How to ease hangover: The request could not be satisfied
10 Hangover Remedies to Get You Through the Morning
The party last night was great, but this morning you’re feeling it and paying the price. Your hangover is in full swing and all you want is a little relief. While there are things you can do to relieve the pain and get back on your feet, the best hangover cures are time and rest.
There were steps you could have taken last night to try and prevent this morning’s pain, but it’s too late for that. For now, the goal is to lessen the negative effects of alcohol. The nausea, weakness, and headache you’re feeling will only go away if you try to counteract them in the most practical and healthiest ways. That includes rest to let your system recover, water to rehydrate your body, and some way to replenish the essential vitamins you lost.
Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all hangover remedy because everyone’s body is different. You will have to find what works best for you and it will likely be a combination of things.
No Magical Hangover Cure
First of all, it’s important to remember that there is no magic solution to your problem. Many of those “hangover cures” you can pick up at the convenience store are practically worthless, so you might want to save your money. Some other hangover supplements may help you find relief, but it’s important to do your research to ensure they’re safe for you to use.
Let’s take a look at a few tried and true hangover cures that you can try. There are no gimmicks here, and you likely have everything you need.
1. Get Some Sleep
Rest is your best friend at this point because your body needs an opportunity to recover. Simply stay in bed as long as you can. Even an extra hour or two of sleep will help out tremendously.
If your hangover is really bad you might need to cancel whatever obligation you have this morning. Of course, that is not a recommendation to be irresponsible, but that’s something you should have thought about last night! Whoever you need to call, you will likely sound so bad on the phone that they may just believe your excuse. (That’s assuming they didn’t see you at the bar last night—then this is a very bad idea.)
2. Drink Water or Juice
Water is the first thing you should be drinking this morning. The alcohol you drank last night dehydrated your body and the best way to feel better is to rehydrate it. Have a glass right when you wake up and continue pouring yourself a fresh one over the next few hours. Just be sure not to overdo it because too much water can make you feel worse. Go slow, but keep the water flowing.
You can also replenish your body with fruit or vegetable juices. Alternating juice with water is one of the best things you can do for a hangover. The water rehydrates while the juice gives you much-needed vitamins.
For a quick pick-me-up, add a little lemon juice to a cup of warm water. Add ginger if you have it to help with nausea. This is one of the easiest and most effective restorative drinks you can make.
Yet another option is a rehydration beverage, including sports drinks such as Gatorade as well as products like Pedialyte. The potassium, sodium, and electrolytes included in many of these drinks are designed to speed up fluid absorption and that may help when you’re hungover. There’s no evidence that these actually work better than water or juice, though. If you have some in the refrigerator, it can be an alternative to juice, but don’t rely on it.
3. Avoid Caffeine
A weak cup of coffee may be okay, but an entire pot will only dehydrate you more and it may make your headache worse. This is the opposite of what you want right now. Even though it is tempting to grab a cup to wake up, it is not the best idea.
Alternatively, make a cup of sweetened tea. The sugar and caffeine will give you a little boost without dehydrating you too much. Most teas have less caffeine than coffee and the type of tea and the brewing method can reduce the amount of caffeine: Choose green over black tea and don’t let the water boil, but warm it gently.
You can also try decaf tea. These are not actually caffeine-free but they do have much lower amounts than regular tea. Rooibos tea is an excellent choice because it’s naturally caffeine-free and high in antioxidants. Adding some detoxifying herbs and spices to the infusion may help with recovery as well.
If you insist on caffeine this morning, drink one glass of water for every caffeinated beverage. This will help counteract the dehydration side effects.
4. Get Some Vitamins
Your body could really use some vitamins right now. The easiest way is to drink orange juice for a healthy dose of vitamin C. One small study found evidence that zinc and B vitamins may reduce the severity of hangovers as well. If you have a multivitamin in the house, this is probably a good time to take that.
5. Eat Something
Food may seem like the last thing you want, but it can help. It doesn’t have to be much or anything that will make you sick. Try to eat mineral- and protein-rich food, even if you don’t feel like it.
Begin with something bland, like a piece of bread or a few crackers or pretzels. The carbs will help regulate your blood sugar, easing the shakes and dizziness. If that stays down, try something with a little more substance like a piece of fruit (bananas are excellent) or a smoothie. In Poland, drinking pickle juice is a popular remedy.
6. Get Some Exercise
When standing seems like a challenge, it takes willpower to get up and move. However, there is some truth to the benefits of a little exercise. It can help restore your body and mind and increase your metabolism, helping rid your body of the toxins a little faster.
There’s no need to work up a sweat, either. A short walk in the fresh air can really do wonders. If your hangover is at the level where even that is not a good idea, take a few minutes to just sit outside and breathe. A little sunshine and a light breeze have excellent restorative powers.
