention can help.
Nausea may even occur if you start and stop running too abruptly. “Your stomach is not ready for the sudden level of deceleration in the intensity of the exercise. It’s best to gradually slow your pace as you finish your run or cross the finish line,” says Glatter.
It’s important to seek medical attention if you experience nausea if you have not yet discussed it with your doctor. But once you’ve been able to tie nausea to exercise, there are foods for nausea prevention that can help lessen symptoms and get your out the door.
[Smash your goals with a Runner’s World Training Plan, designed for any speed and any distance.]
The spicy root is known for quieting an upset stomach, and it may help relieve mid-workout nausea, too. And, gingerols—the chemical compounds found in ginger—aid the digestion process to help alleviate nausea, according to a study published in Phytochemistry.
“Eat a few ginger snap cookies prior to exercise to reap the benefits of both the ginger and the carbohydrate,” says Vanessa Voltolina LaBue, R.D. “Or carry a few chewy ginger candies during a run or workout.”
[Health Benefits of Ginger Water]
“Starchy foods, such as crackers and pretzels, can help absorb stomach acid and ease nausea,” says LaBue.
Eat a handful of simple crackers, like Saltines, about 30 minutes before your run.
Runners can be hit with nausea when their glycogen stores are too low. “Complex carbohydrates, like whole grains, act as time-release energy capsules, slowly releasing energy into your bloodstream and helping to keep your appetite satisfied,” says Julene Stassou, R.D., author of The Mediterranean Diet Weight Loss Solution.
Good sources are quinoa, barley, brown rice, and oats.
This refreshing beverage is an excellent source of electrolytes, which can help reduce feelings of nausea.“Coconut water is a great way to rehydrate the body during and after exercise,” says Stassou.
It is a good source of potassium, magnesium, sodium, calcium and phosphorus, which are electrolytes you can lose through your sweat.
[These Nutrients Can Help You Recover]
If you eat Greek or Icelandic yogurt, like Skyr, you’re getting gut-friendly probiotics to help keep nausea and stomach problems at bay.
Try a small helping of these yogurts before head out the door or when you feel nausea coming on. Regularly consuming yogurt or taking a probiotic can help reduce your risk of exercise-induced nausea, says Stassou.
[Probiotics Can Reduce GI Symptoms in Marathoners]
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
90,000 signs of toxicosis, treatment and prevention.
In this article we will consider issues related to toxicosis, as well as advice on how to deal with it: what signs and degree of toxicosis may be, methods of treatment and prevention.
Early toxicosis is a pathological condition that occurs during and in connection with pregnancy. The presence of toxicosis does not depend on the sex of the fetus.
There are many theories of early toxicosis. The main one is the theory that in this way the mother’s body responds to the appearance of a “foreign” body inside it, there is an immune-type reaction.Subsequently, the body gets used to the presence of the ovum, so toxicosis is most pronounced in the first trimester of pregnancy. In addition, during pregnancy, all organs and systems should work more intensively, hormonal regulation and metabolism change. The mother’s body may not immediately adapt to its new position, and the consequence of this is early toxicosis.
Some believe that the presence of toxicosis during pregnancy is mandatory. However, it is not. An ideal pregnancy goes without him.Toxicosis is a sign that the mother’s body does not have time to adapt to the needs of the growing fetus.
In women with chronic diseases, toxicosis is more common. Also, risk factors are increased emotionality, smoking, alcohol consumption.
Many problems arising with the health of the expectant mother and bearing the baby are easy to identify in advance and prevent their development.What does that require? Timely register and undergo examinations in accordance with the timing of pregnancy.
Learn more about the features of the 1st trimester
Early toxicosis usually occurs in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, but in some cases it can bother a woman up to 16, and sometimes even up to 20 weeks. Toxicosis is most often manifested by poor health, nausea and vomiting, some have profuse salivation (up to 1.5 liters of saliva per day can be released).
Due to vomiting and salivation, dehydration of the body may occur, which is manifested by dry skin and mucous membranes, an increase in body temperature, a decrease in blood pressure and an increase in heart rate.
There are 3 stages of vomiting of pregnant women:
1. Light degree. The general condition remains satisfactory, the frequency of vomiting is no more than 3-4 times a day, the loss of body weight does not exceed 2 kg.The moisture content of the skin and mucous membranes remains normal. Blood and urine tests remain normal. Treatment is carried out on an outpatient basis.
2. Moderate severity. Vomiting 5 to 10 times a day, weight loss exceeding 2 kg per week. There may be a slight increase in body temperature. Constipation is common. In the study of urine, a positive reaction to acetone is revealed. The treatment takes place in a day hospital or the woman is hospitalized.
3.Severe degree. Vomiting more than 10 times a day. Vomiting continues at night, which interferes with sleep. Significant weight loss is noted. Blood pressure decreases. The condition is severe, inhibited. In the analysis of urine – a positive reaction to acetone, maybe protein. In the blood test, the content of bilirubin and creatinine increases, the amount of protein decreases. In this case, hospitalization is required. With excessive vomiting (more than 20 times a day for several days in a row), in some cases, the question of abortion is raised.
Drooling may accompany vomiting, less often it occurs as an independent disease. Profuse salivation leads to dehydration, and it also negatively affects the psyche of a woman.
There are also rare forms of early toxicosis: osteomalacia (softening of the bones) of pregnant women, acute yellow atrophy of the liver (as a result, liver cells begin to die quickly, the liver decreases in size), tetany of pregnant women (muscle cramps of the upper and lower extremities).In these cases, termination of pregnancy is necessary. Once again I want to emphasize: they are extremely rare!
Let’s dwell on a more serious problem. Chlorotic peak – craving for eating completely inedible things: chalk, lime, earth, wallpaper and other things, can be a sign of serious disorders in the body. If you feel like sniffing the exhaust fumes, nail polish remover, or continuously cleaning your concrete floor at the same time, you need to see your doctor.
Doctor’s opinion on the problem
With a mild degree of toxicosis, medications are dispensed with. Nutrition correction is necessary. In addition, a pregnant woman needs to avoid the presence of strong odors: it is not recommended to use perfume (if you need a deodorant, then choose an odorless one), to be in the room where the renovation is underway, to avoid secondhand smoke (and even more so to smoke yourself). The stuffiness in the room also increases the nausea, so it needs to be ventilated periodically.
On an empty stomach, the nausea is stronger, so it should not be empty . You can keep unsweetened biscuits or crackers on the nightstand by the bed for a snack before breakfast without getting out of bed. You can even have a snack at night if you wake up, since according to some reports, toxicosis is exacerbated in the morning due to the fact that blood sugar levels decrease overnight. When you wake up, do not get up immediately, lie down for another 20 minutes, then rise smoothly, do not suddenly jump out of bed.
It is better to eat food in small portions, every 2-3 hours. Food should be boiled or steamed; fried foods should be avoided. You can eat baby food as it is better absorbed. It is better to choose cold food for breakfast because it smells less. Many are saved by crackers, only they need to be prepared by ourselves, because various flavors are added to factory-made crackers, which will only increase the nausea. After eating, do not make sudden movements or bend over.
It is important to listen to your body , because what you really want to eat at the moment will not harm you, even if it is some kind of “junk” food.
Well relieves nausea taste and smell of lemon . It is recommended that you suck on a slice of lemon when you experience nausea. It is good to shower using lemon-scented shower gels. ginger is also an effective remedy.It should be added to tea or simply chewed.
Mint products (eg mint tea) have a calming effect on the digestive system. You can chew peppermint gum. However, in later stages, mint can cause heartburn.
Nausea can be overcome by sucking on lollipops . Sucking on pieces of ice or frozen fruit juice (preferably citrus) helps a lot.
Drink enough to stay hydrated. Mineral water is useful for restoring the water-salt balance in the body. You can also drink lemon water or weak green tea. You need to drink often, but in small portions. This is very important, as dehydration has a negative effect on the fetus, as the supply of nutrients is drastically reduced.
Do not forget to take vitamins for pregnant women (Elevit, Centrum, Vitrum Prenatal, Materna, Complivit Mom). They not only provide you and your baby with the nutrients they need, but they can also ease nausea.Vitamins are better absorbed during the day or evening. For some pregnant women, brewer’s yeast helps reduce symptoms of toxicosis.
Get enough sleep , pregnant women are advised to sleep at least 9-10 hours at night. After work, you also need to lie down for 30-40 minutes.
Toxicosis can intensify due to excitation of the central nervous system, therefore it is very important for a pregnant woman to be calm, not to worry . In addition, there is a pattern that the more you think about toxicosis, the stronger the nausea.Motherwort tincture helps to calm your body.
medicinal plants help well – peppermint, valerian herb, calendula, yarrow. You can prepare a “cure” for toxicosis by taking 1 teaspoon of these plants and pouring 250 ml of boiling water. Drink 3-4 times a day.
If, despite the implementation of all the recommendations, nausea and vomiting continue, it is necessary to consult a doctor to prescribe medications or send to a day hospital, and in severe cases, hospitalized.
Cerucal is used to reduce nausea and vomiting. It is available in both injection ampoules and tablets. The dosage is determined depending on the severity of the condition.
Hepatoprotectors are used for early toxicosis. For example, chophytol (herbal preparation) 2 tablets 3 times a day or Essentiale 2 capsules 2-3 times a day with meals.
In the hospital, infusion therapy (droppers) is also carried out, primarily with glucose solutions, in order to remove harmful metabolic products from the body that cause nausea and to replenish the lack of fluid.
Physiotherapy gives a good effect: electrosleep, 6–8 sessions. Electrophoresis with vitamin B1 is also used.
The effectiveness of the therapy is judged by the improvement in well-being, weight gain, normalization of blood and urine tests.
Unfortunately, treatment does not always completely relieve a woman of symptoms of toxicosis, but it helps the body to adapt to pregnancy. For most women, toxicosis disappears after 12 weeks.
Pregnancy is a special state of a woman, during which amazing metamorphoses occur to her. Moreover, external changes or health problems of the expectant mother are quite understandable for most of those around. While her emotional state and behavior is beyond the comprehension of the “non-pregnant” mind.