7. Avoid Pain Killers If Possible
Your head is pounding and it’s tempting to reach for a pain reliever. This is not the best idea when you’re dealing with a hangover. Over-the-counter (OTC) products like aspirin, Tylenol, and ibuprofen have side effects that are magnified while alcohol is in your system.
This is probably contrary to everything you want to do right now, but for your long-term health, it is good advice. Just like alcohol, aspirin is a blood thinner and the two in combination can intensify the effects. Tylenol (or acetaminophen) can cause more damage to your liver and ibuprofen can cause stomach bleeding.
If you absolutely feel the need to take one of these, make sure it’s a very low dose of an NSAID (e.g., aspirin, ibuprofen, Aleve). Avoid acetaminophen altogether.
There are alternatives. One of the best natural pain relievers available is Tiger Balm. It is available in many drug stores and that tiny, unassuming jar can knock out a headache. Simply rub it into your temples and you should feel some relief soon.
8. Hair of the Dog
While the popular phrase “hair of the dog that bit you” may sound logical when a shot of whiskey is still in the bottle on your table, it will only provide temporary relief. Using alcohol to cure the pains created by alcohol is not the best idea because it will only prolong your recovery.
Or…Just Bury Me?
According to Irish folklore, it was said that the cure for a hangover was to bury the ailing person up to the neck in moist river sand. This is obviously not a recommended hangover cure, but it is a fun bit of trivia that may put a smile on your face this morning.
And, with that, it’s time for you to head to the kitchen for a glass of water then wander back to bed.
Best At-Home Hangover Remedies & Prevention Tips Backed By Science
Posted: / Updated:
Hangovers. We’ve all been there. And maybe you can’t Sunday Funday like you used to, and today is a bit of an uphill jog. Local author and family physician, Jill Grimes shares some
expert tips just incase we drink a little too much.
If you wake up with a hangover, what can you do?
1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
Dehydration is a major cause of your headache, and only fluid replacement helps. Do NOT chug water or any other fluid, because your irritated stomach will likely reject that. The best rehydration plan is steadily sipping on an electrolyte drink like Pedialyte or a sports drink like Gatorade/Powerade.
TIP: Do NOT use a straw- that will introduce air into your stomach and make any nausea worse.
2. Do NOT start with drinking coffee!
Remember, caffeine is a diuretic, which means you will simply make yourself
MORE dehydrated and worsen the hangover.
TIP: For a quick pick-me-up, add a little lemon juice to a cup of warm water. Add ginger to help with nausea. This is one of the easiest and most effective restorative drinks you can make.
3. Eat a good breakfast
Eating a good breakfast can help maintain your blood sugar levels, provide important vitamins and minerals and reduce the symptoms of a hangover. Jill recommends eating/sipping on a broth-based (not creamy!) canned soup like Chicken-Noodle Soup; the salt content will help you to better retain the fluid.
Check Out These 20 Amazing Dishes & Drinks To Help Cure That Hangover
What can you take to ease that headache & nausea?
Tylenol can irritate the liver (as does alcohol) and Advil (ibuprofen) can irritate the stomach (as does alcohol), so it’s a balance. Consider taking one of each (one Tylenol & one Advil) or the new combination product, Advil Dual Action.
Mild nausea may be helped with over-the-counter antacids like TUMS or Maalox. Severe nausea (you can’t stop puking for more than an hour) may require prescription anti-nausea medications or even IV fluids from your doctor.
Hangover Prevention Tips:
Hangovers obviously come from drinking too much alcohol, so on the front end:
1. Choose beer or wine (or perhaps a frozen margarita!) rather than shots, because most people will drink them more slowly (can’t chug a frozen marg without getting a brain freeze!) and it’s the total quantity of alcohol that matters most.
2. Don’t believe the whole “liquor before beer, you’re in the clear” myth! It’s true that darker liquors like bourbon or whisky may cause more severe hangovers (from a higher content of congeners, which are breakdown products of alcohol metabolism) but the order of drinks is irrelevant.
TIP: Don’t drink on an empty stomach; food will slow down the absorption of alcohol to some degree.
3. Dehydration is a huge part of hangovers (remember that alcohol is a diuretic- it makes you pee) so do NOT add in other diuretics like caffeine, and be sure to drink a glass of water or other non-alcoholic, non-caffeinated beverage in between every alcoholic drink that you consume.
4. Be aware that stimulant medications like ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) meds will blunt the “buzz” of alcohol, so it’s very easy to drink too much because you don’t FEEL like you are drinking, although your blood alcohol levels are rising you and your body will definitely feel the unpleasant side effects of drinking later.