Consider the most common “quirks”
A pregnant woman needs to be provided with emotional peace.It is necessary to treat with understanding the new eating habits of a woman, to understand that these are not just whims. You also need to help her avoid unpleasant, pungent odors.
Often an attack of nausea can be triggered by driving in transport, especially in public. Therefore, if you need to travel only 2-3 stops, then it is better to walk. Moreover, it is useful for pregnant women to walk a lot.
If possible, try to get out into the fresh air for a week or two, for example, to the country house.Especially in the warm season.
Treatment of the initial (mild) manifestations of toxicosis is of great importance, which makes it possible to prevent the development of more severe forms of the disease.
Some women are so tormented by toxicosis that they begin to doubt whether the birth of a baby is worth all this suffering. Drive away such thoughts from yourself! The most important thing is, despite temporary difficulties, to remember about the child who is in the tummy, and to try to make him feel that he is the most desirable.
90,000 We are fighting toxicosis – articles from the specialists of the clinic “Mother and Child”
get more rest
Very often in the first trimester, the expectant mother feels weak, sleepy, she wants to lie down to rest, and sometimes she just doesn’t even have the strength to move. This, of course, is not toxicosis, but if such sensations arise, then they need to be indulged so as not to inadvertently provoke another attack of nausea.Get plenty of rest and do not make any sudden movements, because even if it is simply unsuccessful to get up from the chair, you can provoke an attack of nausea.
Sleep with the windows open: the air in the bedroom should be fresh and cool. Go to bed on time, do not sit at midnight in front of the TV or at the computer, eliminate all annoying factors: an uncomfortable mattress, blanket, pillow, hard bedding – lack of sleep can cause morning sickness.
Eat fractionally, 5-6 times a day, or even more often, and always in small portions.Do not get out of bed immediately when you wake up. One of the most effective methods against toxicosis is breakfast in bed. In the evening, put croutons, yogurt or any product that you can tolerate next to your bed. Eat it before you get up, and then lie down for a while. Most likely, morning sickness will either not appear at all, or will be very mild.
Usually, in case of toxicosis, it is not recommended to eat fatty, smoked, salted, pickled, drink soda (the usual set of food hazards).But it is likely that some not very healthy product will now be well tolerated, and some healthy food, on the contrary, will cause nausea. “Pregnant whims” – a cake with herring or pineapples at night – these are requests from the body that it needs one or another component in food. For example, the urge to chew chalk is a sign of calcium deficiency. So eat what you like and what you want within reason, of course. And if you don’t want something, even if this product is extremely useful and necessary, do not eat it.If you feel sick from some dish, it means that the body signals you: I don’t need it now!
drink more often
Toxicosis may not be limited to nausea, someone also has vomiting. This means that fluid is lost. Therefore, drink more often between meals: a sip or two of mineral water or tea with lemon will help to cope with nausea and replenish lost fluid. But you need to drink in small sips. Also, you should not drink food and you should give up soups for a while – a large amount of drunk and eaten, on the contrary, only provokes nausea and vomiting.
breathe fresh air
Walking in the fresh air is useful for everyone, but especially with toxicosis. Firstly, when walking, the blood of the expectant mother and baby is saturated with oxygen, which is very important for health, and secondly, walks soothe the nervous system. Together, this helps to reduce the unpleasant symptoms of toxicosis. You need to walk at least two hours a day – but not just along the street, but in a place where the air is really fresh: in a forest, park, square, and best of all outside the city.Before you go outside, think over the route: go away from the polluted highways, street cafes, food stalls and other “fragrant” places.
Taste and olfactory preferences change in the first trimester. Now even your favorite perfume can cause an attack of nausea, headache and allergic reactions. Therefore, remove all fragrant cosmetics that irritate you: perfumes, deodorants, creams, and so on. Both husband and loved ones will have to stop using their favorite perfume. Explain to others that this is not a whim, but a temporary measure, very soon everything will return to its usual course.
And do not worry that now you will be left without the usual means for maintaining your beauty. Both the cosmetic store and the drugstore are full of different creams, tonics, shampoos without fragrances or with minimal scent.
work with yourself
Psychologists believe that the cause of toxicosis is not only hormonal changes, but also in the psychological state of a woman.The more a woman experiences, the more anxieties and fears she has, the more pronounced toxicosis can be. Ideally, it is better to limit yourself during pregnancy from any stress. Of course, it is not always possible to exclude nervous work or a crush on public transport, but watching less TV, not reading negative news and various pregnant “horror stories” on the Internet, not responding to minor or even major everyday troubles is within the power of everyone. Therefore, if toxicosis is worried, create your own comfortable world during pregnancy.If you can’t cope on your own – contact specialists (psychologists). Toxicosis is really well treated with psychotherapy. The main thing is that the expectant mother should want to get rid of her own anxiety.
No matter how unpleasant toxicosis is – it does not last forever. You need to endure before the beginning or (less often) the middle of the second trimester. And very soon all the unpleasant symptoms of toxicosis will remain in the past!
90,000 Early toxicosis of pregnant women – causes and treatment
Most women, having barely learned about the onset of pregnancy, expect poor health, bouts of nausea and even vomiting.Indeed, early toxicosis often becomes a constant companion of many expectant mothers in early pregnancy. Is there any way to relieve these unpleasant symptoms?
Toxicosis (and doctors call this condition gestosis) is a syndrome that is defined as a violation of a woman’s adaptation to pregnancy. By the time of occurrence, early gestosis is distinguished, which will be discussed in this article, and late gestosis, which appears in the last 2-3 months of pregnancy and is manifested by edema, increased blood pressure and the appearance of protein in the urine.
When does early toxicosis begin during pregnancy
Early toxicosis usually occurs in the first half of pregnancy. As a rule, after the end of the formation of the placenta, that is, at 12-13 weeks of pregnancy, the symptoms of toxicosis stop. During normal pregnancy, adaptive changes in the function of almost all organs and systems occur in a woman’s body, which are regulated by the nervous system with the participation of the endocrine glands. Toxicosis occurs due to the impossibility of the adaptive mechanisms of the body of the expectant mother to adequately meet the needs of the developing fetus.
Manifestation of early toxicosis
The most common manifestation of toxicosis is vomiting. Other forms of early toxicosis are very rare:
- dermatoses of pregnant women is a group of skin diseases that occur during pregnancy and disappear after it. When it occurs in the early stages of pregnancy, dermatosis is caused by immune disorders in the body of a pregnant woman, and also most often occurs in patients with diseases of the digestive and endocrine systems.The most common form of prenatal dermatoses is prenatal itching, which can be on a small area of the skin or spread throughout the body, including the feet and palms.
- tetany (chorea) of pregnant women . This condition occurs when the function of the parathyroid glands decreases, as a result of which the exchange of calcium in the body is disturbed. Clinically, the disease is manifested by muscle cramps, more often cramps are in the fingers, sometimes in the muscles of the face.
- drooling – increased salivation, which leads to a large loss of fluid (up to 1 liter per day). Drooling can be an independent manifestation of toxicosis or accompany vomiting of pregnant women. In the development of salivation, not only changes in the central nervous system are important, but also local disturbances in the salivary glands and their ducts under the influence of hormonal changes.
- bronchial asthma of pregnant women – an extremely rare form of preeclampsia.
- osteomalacia of pregnant women – softening of bones due to impaired metabolism of calcium and phosphorus, while the bones of the pelvis and spine are more often affected
- neuropathy and psychopathy of pregnancy .
Causes of toxicosis in the early stages
There are many theories trying to explain the causes and mechanisms of development of early toxicosis: the most recognized are the so-called neuro-reflex and immunological.
According to neuro-reflex concept , vomiting occurs due to a violation of the relationship between the cerebral cortex and subcortical structures. During pregnancy, the subcortical centers of the brain begin to work more intensively than usual, which are responsible for most of the protective reflexes, including breathing and cardiac activity.In the same areas of the subcortical structures, the emetic and salivary centers, the nuclei of the olfactory system of the brain are located. Excitation processes capture them too. Therefore, nausea and vomiting may be preceded by such phenomena as deepening of breathing, increased heart rate, an increase in the amount of saliva, pallor due to vasospasm, a change in smell.
A certain role in the development of gestosis is played by immunological disorders . The timing of the onset of vomiting usually coincides with the formation of blood circulation in the placenta, increased multiplication of white blood cells – lymphocytes, which are involved in immune reactions. The fetus is foreign to the mother’s body, and her immune system reacts to it in this way. After full maturation of the placenta, which accumulates all these immune cells, toxicosis usually goes away.
Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) plays a certain role in the development of vomiting in pregnant women. This hormone is produced by the placenta during pregnancy. Its high concentration can provoke vomiting.
Severity of toxicosis during pregnancy
The main symptom of early toxicosis in pregnant women is vomiting.Depending on the frequency of its occurrence, as well as the degree of metabolic disorders in the body of the expectant mother, doctors distinguish three degrees of severity of vomiting in pregnant women.
How to cope with toxicosis and relieve symptoms
Treatment of mild toxicosis is usually carried out at home. But, nevertheless, a pregnant woman should be under the supervision of doctors, take all the tests recommended by the doctor, and follow the appointment. This will allow the doctor to monitor the state of the body of the expectant mother and prevent possible complications in time.A woman needs to organize a normal sleep and rest regime, showing walks in the fresh air, a calm atmosphere in the family.
You need to eat in small portions, fractionally, every 2-3 hours. Food should be easily digestible, as high-calorie and fortified as possible. In connection with a decrease in appetite, they recommend a varied and pleasant food for the expectant mother, that is, the products are selected taking into account the wishes of the pregnant woman, with the exception of spicy dishes, smoked meats.It is important to remember that very hot or very cold food often induces vomiting, so the food should be warm. Shown is the intake of alkaline mineral waters in small volumes 5-6 times a day.
If nausea and vomiting occur in the morning, immediately after waking up, it is recommended to have breakfast while lying in bed without getting up. For breakfast, you can eat dry crackers, crackers, drink tea or water with lemon, light yogurt is allowed. It is better to put all this next to the bed in advance or ask someone to bring breakfast.