Learn more about Dr. Jill Grimes HERE.
The 4 Best Home Remedies to Cure Your Hangover Naturally
- The most effective hangover remedies include eating carbohydrates, salty foods, eggs, or bananas.
- To help cure a hangover, you should also stay hydrated by drinking water and sports drinks to replace lost electrolytes.
- In addition, there is evidence that supplements like red ginseng, prickly pear, and Korean pear can help relieve hangover symptoms.
- This article was reviewed by Jason R. McKnight, MD, MS, a family medicine physician and clinical assistant professor at Texas A&M College of Medicine.
- Visit Insider’s Health Reference library for more advice.
LoadingSomething is loading.
For as long as there has been alcohol, there have been people searching for a cure to the next day fatigue, nausea, and headaches that can come with a hangover.
Most hangovers will go away on their own within 24 hours. There is no single cure for a hangover, but treating the symptoms can help you feel better. You can use the following home remedies to help relieve your hangover symptoms:
1. Get some food in your stomach
Eating something may help you feel better from a hangover. But if you ask people for their favorite hangover-fighting breakfast, you will likely get several different answers. Some good options include:
Eggs contain amino acids like cysteine, which can help clear acetaldehyde from your system, according to a 2018 article in the Journal of Chemistry.
Acetaldehyde is produced during the metabolism of alcohol. When you drink a lot, your body can’t metabolize acetaldehyde quickly enough. Too much acetaldehyde in the blood has been linked to hangover symptoms like headache, sweating, nausea, and vomiting.
Bananas are a good source of potassium, an important electrolyte that can get depleted after drinking. Low electrolyte levels can contribute to hangover symptoms like fatigue, headache, nausea, muscle cramps, and low energy.
One banana contains 425 milligrams of potassium, or about 12% of your recommended daily value. Other foods rich in potassium include:
- Avocados (708 mg/cup)
- Spinach (420 mg/cup of cooked spinach)
- Baked potatoes (925 mg per potato)
- Salmon (309 mg/3 oz)
Eating salty foods can help replenish your body’s sodium levels, which may also be depleted after heavy drinking. Some of the best examples include:
- Pickles (362 mg sodium/spear)
- Olives (310 mg/4 green manzanilla olives)
- Chicken noodle soup (343 mg/cup)
Carbohydrates help raise your blood sugar, which will help relieve the symptoms of low blood sugar commonly associated with hangovers like fatigue and weakness.
If your hangover has you feeling nausea, you may want to stick to bland foods like toast that will also help settle your stomach. Or, you may want to opt for healthier, complex carbohydrates like:
- Brown rice
2. Stay hydrated
While dehydration isn’t the only cause of a hangover, it is a major one. Drinking water or other fluids when you are hungover will help alleviate the symptoms of dehydration, such as dry mouth, dizziness, and fatigue.
There isn’t a defined amount you need to drink, says Mia Mattioli, MD, a physician at Huntington Hospital in California. Drinking water alongside your alcoholic drinks can also help, because it will both keep you hydrated and likely reduce how much alcohol you consume, Mattioli says.
Drinks with electrolytes will help you retain water. Salty liquids like bouillon soup or sports drinks will also help replace the salt and potassium you lose from urinating frequently while drinking.
Coffee or tea can also help you feel better, especially if your hangover has you feeling fatigue and head pain. The caffeine can help relieve headaches and give you an energy boost, but be wary, because caffeinated drinks are also diuretics, and can end up dehydrating you more.
3. Try supplements
Some supplements and extracts may also help treat hangovers, although Mattioli warns that what works for one person may not work for another. Mattioli says that in general, there isn’t harm in trying different supplements, as long as you never exceed the recommended daily limit of each supplement.
You may want to try the following:
Extract from Opuntia ficus indica, commonly referred to as prickly pear, has been shown to alleviate hangover symptoms.
In a double-blind, placebo-controlled study published in 2004 in the journal Archives of Internal Medicine, 55 healthy adults were given either the placebo or the extract five hours before drinking up to 1.75 g of alcohol per kilogram of body weight. The prickly pear extract was found to reduce symptoms of nausea, dry mouth, and lack of appetite in comparison to the placebo.
A 2014 study published in the journal Food & Function suggests that red ginseng may alleviate hangover symptoms. Researchers had 25 healthy adult men drink 100 mL of whiskey followed by either 100 mL of water or a drink with .321 mg mL of red ginseng. Participants reported less severe hangover symptoms with the red ginseng drink.
A 2016 review of natural remedies for hangovers suggests Pyrus pyrifolia, or Korean pear, can help treat hangover symptoms and reduce the amount of alcohol in your blood. It is important to note that the study cited by the review is small, with just 14 participants.