Every woman chooses for herself a remedy that helps fight nausea. Someone is helped by a slice of orange, lemon or apple, some expectant mothers carry croutons or mint candies to relieve symptoms of toxicosis. Pumpkin juice has a good antiemetic effect. Ginger tea helps a lot of pregnant women. It is very simple to prepare:
finely chopped or coarsely grated ginger root is poured with boiling water and infused for 15-20 minutes.Tea can be drunk warm or chilled with lemon, mint or honey.
Fats and proteins of animal origin are recommended to be consumed in the morning, when pancreatic enzymes are more active. Dairy products are best eaten after lunch or before bed.
It is not recommended to use food with preservatives, meat of broiler chickens, instant food, fast food.
To maintain metabolic processes in the body, it is advisable to drink 2-2.5 liters of fluid per day.With an increase in vomiting, it is not recommended to eat solid and liquid foods at the same time. Liquids should not be drunk 30 minutes before and within 1.5 hours after meals, as this provokes vomiting by stretching the walls of the stomach and affecting receptors.
Broths and infusions
Oat broth is recommended as an enveloping agent, that is, a substance that forms a mucous film and prevents irritation of receptors on the walls of the stomach and intestines.It is prepared as follows: 2-3 tbsp. spoons of oat grains are washed, pour 500-700 ml of water, simmer under a lid for 30 minutes. The broth is drained, the grains are crushed and poured with new water and boiled until fully cooked. The resulting mass is crushed with a blender. You need to consume the broth on an empty stomach and in the evening before bedtime, but not earlier than 2 hours after dinner, as well as in small portions throughout the day.
It has a particularly good effect in combination with rosehip infusion.
This infusion is a good source of vitamins and minerals – it contains vitamins C, K, P and PP, potassium, manganese, iron, helps to normalize the function of the gallbladder. To cook it, you need 1 tbsp. pour 250 ml of boiling water over a spoonful of chopped rose hips and leave in a thermos for about 2 hours.
The following infusions and decoctions contribute to reducing nausea and improving the condition of the expectant mother.
Take equally: valerian root, common anise fruits, fireweed leaves, linden flowers, calendula flowers, blueberry shoots, blood-red hawthorn fruits.1 tbsp. pour a spoonful of the mixture crushed in a coffee grinder with 500 ml of boiling water and insist in a thermos for 2 hours, then strain. Take the infusion as needed, up to 6 times a day in a heated form, 1/3 cup.
To prepare this collection, you will need: yarrow (10 g), peppermint herb (20 g), shepherd’s purse herb (20 g), rhizomes of valerian officinalis (10 g), inflorescences of medicinal calendula (20 g) and inflorescences of chamomile (20 d).Pour 10 g of the mixture with 400 ml of water, stand in a water bath for 30 minutes, strain. Take 50 ml 6 times a day for 25 days, three courses with 15-day breaks.
Viburnum with honey
Grind 2 tbsp. tablespoons of fresh viburnum berries, pour 250 ml of boiling water over them, heat for 10 minutes in a water bath, strain, add a little honey. Take 1/3 cup of warm infusion before meals 3-4 times a day.
Cranberries with mint, honey and lemon
Squeeze the juice from 250 g of cranberries, cool it, boil the cake in 1 liter of water, add 1 tbsp.spoon of mint leaves and leave for 15 minutes under the lid. Strain, dissolve in a hot broth 2-3 tbsp. tablespoons of honey, let cool to room temperature, add chilled cranberry juice and a slice of lemon. Consume 0.5 cups after meals or if nausea occurs.
Rosehip with apples
Crushed rose hips (about 1 tbsp. Spoon) pour 250 ml of boiling water, add 0.5 tbsp. tablespoons of dried apples, heat in a water bath for 15-20 minutes.This drink can be consumed in place of tea throughout the day.
Rosehip with garden berries
To prepare a drink you will need: 1 tbsp. spoon of rose hips, 1 tbsp. spoonful of raspberries, 1 tbsp. spoon of black currant leaves, 1 tbsp. spoon of lingonberry leaves. 2 tbsp. spoon the mixture pour 500 ml of boiling water, boil for 5 minutes, leave for 1 hour, drain. Take 100 ml of broth 3 times a day.
Among non-drug means, physiotherapy exercises have a good effect.The set of exercises includes walking, deep breathing with stretching of the muscles of the trunk and limbs. It is necessary to exclude inclinations, they can increase nausea. The complex includes dynamic exercises for training the muscles of the arms, legs, relaxation exercises. Remedial gymnastics also includes training in breathing techniques. As a result, the body is saturated with oxygen, the excitability of the vomiting center decreases – toxicosis is alleviated.
Among physiotherapeutic procedures for the treatment of early toxicosis, electrosleep, acupuncture, laser therapy are used.Electric sleep is a technique that uses low frequency currents to induce sleep. The duration of the procedure is from 60 to 90 minutes, the course of treatment is 6-8 sessions.
In the complex therapy of early toxicosis, blood is irradiated with a helium-neon laser through a light guide passed through a needle placed in the ulnar vein. The procedure takes 15-20 minutes. The therapeutic effect is achieved due to the influence of the laser on blood cells, changes in its properties, the accumulation of biologically active substances in the blood.As a result, the metabolism in cells changes, the resistance of tissues and the body to unfavorable conditions increases, and vitality increases.
These are methods of treatment based on irritation of biologically active points and zones on the body and face. With early toxicosis, such an effect changes the tone of the nervous system of a pregnant woman. An acupuncture session is performed 1-2 times a week and lasts 15-30 minutes.
For morning sickness and vomiting of pregnant women, the method of acupressure is effective.To do this, press your finger on a point located on the inner side of the wrist, in the middle, 3 transverse fingers above the palm.
The use of plant aromas – has a positive effect on the expectant mother and baby. Inhaling pleasant aromas, you can achieve a good psychological effect, create a good mood, and reduce the symptoms of toxicosis. During pregnancy, aroma lamps, aroma medallions, pads – sachets are mainly used.To relieve nausea and vomiting, oils of laurel, lemon, lavender, real cardamom, dill, lemon balm, peppermint, anise, eucalyptus, ginger are suitable. To flavor the air, you can use the following mixture 0 3 drops of lavender oil, 1 drop of peppermint oil, 1 drop of eucalyptus oil.
Principles of early toxicosis treatment
Even with a mild course of early toxicosis of pregnant women, the attending physician will necessarily prescribe a number of tests – a general blood test, a general urine test, a biochemical blood test, a hemostasiogram.This is necessary to monitor the condition of a pregnant woman and for the timely prescription of medications to correct the changes occurring in the body.
If non-drug drugs are ineffective, the doctor prescribes drugs that help fight toxicosis. First of all, these are herbal sedatives, homeopathic medicines for nausea, vitamin B6 preparations, antiemetic medicines.
If, despite all the therapy, vomiting increases, the doctor detects changes in blood and urine tests, and body weight continues to progressively decrease, hospitalization is indicated.
In a hospital, intravenous infusion of drugs is carried out that restore fluid, microelements and proteins lost by the body. The pregnant woman receives at least 2-2.5 liters of fluid intravenously per day.
To improve blood flow through the placenta and improve oxygen supply to the fetus, oxygen therapy can be prescribed – inhalation of an oxygen-air mixture for 20-30 minutes twice a day.
Most often, the symptoms of toxicosis gradually decrease by 12-13 weeks of pregnancy.
- At mild vomiting on an empty stomach or after a meal is observed 3 to 5 times a day. Despite vomiting, part of the food is still retained and significant weight loss in such pregnant women is not observed. The general condition does not significantly suffer, there are no changes in the blood and urine tests. Such vomiting is easily treatable with various non-drug means, and often goes away on its own after the normalization of the diet and rest.
- Moderate vomiting (or vomiting of moderate severity ) is expressed in an increase in vomiting up to 10 times a day, regardless of food intake.Persistent nausea is characteristic. The body becomes dehydrated, the body weight decreases by 3 – 5 kg (6% of the initial weight). The general condition of pregnant women worsens. Expectant mothers complain of weakness, apathy, tearfulness, sometimes depression. The skin is pale, dry, the tongue is coated with a white coating, and yellowness of the skin may be noted.
- Severe (excessive vomiting of pregnant women) is rare. The frequency of vomiting is up to 20 times a day or more. Excessive vomiting is characterized by severe dehydration and intoxication.This condition can occur as a continuation of vomiting in pregnant women of moderate severity or initially become severe. With excessive vomiting, the body weight quickly decreases, on average by 2-3 kg per week, the skin becomes dry and flabby, the subcutaneous fat quickly disappears, the tongue and lips are dry, the smell of acetone is noted from the mouth, the body temperature can rise to 38 degrees.
Moderate to severe vomiting is treated in a hospital.
Nutrition with toxicosis so that you don’t feel sick
Did you see two strips on the test, but your condition does not allow you to fully enjoy happiness? Does the morning start not with coffee, but nausea and a quick run to the bathroom? Bad from the smell of your favorite foods? The good news is that you are definitely pregnant and can begin to learn how to prepare for childbirth.The bad thing is toxicosis.
Toxicosis the immune system reacts to the fetus. Also, the body is rebuilt at the hormonal level, which affects women’s well-being. Obstetricians distinguish 2 types of toxicosis – early and late. With a late one, you urgently need to contact your doctor, and we will talk about an early one. Every second pregnant woman faces him. Fortunately, proper nutrition in case of toxicosis helps to survive the first trimester relatively calmly.
We will tell you what you can eat with toxicosis in order to alleviate the condition.
Nutrition for toxicosis – basic principles
You need to know not only what you can eat with toxicosis, but also how to eat. A properly selected power supply system is your main assistant. And it’s entirely possible that simply changing a few eating habits will relieve you of unpleasant nausea.
- Don’t starve! A lot of nutrients are needed for the development of crumbs. Having not received from food, the child will take them from the reserves of your body, which will negatively affect health.
- Eat foods rich in vitamins and minerals . In search of information on what to eat with toxicosis, remember that food should be varied and as useful as possible.
- The main thing is food before breakfast . Most often nausea in the morning on an empty stomach, especially with a sharp rise. Allow yourself to lie in bed as soon as you wake up. Place a glass of lemon water, a bowl of cookies or dried fruit near the bed. Eat a few pieces without getting up: now the stomach is no longer empty – and the feeling of morning sickness should recede.
- Eat less, but more often . Switch to a fractional feed system every 2-3 hours. So you will not overload the stomach – and it will be easier for him to digest food, which means he will not want to “return” it.
- Forget the first-second-third and compote formula . Eating with toxicosis involves the separation of solid and liquid foods, and drinking should become a separate item. It is difficult for the gastrointestinal system to cope with food of different densities at the same time. Divide your lunch into several meals – soup at the same time, and a side dish with meat after a couple of hours.Drink tea or water separately – one hour before or after meals.
- Food should be warm, not hot . So they are better digested and do not irritate the walls of the stomach.
- If you feel sick from the smell, try cold or chilled food . This way there will be less aromas from them.
- Temporarily stop eating raw fruits and vegetables . The digestive tract is easier to handle with cooked food – boiled, baked, or steamed. There are a few fruit exceptions – read about them below.
- Nausea often worsens milk . While it is an important source of calcium, other ways to get it can be sought.
- Listen to your feelings . Soon you will understand which foods aggravate and which improve your well-being.
What should pregnant women eat with toxicosis?
Changing your eating habits is the first step towards a life free of nausea and vomiting. The second is the use of special foods that are eaten with toxicosis. Eat them regularly – and you may not survive, but live in the first trimester.
Basis of the diet
These foods are rich in vitamins, micro and macro elements. They are easily absorbed and do not cause a feeling of heaviness.
- Vegetables, especially green vegetables. They are rich in folic acid necessary for the normal development of the fetus. Best in the form of vegetable soups or mashed potatoes
- Lean meat (chicken, rabbit, turkey)
- Low-fat cheese
- Boiled eggs
- Dry biscuits
- Chamomile tea
- Tea with fennel or dill
- Water.Drink a little, but often. After all, dehydration is one of the most dangerous consequences of vomiting
Some expectant mothers are saved by a “dry” diet. This option can be effective, but you still need to drink water in between so that there is no dehydration.
Draws on salty
Thinking about what you can eat with toxicosis, you immediately remember the different salinity.
Can I eat them?
Yes, even necessary. This is the easiest way to restore the loss of sodium and chlorine in the body.Therefore, boldly eat:
- Herring (1-2 pieces)
- Pickles and tomatoes
- Sauerkraut. It is especially useful as it is a source of enzymes necessary for digestion
Eat and drink these foods when you feel a nausea attack or as a snack – your well-being will improve significantly during the day.
- Mint tea
- Ginger tea
- Rosehip decoction
- Alkaline mineral water
- Green apple
- Avoid fatty, overly sweet, seasoned, fried and spicy foods.
- Drink non-carbonated drinks without added sugar, such as plain water or tea.
- Before getting up, drink a cup of lightly sweetened tea or a glass of orange juice and eat a crouton. Lie down for about 20 more minutes before getting up.
- Eat small, frequent meals throughout the day. It is desirable that these are carbohydrate-rich dishes.For nausea, it is also recommended to eat fruits and vegetables, whole grain breads, foods high in protein and minimal amounts of fat.
- Try to avoid odors that make you feel uncomfortable during toxicosis. Most often, these can be the smells of coffee, meat or perfume.
- Stop taking vitamins before 15-16 weeks of pregnancy. At the very beginning, expectant mothers need a sufficient amount of folic acid. Supplemental vitamins in tablets can irritate the stomach lining.because he has to dissolve these tablets or capsules, thereby increasing the discomfort and nausea.
- The simplest home remedies can also be very helpful: for example, a glass of clean water with a lemon wedge, or the aroma of fresh green apples.
- systematic attacks of nausea and vomiting, which are often the result of a negative reaction of the body to certain types of smells and food;
- weight loss associated with lack of appetite or persistent vomiting;
- excessive salivation;
- regular mood swings;
- headaches and dizziness;
- weakness, apathy, decreased performance, fatigue;
- decreased or lack of appetite, change in a number of taste preferences;
- Increased irritability, tearfulness;
- Dermatological problems: the appearance of age spots, excessive sensitivity and dryness of the skin.
- the expectant mother has chronic diseases that were not cured before pregnancy;
- genetic or hereditary predisposition;
- the presence of bad habits;
- leading an unhealthy lifestyle;
- the onset of pregnancy at an early age or, on the contrary, at a later age;
- tendency to overeat;
- the use of harmful and heavy food, for example, semi-finished products;
- multiple pregnancies;
- living in areas with poor ecology;
- a number of psychological aspects, for example, fear of pregnancy and childbirth, negative attitude towards the onset of pregnancy.
902 9039 Currants
By adhering to these tips, you will relatively more easily endure this unpleasant period. We hasten to calm down, from the 8th week of pregnancy the attacks of nausea and vomiting will begin to decrease, and by 12-13 weeks they will disappear completely. The wonderful waiting period for the baby will still have time to give a lot of amazing and joyful moments.
Nutrition for toxicosis. Food that helps
Toxicosis toxicosis strife. Despite the fact that having arisen both in the first and in the second half of pregnancy, it can have similar symptoms, these are two fundamentally different conditions.Accordingly, in order to cope with the unpleasant manifestations of various toxicosis by adjusting the daily menu, you need to know their features.
So, a few words about the specifics of toxicosis in the first half of pregnancy. Probably, to one degree or another, all women face it. I am one of the happy half of the mothers who have visited this state in a mild form. And yet, I still remember how a lump rolled to my throat every time, leaving the house on the street, I found myself next to a cafe, from the doors of which unbearable smells were spreading.I don’t know what exactly the cooks were preparing there, but I had an irresistible desire to cross the street as soon as possible. However, this was the only “surprise” of early toxicosis. Much later, after reading a bunch of clever books, I realized that without knowing it, I coped with early toxicosis due to the fact that in my refrigerator and on my table the necessary products were accidentally found, i.e. I had proper nutrition for toxicosis. But first things first.
As you know, doctors have not yet come to a consensus as to what causes early toxicosis.At the same time, they are all unanimous that this is not a disease at all, but just a specific state of the body of a pregnant woman. Personally, I am close to the theory that “sending toxicosis to our heads”, nature gives unobtrusive advice regarding nutrition in case of toxicosis, which foods to include in the menu, and which ones to exclude.
But what happens: during vomiting, a woman loses not only harmful, but also
useful: one might say, all the food she has taken. Unsurprisingly, this can lead to metabolic disorders over time.The balance of vitamins and minerals is disturbed, the activity of the endocrine glands deteriorates. In some cases, women react so sharply to attacks of early toxicosis that they cannot even take a crumbs into their mouths. They practically give up food, losing kilogram for kilogram (instead of gaining weight). This, of course, should not be allowed. Indeed, it is in the first months of pregnancy that the internal organs and systems of the baby are actively formed, and he needs good nutrition.And what kind of good nutrition with toxicosis can we talk about if the expectant mother cannot even look at food?
Nutrition for toxicosis. What is the best way to organize the diet in order to minimize the manifestations of early toxicosis?
It is a mistake to think that the best way to cope with this condition is to sharply limit the food intake (that is, to act on the principle: the less we eat, the less sick we feel). Firstly, as we said, it is especially important for a child in the first months of pregnancy to receive a variety of vitamins and minerals.And secondly, even a short, restrictive diet of a future mother, based on the use of mainly one product, can cause the development of allergies in a baby. Moreover, if the mother herself suffers from allergies, this path is categorically contraindicated. Therefore, our task is to achieve a balanced diet with toxicosis, even in this difficult situation.
The first step is to remember those foods that increase nausea – and, on the contrary, weaken it. The strongest “enhancers” of toxicosis, oddly enough, are dairy products.Of course, they are useful for pregnant women. And yet, if you forcibly stuff yourself with fermented baked milk and cheese cakes (since the crumbs need calcium), there will be no sense from this – you will only provoke vomiting. And neither calcium nor anything else
will enter the body. Therefore, with toxicosis, it is better to scoop this trace element from other foods and vitamin complexes. Why not replenish your body’s calcium stores with green beans or broccoli? By the way, they were constantly present in my diet. Note that these plant-based sources of calcium have the added benefit of being rich in vitamins and do not increase blood cholesterol.
But sour juices, still mineral water, weak green tea, vegetable soups will help to relieve discomfort. Crackers help someone. Those. You dry ordinary bread in the oven or make toast in pans without oil.
But I hasten to warn you! The liquid should be drunk in moderation – its excess can also cause vomiting.
An important nuance for nutrition in case of toxicosis: dense and liquid food is not recommended at the same time. Therefore, we temporarily forget the first-second-
third scheme (I refused it during pregnancy, apparently, intuitively).Eat small meals every 2-3 hours so as not to overload the stomach or irritate its receptors too much. Ate soup – lie down on the sofa, relax. Or take a walk in the fresh air. Eat the cutlet with potatoes later (and without any compote!). By the way, some women in the period of toxicosis are generally saved by a “dry” diet: bread, porridge, baked potatoes. You should not drink half an hour before meals and within an hour and a half after. Better to drink a cup of herbal tea made from mint, lemon balm or calendula in between meals.
A few words about how best to prepare food. If early toxicosis is severe enough, it is better to take mashed, well-cooked food and give up fresh vegetables and fruits for a while (juices and purees will replace them for a couple of weeks). Dishes are best eaten moderately warmed up – not too hot or too cold.
Meat dishes are best prepared from dietary varieties: veal or rabbit. Avoid fried in favor of boiled, baked, and steamed. Personally, during pregnancy, I couldn’t even look at the previously adored pork kebabs. But she could not live without boiled veal.
Nutrition for toxicosis. The first meal is very important. If nausea bothers you right after waking up, you can have breakfast right in bed (I did just that). My doctor advised to put a vase of crackers or biscuits next to the bed, chewing on an empty stomach, you can easily “bring down” an attack of nausea. And some of my friends chewed dried fruits in the morning, which, you see, is doubly useful.