4. Avoid certain drinks
Some drinks may cause worse hangovers than others. There is some evidence that alcohol with more congeners, the substance that flavors and colors drinks, leads to more severe hangover symptoms. Bourbon and whiskey, for example, are high in congeners, while vodka has essentially none.
A 2010 study published in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research looked at the correlation between high and low congener drinks and severity of hangovers. For the study, researchers examined 95 healthy adults between the ages of 21 and 33 who were not alcohol dependent, as determined by the Short Michigan Alcoholism Screening Test, but who were considered heavy drinkers, meaning they had consumed at least 4 to 5 drinks in a single night in the last 30 days.
Participants were given either whiskey or vodka mixed with cola one night and a placebo of cola and decarbonated tonic with a few drops of whiskey or vodka on top the other night. Participants rated eight hangover symptoms on a scale of 0 to 7 to determine the severity of hangovers. Researchers found that hangovers were worse after a night of drinking bourbon compared to a night of drinking vodka.
While many people claim to have tried-and-true hangover cures, there is no one trick that will work for everyone.
However, there is one trick you should stay away from. Sometimes known as “hair of the dog,” many people claim that having one drink the next morning can help relieve your hangover. Yet this is not recommended by doctors and several studies show that drinking to cure a hangover is associated with problem drinking and alcohol dependence.
Overall, the best way to recover from a hangover is to treat the symptoms, which differ from person to person. And of course, drinking in moderation, staying hydrated, and not drinking on an empty stomach will all help reduce the severity of a hangover.
The 6 Best Hangover Cures
Current events have some of us taking more swigs than usual. According to a recent survey by the non-profit research organization RTI, alcoholic beverage sales are up, and at-home alcohol consumption has increased by 20 to 40 percent across the nation.
Avoiding drinking during widening stay-at-home orders can be challenging. There is no last call for alcohol or real end to the dinner party. This means drinking should happen with caution and with conscience. But if that doesn’t happen, and you end up with a hangover, here are some ways to make it a little less painful.
There’s no exact hangover “cure”—nothing that magically wipes it away in moments. But these moves can bring you a lot closer to feeling back to normal. Here’s what to do.
Take a Breather
“Don’t have another drink,” advises George Koob, PhD, director of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, part of the U.S. National Institutes of Health. “You will just prolong the agony.” Likening hangovers to mini-withdrawal symptoms, Koob debunks the “hair of the dog” myth that suggests that a small bit of the same alcohol that exacerbated your condition is the antidote for your hangover. “It will backfire,” he says.
“Exercise helps clear a lot of the malaise,” says Dr. Koob. Get up and do something—at least take a walk. If you are already an avid exerciser, Lisa Dorfman, a Miami-based registered dietitian and author of Legally Lean, suggests you get moving in the morning. Your circulatory system will be better for it. “Remember to replace lost fluids so you don’t run the risk of dehydration,” adds Dorfman. Again, this won’t cure a hangover, but can leave you feeling a heck of a lot better.
“Take an ibuprofen like Aleve or Advil before bed because the anti-inflammatory aspects of the medication have shown the ability to reduce incidence of headache,” says Robert Glatter, MD, an emergency physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City.
Replenish your nutrients
Fruits high in water content, such as watermelon, can reintroduce fluids and hydrate the body. A glass of water infused with a vitamin supplement like Emergen-C can shorten the length of time you experience the worst hangover symptoms. “Dehydration and headaches have a direct relationship,” says Dorfman.
Cop some complex carbs
Whole grain toast, quinoa and oatmeal are a few complex carbohydrates that go easy on an upset stomach. “You don’t want something that will cause gas, “says Dr. Glatter. Alcohol reduces your blood sugar levels and slow-release carbs have a regulating effect on that blood sugar.
Drink tap or bottled water
And of course, the best cure for the debilitating effects of a hangover is a glass of plain old water.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
Hangover Remedies and Prevention
A hangover is a name given to the unpleasant aftereffects of drinking too much alcohol. While a lucky 25%-30% of drinkers are naturally resistant to experiencing hangovers, the rest of you might want to know how to prevent or cure a hangover. Here’s a look at what causes a hangover and some effective hangover remedies.
If you have had a hangover, you knew it and didn’t need to read a symptom list to get a diagnosis. Alcohol hangovers are characterized by some or all of the following symptoms: dehydration, nausea, headache, fatigue, fever, vomiting, diarrhea, flatulence, sensitivity to light and sound, trouble sleeping, difficulty concentrating, and poor depth perception. Many people experience an extreme aversion to the smell, taste, sight, or the thought of alcohol. Hangovers vary, so the range and intensity of symptoms may be different between individuals and from one occasion to another. Most hangovers begin several hours after drinking. A hangover may last as long as a couple of days.
Hangover Causes According To Chemistry
Drinking an alcoholic beverage that contains impurities or preservatives can give you a hangover, even if you only have one drink. Some of these impurities may be other alcohols besides ethanol. Other hangover-causing chemicals are congeners, which are by-products of the fermentation process. Sometimes impurities are intentionally added, such as zinc or other metals which may be added to sweeten or enhance the flavor of certain liqueurs. Otherwise, it matters what you drink and how much you drink. Drinking to excess is more likely to cause a hangover than drinking moderately. You get a hangover because the ethanol in the drink caused an increase in urine production, leading to dehydration. Dehydration causes headaches, fatigue, and dry mouth. Alcohol also reacts with the stomach lining, which can lead to nausea. Ethanol is metabolized into acetaldehyde, which is actually a lot more toxic, mutagenic, and carcinogenic than the alcohol itself. It takes some time to break down the acetaldehyde into acetic acid, during which you’ll experience all the symptoms of acetaldehyde exposure.
Prevent a Hangover
The only sure way to prevent a hangover is to avoid drinking. While you may not be able to totally prevent a hangover, drinking a lot of water or other rehydrating drink will go a long way toward preventing or lessening most hangover symptoms.
If drinking water didn’t help you out enough or it’s too later and you’re already suffering, there are some potentially beneficial remedies.
- Drink Water: You’ll feel miserable until you are rehydrated. Water is an excellent hangover remedy. So is orange juice, unless your stomach is too upset to handle it.
- Eat Something Simple: Eggs contain cysteine, which may help combat hangover symptoms. Milk is more food than water, but it serves to rehydrate you while supplying calcium, which may ease your misery.
- Sodium Bicarbonate: Try a spoonful of baking soda in water to help quell the hangover queasiness.
- Exercise: It raises your metabolic rate, which helps you clear toxins associated with metabolizing alcohol. Exercise helps you deliver oxygen to your cells, which can increase the speed at which you detoxify harmful compounds.
- Oxygen: Supplemental oxygen is another way to speed up detoxification after drinking alcohol, without having to exercise.
- Vitamin B1 or Thiamine: Thiamine helps prevent the buildup of glutarate in the brain, which may be associated with part of a headache associated with a hangover. Other B vitamins are depleted when you drink, so taking a B vitamin complex may be beneficial.
While it may be alright to take a couple of aspirin to deal with a hangover, don’t take a couple of acetaminophen (Tylenol) tablets. Alcohol with acetaminophen is a recipe for potentially lethal liver damage.
4 Remedies You May Have in Your Cabinet
Last Updated on April 4, 2021
If you clicked on this article, chances are it’s because you’ve experienced the misery brought on by a night of too many drinks—and you never want to feel that way again.
While there’s no true “cure” for hangovers, there are a few things you may already have in your home that may ease your suffering. We’ll also share some tips on how to prevent that horrible feeling in the first place.
What is a Hangover?
Image by Maria Teneva from Unsplash
A hangover is the set of unpleasant symptoms you feel after a night of heavy drinking. If you’ve had one (or a few) too many, you may have experienced some of the following:
- Dry mouth
- Nausea or vomiting
- Depression and anxiety
- Increased heart rate
- Decreased concentration
These symptoms can be attributed to factors like dehydration, poor sleep, and the chemicals released by alcohol’s breakdown process. Although hangovers often feel like they’ll never end, most go away without treatment within 24 hours (unless a person has alcohol poisoning).
The Simplest Hangover Remedies
Many hangover remedies involve steps you should take before the hangover actually happens, such as:
- Sipping water to keep hydrated between drinks
- Eating before and after drinking
- Choosing clear alcohols with low levels of congeners
- Limiting the quantity you consume
Some evidence also suggests that drinking Korean pear juice before alcohol can reduce hangover effects and blood alcohol levels.
If it’s too late for any of these, however, there are still some things you can do. While there is no foolproof cure, different remedies can treat the different factors causing that pounding in your head.
Below are some of the best options you may already have in your house:
Image by Brett Jordan from Unsplash
While this may not be the most creative remedy, it can be a big help. Alcohol can cause neuroinflammation, leading to a throbbing head, and other body aches. Ibuprofen is one of the better inflammation treatments in your cabinet.
Interestingly, some research also suggests that the inflammation caused by alcohol abuse may be linked to depression. If this is true, taking ibuprofen may also help with the morning-after blues.
While dehydration may be over-hyped as a factor in hangover symptoms, it can still have an effect. Pedialyte—an electrolyte beverage originally marketed for sick, dehydrated children—has recently been touted as a hangover remedy. In fact, adults now reportedly make up a third of Pedialyte’s customers. The combination of potassium, sodium, and sugar in this beverage can help replenish your body, and ease dehydration-related pain. If you don’t have any of this beverage on hand, electrolyte sports beverages can have a similar effect, although they contain more sugar.