What foods should you eat if, in spite of everything, the attacks of nausea and vomiting continue? In order to make up for the excessive loss of such minerals as sodium and chlorine, it is recommended … that’s right, sodium chloride is table salt. Therefore, you can safely indulge yourself in the first half of pregnancy with pickles and herring.
My favorite food for toxicosis during the first trimester was bread with avocado pate and smoked mackerel (just grind mackerel with avocado – and the pate is ready), herring and rice caviar (just mix boiled rice to taste, chopped herring without bones and a little tomato paste) and vegetable puree soups (boiled vegetables in the house in salted water and chopped them with a blender).
As for late toxicosis (or gestosis), the menu here should be fundamentally different. In particular, in contrast to early toxicosis, late toxicosis is “not on friendly terms” with salt. Therefore, it is better to forget about herring and cucumbers in late pregnancy. And in general, if possible, salt dishes should be less, so as not to provoke fluid retention in the body.
Late toxicosis are different, depending on the symptoms that have had time to manifest themselves. For example, mild toxicosis is called dropsy.It is distinguished by severe edema, which usually appears on the arms and legs, as well as on the anterior abdominal wall. The face seems to “blur”, becomes puffy. As a rule, nausea and vomiting at this stage does not occur yet. In general, in general, you may feel great (except for a little weakness and thirst). And yet you cannot hesitate: urgently change your diet. Otherwise, a harmless dropsy will turn into a very unpleasant nephropathy, in which high blood pressure is added to the edema, and protein appears in the urine.The more severe forms of preeclampsia include preeclampsia and eclamsia – these conditions require compulsory hospitalization.
Regardless of the severity of late toxicosis and the stage of its development, proper nutrition in toxicosis plays a very important role.
The best prevention of late toxicosis is moderation in food. After all, frequent reasons for the development of gestosis are overweight and a love of harmful products: smoked meats, marinades, pickles. Therefore, from the very beginning of pregnancy, without waiting for late toxicosis “knocking on the door”, it is very important to eat in moderation, and not “for two.”And make sure that food is healthy and wholesome. You can read the article on the website “Sunny Hands” about healthy eating “Healthy eating is our path to beauty, health and longevity” .
But if it still comes to the development of nephropathy, it is urgent to include in the diet foods rich in magnesium salts. This is very easy to do. Let the basis of your menu be dishes containing liver, low-fat varieties of cheese, cereals (except semolina!), Nuts, vegetables, fruits, dried fruits.
Protein plays a special role in late toxicosis. It is the lack of protein in the diet that can lead to a decrease in its content in the blood, weakening of important body functions and the development of preeclampsia. Therefore, it is necessary to include in your diet low-fat boiled meat, boiled fresh fish, cottage cheese – that is, products containing high-grade proteins. But don’t overdo it! The daily intake of proteins in late toxicosis is determined at the rate of 1.5 – 2 g per 1 kg of body weight.
One more nuance in nutrition with toxicosis.With gestosis, the acid-base balance usually changes to the acidic side. Therefore, it is very good if the expectant mother enriches her diet with berries (except for lingonberries!), Vegetables (primarily pumpkin) – that is, food with potential alkalinity. For example, I love pumpkin porridge with a little milk and honey. She was one of the “saving” meals for me during pregnancy.
In general, honey with late toxicosis can be of significant help. It contains various enzymes, vitamins, salts, trace elements.Therefore (if there is no allergy!), You can afford 1-2 teaspoons of this healthy delicacy daily, but not more, because honey can tone the uterus !
I am confident that by following these simple guidelines during pregnancy, you can easily improve your well-being. And, of course, remember that expectant mothers need not only proper nutrition, but also good rest, moderate physical activity, fresh air and, of course, a good mood! The wonderful books by Anastasia Guy “Do not fly with elephants” or “A ray of light or Journey into a fairy tale” will also help you to improve your mood.
I also recommend reading the articles already about what awaits you after the birth of the child. Or, at the very least, bookmark them. There are many good parenting articles in section Child Psychology. And a series of articles by Anastasia Guy about the problems that may await after the birth of a child. “Quarrels after the birth of a child in the family. Part 1″.
Article protected by copyright and related rights.
When using and reprinting the material, an active link
to the women’s site sun-hands.ru is required!
Best regards, Natalia Maksimova.
90,000 Toxicosis during pregnancy: there is a way out!
British Duchess Keith is preparing to become a mother for the third time. Like many expectant mothers, she suffers from bouts of toxicosis during pregnancy. Doctors from the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University Hospital Freiburg share tips on how to cope with this unpleasant condition.
The seductive aroma of freshly brewed coffee wafts through the house.What usually seems very appetizing is often disgusting for many pregnant women. This fact is explained by the fact that during pregnancy, a woman’s gustatory and olfactory sensations are especially aggravated, causing a weakness in the stomach in the morning, afternoon or evening. Professor, twice MD Gerald Gitch , Chief Physician of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University Hospital of Freiburg, claims that almost three quarters of expectant mothers suffer from toxicosis in the first trimester of pregnancy.
“Unpleasant circumstances” for them begin with a feeling of fatigue and weakness. The reasons why some are uncomfortable, while other pregnant women simply “bloom” are still not fully understood. “Most likely, there is a combination of various kinds of influences on the woman’s body,” the professor suggests. Apparently, estrogen and the pregnancy hormone HCG (choriogonadotropin), which are produced in the placenta, are responsible for the onset of toxicosis.In addition, dysfunction of the thyroid gland, feelings such as anxiety, fear, and problems or stress contribute to increased symptoms. Professor Gitch advises talking less and reminding the expectant mother of nausea – this can also help her in overcoming toxicosis. He also has good news: “Normal nausea during pregnancy is accompanied by discomfort for the mother, but does not pose a danger to the fetus.” Typically, toxicosis occurs between the 5th and 14th weeks, when all organs of the child, his arms, legs, ears and nose are formed.After this period, the fetus begins to grow and develop rapidly – and, as a rule, nausea and vomiting disappear as suddenly as they appeared.
However, the severe form of toxicosis, Hyperemesis gravidarum , which, for example, suffers from Duchess Keith (as well as her first two children), can be dangerous. “If vomiting occurs more than 5 times a day and is accompanied by persistent nausea, while a woman regularly loses weight due to lack of food in the body, it is probably worth talking about Hyperemesis gravidarum ,” says Professor Gitch.This form of toxicosis affects about two percent of women – mostly young, slender, nonsmokers, expecting twins. Women who have smoked before pregnancy, are overweight or over 35 years old are less likely to suffer from this syndrome. “Every expectant mother experiencing discomfort from toxicosis should definitely contact her doctor – and, moreover, this should be done immediately if she is not able not only to eat, but often even to see any food,” advises Professor Gitch.
Symptoms and treatment of toxicosis – Medical Center LLC Medical Center MEGA in Ivanovo
It is generally accepted that the period of pregnancy is a kind of magical stage in a woman’s life, which can only be darkened by exceptional circumstances.This is quite understandable, because at this time the expectant mother does not feel the harsh need to follow diets and count calories.
However, such a rosy picture can be significantly spoiled by a widespread phenomenon that occurs in every second woman, and bearing the name “toxicosis of pregnant women.”
Pathology is accompanied by systematic attacks of nausea and vomiting, lack of appetite, deterioration in general health, and in the most severe cases can lead to a number of serious problems.
Toxicosis is one of the most common pathologies diagnosed in women in a state of pregnancy
What are the causes and symptoms of toxicosis, what is the nature of this phenomenon, its main types and forms, are there effective methods of dealing with pathology – we will consider these issues in more detail.
General description of toxicosis
Nausea is the main and most common symptom of toxicosis.
According to scientific research, toxicosis is the body’s response to the onset of pregnancy, the colossal hormonal and endocrine changes that occur during this period in the woman’s body.In addition, the genetic set of the fetus is only partially similar to that of the mother, and therefore the female body perceives the embryo as a foreign body, which provokes the production of protective substances.
In addition to the above reason, other aspects can also be attributed to the number of factors provoking the onset of toxicosis. These include, for example, a woman’s presence of chronic diseases, bad habits, a tendency to overeat, and overweight. In addition, psychoemotional aspects can also act as negative factors.
As for the timing of the onset of toxicosis, in the overwhelming majority of clinical cases, pathology worries women in the period from the second to the fourteenth week of pregnancy. However, other options are not excluded, for example, the appearance of characteristic signs, aggravated by the development of some complications, is possible during the second and third trimesters.
It should be noted that the occurrence of toxicosis does not carry the risk of developing a threat to the health of the expectant mother and embryo. As an exception, cases are called when pathology is accompanied by dehydration of the body, exhaustion, and swelling.In such situations, it is often necessary to conduct adequate therapy.
Advice! Only the attending physician can determine the cause of toxicosis, and also prescribe treatment, if necessary. With severe toxicosis, it is not recommended to self-medicate, as this is fraught with negative consequences.
According to statistics, symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, weakness, and lack of appetite are called classic manifestations of toxicosis.
However, the clinical picture can vary significantly depending on the causes of the onset, the state of health and physiological characteristics of the organism of the expectant mother.
In addition, the timing of the onset of pathology is of no small importance.
The first signs of toxicosis
Drowsiness is one of the signs of toxicosis.
According to experts, the most common early symptoms of toxicosis occur in the first three to four months after conception.In this case, the appearance of pathology is associated precisely with the onset of pregnancy and the changes accompanying this condition that occur in the woman’s body. Despite the fact that the characteristic signs are nausea and vomiting, in general, the spectrum of symptoms is wider and depends on the cause of toxicosis.
The most common and frequently diagnosed signs are called:
Also among the characteristic manifestations of toxicosis can be attributed to the negative psychoemotional state of a woman, expressed in a tendency to depressive states, apathy, hypersensitivity. In more detail, the instructions and the video provided in this article will help you to get acquainted with the typical picture of pathology.
Do you know the feeling of apathy
If the characteristic signs of toxicosis are excessively intense, for example, vomiting attacks occur at least seven to eight times a day, there is a possibility of a threat to the health of the mother and fetus.In such a situation, immediate intervention of a specialist is required, the cost of lack of adequate treatment can be very high, up to the onset of premature birth.
Toxicosis in late terms
In the most severe cases, toxicosis can occur in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy (see
Late toxicosis during pregnancy: risk group, how it manifests itself, can it be avoided, how to treat it and what consequences may be for the child).
As a rule, in such cases, the pathology is a consequence of the presence of any diseases, disorders of the activity of internal organs, addiction to bad habits and overeating.
Late toxicosis, called gestosis, is associated with the appearance of edema, dermatological problems, deterioration of the functioning of organs and systems. Lack of treatment for these conditions can cause serious complications.
Forms and types of toxicosis
In severe forms of toxicosis, a pregnant woman may require medical attention.
There are several main types of pathology, each of which is characterized by certain causes of toxicosis, characteristic symptoms and timing of appearance (see.What week does toxicosis during pregnancy begin and why).
A number of the following should be named as the main ones:
|Form of toxicosis||Set of symptoms||Dates of occurrence|
|Light form||Nausea, bouts of vomiting, repeated one to five times during the day, weakness, feeling unwell, increased salivation, lethargy, drowsiness, lack of appetite.||Occurs in the early stages of pregnancy, and is observed mainly in women with chronic diseases.|
|Medium form||Toxicosis of moderate severity is characterized by a set of symptoms inherent in a mild form of pathology, but in this case, bouts of vomiting disturb the woman about eight times a day.||May occur throughout pregnancy. But with the appearance of characteristic signs in the second and third trimesters, a woman may require therapeutic treatment.|
|Severe form||Lack of appetite, vomiting, recurring more than eight times during the day, weight loss, dehydration, disorders of the digestive system.||May occur throughout pregnancy. This condition requires treatment in a hospital setting.|
|Rare forms||These include late toxicosis – gestosis, characterized by the appearance of dropsy, as well as pathologies associated with the presence of chronic diseases.||As a rule, these forms of toxicosis occur in the third and second trimesters of pregnancy and require supervision by the attending physician.|
Mild forms of toxicosis do not pose a particular danger to the health of the woman and the fetus.However, in the most severe cases, treatment is required in a hospital or home setting (see
What helps against toxicosis during pregnancy: the causes of the appearance of pathology, as well as safe and effective methods of dealing with toxicosis), since the lack of timely medical care can lead to more than serious consequences.
Advice! If bouts of severe vomiting bother a woman from five times a day, you should immediately contact your doctor.
Reasons for the appearance of
Overeating is one of the causes of toxicosis
The causes of severe toxicosis, as well as pathology occurring in milder forms, are quite diverse. As mentioned above, the etiology and pathogenesis of toxicosis are currently not fully understood, however, the following are called the main factors provoking the appearance of pathology:
Of no less importance is the conditions in which a pregnant woman lives and works. Often, the negative psycho-emotional background accompanying the expectant mother within the walls of her own home or in a state institution is the main cause of toxicosis, which is quite difficult to eliminate.
Ordinary croutons will help to somewhat reduce nausea with toxicosis (pictured)
In the prevailing number of clinical cases, toxicosis does not require treatment on an outpatient or inpatient basis, since it does not entail a threat to the health of the expectant mother and fetus.Therapeutic intervention is required when a woman is worried about frequent vomiting, which is fraught with exhaustion and dehydration of the body.
As for feeling unwell, lack of appetite and systematic bouts of nausea, these symptoms can be overcome by using folk remedies that were actively used by our mothers and grandmothers.
- The use of some fresh vegetables, berries and fruits: citrus fruits, green apples, pumpkin juice, red currants.
- Reception of herbal teas and infusions prepared on the basis of various medicinal plants, for example, mint, lemon balm, chamomile, sage, calendula, oregano.
- Limiting the amount of heavy and fatty foods in the diet.
- Fractional food. With systematic attacks of nausea, it is recommended to eat at least once every two to three hours, but in small portions.
- Refusal of whole milk, it is better to replace it with fermented milk products.
- Refusal from any bad habits.
- Strong black tea and coffee should not be consumed.
- A small amount of croutons, dried fruit or nuts can help reduce nausea.
Sick? – Gnaw on the nuts
In addition, measures such as regular walks in the fresh air, sports, if there are no medical contraindications, a warm bath or a contrast shower can help to cope with attacks of nausea and significantly improve well-being. It is also recommended to consult with your doctor, which is necessary to exclude chronic diseases that can also have a direct impact on the onset of toxicosis.
Women who are not familiar with the main manifestations of pathology are concerned about this kind of question: what are the reasons for the absence of toxicosis, is it normal?
According to doctors, toxicosis, despite its prevalence, is not an absolute norm and indicates the presence of diseases or pathologies. Accordingly, its absence is an absolute norm, characteristic of the state of a healthy pregnant woman, and indicating that the pregnancy is proceeding almost perfectly.
Toxicosis: symptoms, causes, the fight against toxicosis during pregnancy
Frequent problems during pregnancy Updated Mar 8, 2019 5 763 4
Toxicosis is a group of pathological conditions that occur only during pregnancy.
Toxicosis leads to a deterioration in the well-being of the expectant mother, since it is manifested by extragenital symptoms (syndromes and conditions of a pregnant woman that are not gynecological in nature and are not obstetric complications).Symptoms may appear even before your period is delayed and your pregnancy test is positive.
Therefore, many women consider toxicosis the first and reliable sign of a successful conception. Consider the main and most frequent symptoms of toxicosis, which is manifested not only by vomiting and nausea, as many believe.
Symptoms of early toxicosis
Early toxicosis combines several conditions:
- Vomiting of pregnant women. Observed in 50-60% of all pregnant women.Vomiting ranges from mild to severe.
- Vomiting is considered a mild degree of vomiting – no more than 2-5 times a day. It appears most often when hungry or after eating. This type of toxicosis does not need treatment, it goes away on its own after 12 weeks of pregnancy. With a mild form of toxicosis, fractional and frequent meals in small portions are recommended. A light breakfast is also recommended upon waking up.
- Moderate vomiting occurs 5-9 times a day.Vomiting appears regardless of the time of day: morning, afternoon, night. The condition of a pregnant woman with moderate vomiting is often weak, irritable, palpitations are rapid. It is recommended to exclude fatty, spicy and fried foods from the diet. It is also desirable to eat fractionally, about 5-6 times a day in small portions.
- Severe vomiting occurs more than 10 times a day. Vomiting in the expectant mother appears for no reason, she constantly feels sick, because of this condition, the woman is often exhausted and exhausted.The loss of fluid and, as a result, dehydration of the body, is a dangerous condition for a woman and a child. Therefore, the pregnant woman is admitted to a hospital for treatment.
2. Salivation. Excessive salivation will manifest itself as a result of the effects of hormonal changes on the work of the salivary glands. Excessive salivation is not a pleasant phenomenon, since the expectant mother often has to swallow saliva, and being in society is often not convenient to do this.Saliva has many other important functions, including keeping the mouth hydrated and producing enzymes that aid in digestion. 3. Sleepiness. Pregnant women in the early stages often fall asleep during the day, while insomnia at night is observed, this is also due to hormonal changes. 4. Loss of appetite. A pregnant woman often has disgust, even at the sight of her favorite food, vomiting appears and, conversely, there is an interest in dishes to which the expectant mother was indifferent.5. Dermatosis – a phenomenon that is manifested by itchy skin. Itching is local or diffuse. This symptom of toxicosis causes insomnia, irritability, depression, and disrupts sleep. 6. Runny nose resembling allergic rhinitis. Due to hormonal changes and increased production of progesterone and estrogen, swelling of the nasal mucosa occurs. This phenomenon can continue throughout pregnancy, after childbirth it passes quite quickly.
The main causes of toxicosis:
- hormonal imbalance;
- the presence of chronic diseases;
- psychoemotional state;
- age of the expectant mother;
- hereditary factors;
- poor immunity;
- diseases of the digestive tract
Among the reasons can also be noted bad habits and stress, which can provoke the manifestation of symptoms of toxicosis.But the most obvious reason is nevertheless heredity, if the closest relatives on the maternal side experienced similar symptoms, then it is highly likely that they can also occur in a pregnant woman.
These are the main symptoms and causes of toxicosis, many mothers and doctors give valuable advice and recommendations that can significantly alleviate the difficult condition of a pregnant woman.
Recommendations in the fight against toxicosis during pregnancy
- After waking up, it is recommended to drink a glass of water with a few drops of lemon juice on an empty stomach, this will reduce the attacks of nausea and eliminate malaise.You can also add a teaspoon of honey or a wedge of ginger to the water, which is a good remedy for vomiting.
- Special vitamins for pregnant women, which they drink before bedtime, help many pregnant women to reduce the symptoms of toxicosis.
- Do not get out of bed right away in the morning, wake up to eat nuts or yogurt, banana or other fruits, cookies, bread, at your discretion. Prepare a “dry” breakfast in the evening and have breakfast in bed, after a snack you can lie down.
This way you can significantly improve the condition and avoid malaise and weakness.
- Limit the consumption of fried, salty, fatty, sweet, and hard-to-digest foods. Eat small, fractional and frequent meals, preferably every 2-3 hours. Snack on dried fruits, mint candies, tangerines, kefir nuts, etc. to reduce nausea.
- Vitamin B6 reduces the manifestations of toxicosis, so eat more foods in which they are present in large quantities (skinless chicken, fish, nuts, eggs, legumes and avocados, dairy products).
- During the first months of pregnancy, it is beneficial to eat more liquid and semi-liquid foods warm rather than hot.
Eating food should not be combined with the simultaneous intake of drinks.
- Not too often, if desired, alkaline mineral water should be present in the diet of a pregnant woman.
- When drooling, it is recommended to rinse your mouth with an infusion of chamomile, sage, mint.
- In case of toxicosis, it is important to drink plenty of fluids, but in small portions.
It can be chamomile tea, cranberry juice, freshly squeezed apple juice, green tea with lemon, rosehip infusion.