Image by Steve Buissinne from Pixabay
Many hangover symptoms are not caused by dehydration, but by the body’s breakdown of alcohol. In a 2013 study, researchers in China tested 57 different beverages, and found that Xue bi, a Sprite equivalent, helped speed this process up.
How can soda help a hangover? When alcohol is metabolized, it produces the chemical acetaldehyde, which is then metabolized into the less toxic compound acetate. Acetaldehyde is a major culprit in hangovers, so the faster this conversion happens, the quicker you’ll feel relief.
The discovery that Sprite speeds this conversion caused a flurry of media coverage, some of it probably exaggerated. However, anything you can do to get acetaldehyde to leave your body quickly is worth trying.
A Breakfast High in Cysteine
Cysteine is an amino acid that also helps break down acetaldehyde. As we’ve discussed above, the faster this process happens, the better you’ll feel. Foods high in this amino acid include eggs, meat, oatmeal, and yogurt. Of course, if you have a really bad hangover and can’t hold down any food, this remedy won’t be your solution.
The Best Way to Prevent a Hangover
As you may have gathered, there’s no magic hangover cure. And it probably doesn’t come as a surprise that the best way to prevent a hangover is to drink less. But although this is obvious, it can be difficult to heed this advice when you’re out having a good time with friends. To make it worse, some evidence suggests that hangovers may be a risk factor for alcohol use disorder (e.g., drinking to “get rid of” or put off your hangover).
If you’re caught in a cycle of drinking and hangovers, or are having trouble cutting back, you can now get affordable help without even leaving your home. Ria Health’s telemedicine app combines evidence-based medication and counseling to help you drink less or quit. Get in touch today, and find out how you can make hangovers a thing of the past.
10 Hangover Remedies: What Works?
Don’t get your hopes up The only way to avoid a pounding head and queasiness the morning after is to drink in moderation, or to stay away from alcohol entirely. But it’s often easy to overindulge. Alternating your drinks with water or another nonalcoholic beverage can help you slow down and stay hydrated. If you still wind up with a hangover, you may be inclined to try one of the many supposedly tried-and-true remedies. However, traditional hangover remedies are often ineffective, and some of them may actually make you feel worse.
Hair of the Dog
Even though the thought of a Bloody Mary may appeal to you, a Virgin Mary is a much better choice the morning after. “The worst thing to do is to have another drink,” says Charles Cutler, MD, an internist in Norristown, Pa., and the chair of the American College of Physicians’ board of governors. The alcohol may temporarily help your symptoms but could hurt in the long run. Hangovers make you feel horrible because alcohol is toxic, Dr. Cutler explains, and you need to give your body a chance to recover. That morning drink could lead to an even worse hangover the following day.
There’s no scientific evidence that a heaping helping of bacon and eggs will ease hangover anguish, even though many people swear by it. “Greasy food is just going to give you heartburn,” says Dr. Cutler, who recommends sticking with easy-to-digest foods such as toast or cereal. “You want to get calories right back into your system.”
Eat light and stay hydrated, agrees John Brick, PhD, an alcohol research scientist and author of The Doctor’s Hangover Handbook. “No specific foods are recommended, although honey sandwiches are helpful to some people,” Brick says.
Related: Best and worst foods for bloating
Alka-Seltzer turned 85 in 2016, and the famous fizzy medicine has probably been used to treat hangovers for nearly that long. In 2001, the company even introduced a Morning Relief formulation specifically for hangovers.
All Alka-Seltzer varieties contain sodium bicarbonate (also known as baking soda), which will help settle a queasy belly by neutralizing stomach acid. Still, other ingredients, notably aspirin and citric acid, may irritate your stomach after a night of heavy drinking.
There are lots of hangover “cures” in a bottle out there—such as Chaser, PreToxx, and RU 21—but very little evidence to back up claims. “Hangover pills that have been studied are not effective, or only help against a few complaints…but not all,” says Joris C. Verster, PhD, an assistant professor of psychopharmacology at Utrecht University in the Netherlands, who studies hangovers.
A 2005 review article in the journal BMJ identified eight peer-reviewed, placebo-controlled studies of hangover remedies, and concluded that “no compelling evidence exists” to support their use.
Dr. Cutler suggests taking a multivitamin instead to restore the nutrients your body may have lost during a binge.
Related: 14 surprising causes of dehydration
If you’re a regular coffee drinker, skipping java when you’re hung over may—or may not—be a good idea, Brick says. You may wind up layering a pounding caffeine-withdrawal headache on top of your hangover woes when you miss your regular morning fix.