- Walk during the day in the fresh air, often go out of town.
- Ventilate the room more often, being in a stuffy room significantly worsens the condition of a pregnant woman.
If the listed tips did not help the pregnant woman, it means that she faced with a severe form of toxicosis, which, as already noted above, with frequent vomiting, which sometimes reaches 20 times a day.
Severe toxicosis – a condition in which a pregnant woman is weak and malaise.It occurs due to the fact that food and liquid do not stay in the stomach, sleep is disturbed. The woman complains of headaches and muscle pains, dizziness.
Weight loss is noted, sometimes up to 3 kg per week. The subcutaneous fat layer becomes thinner, the skin and tongue are dry, the smell of acetone is felt from the mouth. The temperature rises up to 38 degrees.
Significant tachycardia and hypotension (below 90/60 and above 110 beats per minute).
Such a serious and dangerous condition cannot always be corrected on your own, so you should not endure a severe form of toxicosis and you should consult a doctor who will most likely send a pregnant woman to the hospital.
Observation in the hospital is necessary, since in the first weeks of pregnancy, the child develops all the vital systems of the body.
And if the expectant mother cannot provide all the nutrients, then the child runs the risk of not getting all the essentials.
In a hospital, a pregnant woman with a severe form of toxicosis will be given an IV so that nutrients enter the body. Perhaps the pregnant woman will be offered medications that block vomiting, salivation and help improve the condition.
The pregnant woman will be discharged when the test results improve, weight and general condition stabilize, and most importantly, frequent vomiting stops tormenting
It should be noted that not all pregnant women develop toxicosis. Even for the same woman, the bearing of the first and subsequent children may differ. If with the first she already experienced toxicosis, during the second pregnancy, his symptoms may not bother.
And it does not depend on the gender of the expected child, as many think.In the first weeks of pregnancy, all embryos develop in the same way, at this time the embryo does not yet have a developed reproductive system, this will only happen from 8 weeks. Thus, the absence of toxicosis during pregnancy can also be observed, because
the body of a pregnant woman can react to a child in different ways.
Why is there no toxicosis during pregnancy?
Pregnancy without toxicosis is not a rare phenomenon, such cases are quite common.It would seem that mommy needs to rejoice in pregnancy and enjoy it, but the absence of hints of pregnancy makes her nervous and afraid for the baby’s health. But you should not be afraid, if the pregnant woman feels great and eats with appetite, then this is absolutely normal.
This proves that the body has accepted the baby perfectly and is already functioning perfectly in parallel with its development. The absence of toxicosis says that:
- A pregnant woman has a correct diet;
- She has strong immunity;
- There are no chronic pathologies;
- Vitamins are enough for the baby and the body;
- There are no genetic abnormalities;
- Rest and sleep mode is fully observed.
There is another opinion that much depends on the psychological component. If a woman planned a pregnancy and prepared for it with a positive attitude, then toxicosis, even if it manifests itself, will proceed almost imperceptibly, without darkening expectations.
In any case, even if toxicosis torments you, do not forget that this is a temporary phenomenon. Wait for the body to adjust to the new condition. Tune in to the fact that the pregnancy is going well, and very soon you will feel the joy of meeting your baby, forgetting about some of the unpleasant moments of his expectation.
( 18 estimates, average: 4.78 out of 5) Loading …
Pulls the stomach at the beginning of pregnancy: how to recognize a threat?
Toxicosis during pregnancy. Symptoms and treatment of toxicosis during pregnancy
Toxicosis is a pathological condition of the body that occurs as a result of exposure to exogenous toxins or harmful substances of endogenous origin.
The state of toxicosis is characterized by the manifestation of neurological disorders, disorders of peripheral blood flow, tachycardia, changes in skin color, and a decrease in blood pressure.Due to the presence of dysfunction of the gastrointestinal tract, toxicosis is manifested by nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and anorexia.
With toxicosis, permanent damage to the kidneys and liver occurs. Water-electrolyte metabolism is disturbed, a number of deviations in the acid-base state are observed.
Toxicosis during pregnancy
Toxicosis during pregnancy can also be called gestosis, while the two concepts are equivalent and are synonymous.
Toxicosis during pregnancy occurs as a result of a violation of the adaptation processes of the female body in connection with the development of the ovum.
With timely detection and proper treatment, pregnancy toxicosis usually proceeds without negative consequences for the woman and the fetus.
However, in cases where symptoms go unnoticed – without appropriate treatment – it can become life-threatening for both the pregnant woman and her unborn child.
Distinguish between early and late toxicosis, which usually develops in the last third of pregnancy, starting from the 28th week.
In the name itself – pregnancy toxicosis with edema, proteinuria, hypertension – there is already a description of its symptoms: edema – the accumulation of fluid in the tissues; proteinuria – protein discharge in the urine; hypertension – high blood pressure.
Early toxicosis during pregnancy
Early toxicosis usually disturbs a pregnant woman in the first 12 weeks after conception. The woman complains of weakness, increased salivation, loss of appetite, change in taste. She is sick and vomited.
In especially severe cases, vomiting can occur up to 20 times a day, not only during the day, but also at night. As a result, water and drink are not retained in the body, dehydration begins, a pregnant woman loses weight dramatically.
Her skin becomes dry and flabby, her temperature rises, her pulse quickens, and her blood pressure decreases.
Late toxicosis during pregnancy
Late toxicosis occurs 20 weeks after conception and stops after childbirth.The woman almost does not feel sick, but she develops swelling: first on the legs, then on the hands, and even later, her face swells. If left untreated, the entire body may swell.
In addition, with toxicosis, the pressure increases greatly: 140/90 (and even higher), and it does not decrease even from loading doses of drugs. Further more.
Late toxicosis without medical help can lead to damage to vital organs: kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, brain.
Against this background, a pregnant woman develops a headache and dizziness, impaired vision (flies flicker before her eyes), buzzing in her ears, nausea, vomiting and pain in the epigastric region. An extreme manifestation of toxicosis in the second half of pregnancy is eclampsia. Its main manifestations are convulsions with loss of consciousness.
Such convulsions can be provoked by a loud sound, bright light, pain. Eclampsia testifies to the most severe disorders in the body of a pregnant woman, which can lead to death.The most common cause of death is cerebral hemorrhage; also there is acute respiratory, cardiac, renal failure.
Premature placental abruption may occur.
Causes of toxicosis during pregnancy
The causes of toxicosis are still unclear. Some experts believe that the disease occurs, in particular, due to improper or insufficient nutrition.
Others talk about the reaction of the woman’s immune system to foreign tissue: the child, which has arisen from maternal and paternal cells, is rejected by the mother’s body.
A genetic predisposition is being investigated: if a woman expecting her first child, the mother suffered from pregnancy toxicosis, then in 20 – 25 percent of cases she is at risk of getting sick.
Symptoms of pregnancy toxicosis
Although the causes of toxicosis are unclear, the course of the disease is well understood. During pregnancy, a woman’s blood mass increases by one and a half to two liters. This is necessary to supply the placenta and, through it, the fetus. Usually, the body can easily cope with the task of producing and transporting an increased volume of fluid.
However, with toxicosis of pregnancy, the inner walls of blood vessels are damaged (consideration of the causes is not the task of this article). The water that is part of the blood seeps into the tissues of the body, forming edema (and the face).
Edema may be the first symptom of pregnancy toxicosis, they should be distinguished from the usual “harmless” edema that disappears if the legs are raised higher.
The body reacts to edema by increasing blood pressure – the second symptom of toxicosis during pregnancy.As the water from the blood goes into the tissues, the blood thickens (much as if apple juice were turned into honey). Thickened blood does not flow as well (like honey).
Now the supply of the fetus with blood-borne nutrients and oxygen is insufficient – a situation of deficiency, dangerous for the baby, arises.
The mother’s body reacts by releasing vasoconstricting hormones, which are designed to increase blood pressure and improve blood supply.
A sudden rise in blood pressure (not to be confused with chronically high blood pressure prior to pregnancy) is a common symptom and may occur without prior edema.
Constantly increased pressure can have a negative effect on the kidneys: they will begin to pass more protein molecules that are excreted in the urine.
Slight protein excretion during pregnancy is normal, but out-of-normal protein excretion is the third serious symptom of toxicosis.
Sometimes toxicosis of pregnancy can occur without an increase in pressure.
If a woman has gained a lot of weight in a short time (she has stored more than two kilograms of fluid in a week), and an increased protein content is found in her urine, there may be a risk of eclampsia (seizures).
In this case, the doctor must immediately admit the pregnant woman to the hospital. Women who have been diagnosed with pregnancy toxicosis by a doctor should know what to do. First of all, a gentle regime is required – for body and soul. A pregnant woman should be protected from stress at work and at home.
She must eat well. Then the metabolism can stabilize and the blood pressure drop. This alone makes it possible to practically cure many mild forms of pregnancy toxicosis.It either completely disappears, or proceeds fairly smoothly.
Treatment of toxicosis during pregnancy
Previously, to combat edema, doctors advised to arrange rice days (to remove water from the body), drink nettle tea and limit salt intake. This is not recommended today. Due to dehydration, the blood thickens even more – therefore, the toxicosis is aggravated. Now women suffering from toxicosis are advised to drink more, which promotes blood thinning.
For water to be retained in the blood, the body needs primarily protein, vitamin B6 and sodium. Therefore, pregnant women should eat well and salt their food well. Experience shows that in this case, the edema disappears and the blood pressure decreases.
If this is not enough, hospitalization may be required to gently lower the pregnant woman’s blood pressure under medical supervision.
The goal of any treatment for toxicosis (through dietary changes, medication or hospitalization) is to prolong the pregnancy in order to prevent premature birth.Long-term high blood pressure can damage the placenta – the baby will not receive enough nutrients and become stunted.
In women suffering from toxicosis, the child is examined in the womb. With the help of ultrasound, the size of the fetus is measured, the blood flow velocity in the arteries of the uterus, in the placenta and the umbilical cord is examined, that is, it is checked whether the baby is supplied with sufficient nutrients. With the help of a cardiotocograph, his heart tone is measured.