That said, caffeine narrows your blood vessels and boosts blood pressure. “Both of these may make the hangover worse,” Brick says. “If you drink coffee regularly, you might try a very small amount in the morning. Wait 30 to 60 minutes and see how you feel.”
Water and sports drinks
Conventional wisdom holds that the dehydration caused by heavy drinking is what makes you feel so sick the next day. In fact, experts actually know very little about what causes a hangover. Potential culprits include disrupted biological rhythms or even alcohol withdrawal, and research suggests that congeners—toxic substances found in alcohol, especially dark liquors such as whiskey—may also play a role.
Nevertheless, replacing the fluid you’ve lost will likely help you feel a little less miserable. “Juice, water, Gatorade, all those things—they’re going to make you feel better,” says Dr. Cutler.
For women who have PMS-related pain such as cramping, breast tenderness, backaches, or headaches, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory pain relievers (NSAIDs) can provide some relief.
These include ibuprofen (Advil and similar drugs) and naproxen (Aleve).
Or you can try over-the-counter remedies specifically aimed at PMS like Pamprin and Midol. These often combine some sort of pain reliever with caffeine.
Related: The 20 best foods to eat for breakfast
A gentle workout could help you feel better, if you can manage it (and that’s a big if).
“Remember: If you’ve been drinking heavily, you could be a little dehydrated, you could be metabolically behind on your nutrition, and exercise is going to require hydration and nutrition,” Dr. Cutler says. “Exercise is always the right thing to do, but I don’t think [on] the morning you wake up with a hangover, exercise is what you need.” What you really need is rest, he adds.
Think you can “sweat out” the alcohol and other toxins you may have consumed during a night of partying? Think again. A sauna can cause potentially dangerous blood vessel and blood flow changes in your body. “The last thing you need is to disrupt the normal blood-flow patterns by extreme heat,” Dr. Cutler says.
If you’re already somewhat dehydrated, excessive sweating can be harmful, and even deadly. Researchers from the Finnish State Alcohol Company’s Research Laboratories, in Helsinki, warn that sauna bathing while hung over carries “real health risks,” including dangerous drops in blood pressure and abnormal heart rhythms.
People sleep poorly after a night of drinking. Alcohol will put you to sleep quickly, but when it begins to wear off several hours later, the withdrawal your body feels can disrupt sleep and jolt you awake. Although sleep deprivation won’t by itself cause a hangover, it definitely can make the symptoms feel worse.
If you have the luxury of “sleeping it off” the next day, do so. Your foggy brain and achy body will thank you. “The body’s got an amazing capacity to heal on its own,” says Dr. Cutler.
In the end, the only surefire treatment for a hangover is time.
90,000 What are the most effective hangover pills, proven drugs and methods
Withdrawal syndrome or hangover is a condition caused by the poisonous effect of alcohol, accompanied by a complex of violations of the activity of internal organs. With a hangover, acute symptoms disturb: nausea, unbearable migraine, dizziness, bouts of vomiting. Special hangover pills will quickly relieve such symptoms, normalize well-being, help remove toxic substances from the body, and prevent dehydration.
What pills help with a hangover
If there are no drugs at hand intended to combat the withdrawal symptoms , the following will help to alleviate the well-being:
- activated carbon;
- acetylsalicylic acid;
After party it is recommended to drink :
- 8 – 10 tab. activated carbon;
- 2 tab. No-Shpy;
- 1 tab. aspirin.
The following drugs will help alleviate the symptoms of alcohol poisoning:
The selected drug is recommended to be taken before bedtime after heavy drinking. To speed up the elimination of alcohol from the body, after awakening , it is advisable to drink a large mug of strong tea with sugar and have breakfast with light meals. To improve the functioning of the digestive tract, you can take drugs:
- Hilak Forte;
After alcohol abuse in the body, dehydration occurs . Rehydrants will help restore the hydrobalance:
- Hydrovit Forte.
Effective hangover pills based on natural ingredients
The question of which pills help with a hangover should be asked by the doctor, who will select the ideal drug, taking into account the individual characteristics of the patient. Most drugs to combat withdrawal symptoms are sold without a prescription.A list of herbal hangover pills is listed below:
- Corrida. Made on the basis of grapes, contains antioxidants that accelerate the elimination of toxic substances from the body. The drug has a beneficial effect on the liver, but it is not used as an emergency aid. Most often, it is included in a comprehensive maintenance therapy regimen.
- Stand up. The main components of the drug are ginseng, St. John’s wort, thyme. Tablets are not suitable for emergency and are recommended for maintenance treatment.the drug improves metabolic processes, normalizes the activity of the digestive system, has a sedative, hypnotic effect.