At the same time, doctors lower the blood pressure of a pregnant woman.
As a result, there is a good chance that the child will continue to grow and the woman will not have dangerous complications. Of course, pregnancy toxicosis justifies its bad reputation, but thanks to timely treatment, balanced nutrition and a calm lifestyle, women suffering from it get a real opportunity to give birth to a completely healthy child.
Prevention of toxicosis during pregnancy
In the evening, place a plate with a few croutons, crackers or a handful of nuts on your bedside table.Slowly eat them before getting out of bed in the morning. Do not get out of bed abruptly, lie down in a relaxed state for a few minutes.
Watch your diet, it should be healthy and balanced. You need to eat often in small portions. It is advisable to have meals every 2-3 hours.
Always carry snacks in the form of nuts, dried fruits, tangerines with you. Eat them if you feel nauseous.
Ginger has a beneficial effect in order to prevent toxicosis.Add it to tea, salads and other dishes, bake healthy gingerbread cookies for snacks.
Exclude from the diet foods that provoke nausea: pickles, smoked meats, marinades, chocolate.
In your diet, give preference to light plant foods, lean meats (chicken fillet is especially useful), buckwheat porridge, lentils, vegetables and fruits.
Monitor the body’s water balance (this is especially important with frequent vomiting to prevent dehydration).Drink weak tea, chamomile broth, rosehip infusion, still mineral water with the addition of a lemon wedge.
Ventilate your home frequently to get rid of cooking odors that can trigger nausea.
Questions and Answers
Question: What is preeclampsia during pregnancy, how it threatens and how to treat it (is it necessary to go to the hospital)?
Answer: Gestosis (former names: late toxicosis of pregnant women, nephropathy) is a complication of pregnancy, which is always accompanied by impaired function of the placenta and the condition of the fetus due to lack of oxygen and nutrients, and also poses a serious threat to the health of women and children.It is necessary to start treating gestosis only in a hospital setting. If the treatment is effective, then after 2.5 – 3 weeks, an attempt can be made to continue treatment on an outpatient basis.
Question: Good afternoon. I am 28 years old, my second pregnancy, my first child is 3.5 years old. Now she is in her eighth week of pregnancy, she suffers from toxicosis.
In the morning I generally can’t come to my senses for a long time (nausea, vomiting), and during the day, it also happened that my stomach ached and felt sick, complete apathy, I eat little, mostly I drink Borjomi, tea with chamomile and mint, and more I take Nux-vomica 10 drops 3 times a day.But a few days ago, vomiting became more frequent.
Is your condition worsening? Do I need to go to the local gynecologist? She immediately wants to put me on the hospital in order to relieve herself of responsibility, because my first pregnancy was also difficult.
But maybe this time the toxicosis will pass by 12-14 weeks? My first child is still small and if they put me in preservation, then there is no one to leave him with. I don’t want to go to the hospital. But, maybe there are some methods of dealing with toxicosis? Maybe on an outpatient basis? Thanks a lot.
Answer: Unfortunately, toxicosis is a condition that threatens your health and life, and this condition can also lead to spontaneous abortion (miscarriage). Therefore, the district gynecologist can send you to the hospital not only to “relieve yourself of responsibility.”
There are strict indications for hospitalization with toxicosis: persistent vomiting leading to a violation of the water and electrolyte balance, the threat of miscarriage, signs of placental insufficiency, functional indicators of kidney function, blood pressure and biochemical blood test indicators.
Treatment of toxicosis involves daily monitoring of the dynamics of the process, which is possible only in a hospital.
Question: I have a term of 12 weeks, until now toxicosis. I eat and do not taste the food. I eat very often, every 1.5-2 hours. Is it okay? There is also nausea and vomiting, vomiting is very rare – once a day. And there is nausea when you are hungry!
Answer: You need to be monitored by a gynecologist and pass a general and biochemical blood test, as well as a urine test.In principle, this condition in the absence of vomiting is the norm, however, it is necessary to adhere to the recommendations of a specialist doctor in order to exclude the occurrence of late gestosis.
Question: Please tell me, I have a second pregnancy (almost 7 weeks), very severe toxicosis (vomiting of bile, bitterness in the mouth). History of chronic cholecystitis (1 stone). I can’t eat anything, and I can’t drink either. Can i do i / m cerucal? And how can you stop vomiting bile? Can droppers do it with glucose and vitamin C?
Answer: In this case, it is recommended to consult a gastrologist as soon as possible.Only after the examination and examination, the doctor will make an accurate diagnosis and prescribe adequate treatment, taking into account your status. Self-medication is contraindicated, because there may be a threat of termination of pregnancy.
Question: Hello. I am 24 years old, I am 11 weeks pregnant. I have had 3 or more concussions in the past. Now I either have such severe toxicosis with hellish headaches, or it is the consequences of concussions. The head can hurt all day and night without stopping, so it is impossible to get up.Tell me, can there be such a toscicosis?
Answer: If you have severe symptoms of toxicosis, you need to personally visit the attending gynecologist to prescribe adequate treatment. In severe cases, treatment is carried out in a hospital.
As a rule, therapeutic measures include: valerian preparations, no-shpu, a complex of trace elements and vitamins, as well as proper nutrition (you need to eat in small portions, often, drink more fluids, do not go to bed immediately after eating).
Early toxicosis during pregnancy
Early toxicosis is usually observed in the first trimester. The prevalence of early toxicosis is so great that very often its symptoms are considered classic signs of pregnancy.
Toxicosis (gestosis) refers to the condition of pregnant women arising from poisoning with harmful substances that are formed in the mother’s body during the development of the embryo, characterized by a plurality of symptoms, of which the most constant and pronounced are dysfunction of the central nervous system, vascular disorders and metabolic disorders …With the termination of pregnancy, the symptoms of the disease also disappear.
These conditions of pregnant women are classified according to the date of occurrence. Distinguish between early toxicosis and late gestosis (toxicosis). They differ in their clinical course.
Early toxicosis is usually observed in the first trimester, and it passes at the beginning of the second trimester of pregnancy, that is, it occurs in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy.
Gestosis occurs in the second or third trimesters.
The prevalence of early toxicosis is so great that very often its symptoms are considered classic signs of pregnancy, while the development of toxicosis indicates a violation of the mechanisms of regulation of metabolism and behavioral reactions in the body of a pregnant woman, which means that the foundations of early toxicosis are pathological. A normally proceeding pregnancy, in contrast to toxicosis, is considered to be a special physiological (normal) state of a woman’s body, and not a pathology (that is, a disease).
The exact cause and mechanisms of development of early toxicosis in pregnant women have not been fully established. There is no doubt that toxicosis is a manifestation of the pathological reaction of a woman’s body to a pregnancy developing in it.
Risk factors for the development of early toxicosis in pregnant women are lack of sleep, overwork, inappropriate nutrition, smoking, alcohol abuse.
A woman complains of weakness, drowsiness, irritability, depression, poor health, increased salivation, loss of appetite, change in taste, nausea, vomiting, weight loss.
Much less often, early toxicosis takes the form of dermatoses (skin lesions), asthma of pregnant women (changes in bronchial reactivity), osteomalacia (softening of bone substance), tetany (skeletal muscle spasms).
Vomiting of pregnant women is one of the most frequent manifestations of early toxicosis in pregnant women. The prevalence of vomiting in pregnant women reaches 60%, of which up to 10% need treatment.
Vomiting usually occurs during the first 20 weeks of pregnancy. Usually, the earlier the vomiting appears, the more severe it is.
The severity of vomiting may vary; in this regard, we distinguish three degrees of severity of vomiting of pregnancy:
First degree – mild vomiting. Vomiting occurs no more than 5 times a day, more often after meals. The general condition of the pregnant woman remains normal, and the weight loss is no more than 3 kg.
Second degree – vomiting of moderate severity. Vomiting occurs up to 10 times a day (on an empty stomach or after meals), and weight loss in 2 weeks can be 3 kg. The general condition of a pregnant woman worsens.The pulse rate increases, while blood pressure, on the contrary, decreases.
Third degree – indomitable, excessive vomiting. Vomiting occurs up to 25 times a day. Such vomiting causes dehydration of the body and a sharp weight loss of the pregnant woman (weight loss can reach 10 kg).
Her skin becomes dry and flabby, an unpleasant odor appears from the mouth, body temperature rises, pulse quickens, blood pressure decreases, general lethargy is noted. Tests show impaired renal function.
In some cases, with excessive vomiting, the question of artificial termination of pregnancy is raised.
In the early stages of toxicosis, vomiting is usually preceded by nausea, which can also be considered as one of the symptoms of early toxicosis. In the future, vomiting may appear without nausea. In some cases, nausea is an independent symptom of early toxicosis and does not lead to vomiting.
Drooling (ptyalism) is the second most common symptom of early pregnancy toxicosis and often accompanies vomiting of pregnant women.
In some cases, salivation is so intense that a pregnant woman loses more than 1.5 liters of saliva per day. Together with saliva, proteins and mineral salts are excreted from the body.
That is why intense salivation quickly leads to a deterioration in the general condition of a pregnant woman and requires treatment.
This is a less common, but extremely unpleasant manifestation of early pregnancy toxicosis. Most often, dermatosis of pregnant women manifests itself in the form of diffuse itching of the skin, which can also spread to the genital area.
Itching causes sleep disturbances, irritation, depression. In all cases of itching during pregnancy, it is necessary to exclude the presence of thrush (candidiasis), allergies, diabetes mellitus, which can also cause itching.
Occurs rarely, but is difficult. The main symptoms of asthma in pregnant women are asthma attacks and a chronic dry cough. Bronchial asthma of pregnant women should be distinguished from the usual form of bronchial asthma, which is usually present even before pregnancy.
Are manifestations of impaired metabolism of calcium and phosphorus in the body of a pregnant woman. Osteomalacia is manifested by loosening of bone tissue and threatens with bone fractures. Tetania is manifested by muscle cramps of the upper extremities (“obstetrician’s hand”), less often of the lower extremities (“ballerina’s leg”), face (“fish mouth”).