- Alco Buffer. The active ingredient is milk thistle extract. The medicine has a positive effect on the condition of the liver, quickly removes toxic substances from the body.
- Drink OFF. The composition includes natural ingredients: ginger, eleutherococcus, licorice extract, citric and succinic acids. These effective hangover pills quickly fight the most unpleasant symptoms – headache, dizziness, and nausea.
Other hangover drugs
To remove a hangover with pills is the fastest and most effective way to immediately return to a full life and restore the normal functioning of the whole organism. Drugs to combat hangover have a number of useful properties:
- quickly remove toxic substances from the body;
- relieve thirst, unpleasant taste and dry mouth;
- stabilize the hydraulic balance;
- eliminate migraine, dizziness, nausea.
It is recommended to take drugs for a hangover, strictly observing the dosage suggested in the instructions. It is advisable to drink the drug with ordinary drinking water without gas and sweeteners. Each drug for fighting hangover syndrome has contraindications , which are important to consider before drinking. An overview of the most effective and affordable drugs for withdrawal symptoms is provided below:
Many people have appreciated the real benefits of the drug, which includes: –
- sodium bicarbonate;
- acetylsalicylic and citric acid.
Within half an hour after use, the product helps to eliminate the following symptoms:
- attacks of nausea;
The effervescent tablets dissolve in water, and the finished drink tastes good. In addition to relieving unpleasant symptoms, the drug reduces the burden on the heart by thinning the blood. However, it is not recommended to use Alka-Zklzer for people with a tendency to internal bleeding , diseases of the hematopoietic system, as well as women during menstruation.
Available in capsules containing:
- calcium pantothenate.
These substances have a powerful detoxifying effect and help to quickly remove from the body such dangerous poisons as:
- alcohol metabolites;
- heavy metal salts:
- arsenic compounds.
The drug firmly binds and quickly removes toxic compounds, facilitating the functioning of kidneys and liver.Zorex is suitable for emergencies when you need to quickly get rid of the hangover syndrome.
Consists of components:
- acetylsalicylic acid;
Sold as effervescent tablets. To relieve the hangover syndrome, you need to dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink. If the withdrawal syndrome is very severe, it is allowed to take 4 such doses throughout the day.
Sold as a chewable lozenge. They contain specific acids that neutralize the negative effects of ethanol. The drug helps not only get rid of unpleasant symptoms, but also prevent the hangover itself. To do this, before the feast itself and throughout the banquet, it is recommended to periodically chew the pastilles.
Tablets are ineffective in case of developed alcohol poisoning, since they do not have a sorption effect, which allows them to bind and remove toxic decomposition products of ethanol from the body.
Effectively combats the negative effects of intoxication. The preparation contains extracts of the following plants:
- terminalia chebula;
- date palm.
Effect of the use of capsules:
- slowing down the rate of ethanol oxidation and preventing its accumulation in the liver;
- intensive elimination of toxic substances;
- Elimination of severe hangover symptoms.
The drug improves metabolism, protects hepatocytes from destructive effects of harmful toxins , has a powerful antioxidant effect.
The main active ingredient of the preparation is succinic acid and sodium bicarbonate. It is advisable to take the tablets in the morning after the banquet. They effectively cleanse the liver of poisons, restore oxidative processes, normalize the hydrobalance, and quickly relieve the symptoms of alcohol intoxication.
The composition contains substances that have a powerful cleansing and improving metabolic functions:
- sodium formate;
The drug is intended for the relief of severe withdrawal symptoms. Sodium formate instantly enters the bloodstream, neutralizing the decay products of ethanol. Glucose nourishes the cells of the internal organs and accelerates the elimination of toxins.
What drugs will help prevent a hangover
It is much easier to prevent withdrawal symptoms than to deal with its consequences.To do this, before the feast, it is recommended to drink one of the following suggested preparations:
- Enterosgel. To prevent an acute hangover, it is recommended to drink three tablespoons of the gel after the banquet and the same amount immediately after waking up. The drug quickly binds and removes toxins, relieving hangovers and pathological symptoms.
- Activated carbon. The drug prevents from absorbing alcohol , due to which the symptoms of alcohol intoxication are much less disturbing.10 – 15 minutes before the feast, you need to drink 4 tablets, then take 2 tablets every 1 – 1.5 hours.
- Almagel. Has an astringent effect. The suspension should be drunk 10 – 15 minutes before the meal in the amount of 2 – 3 tablespoons. Then take the remedy every 30 to 40 minutes.
- Vitamins B and C. These are powerful antioxidants that accelerate the elimination of toxins from the body, preventing alcohol intoxication.
In addition to taking medications, it is advisable to adhere to the rules that will significantly alleviate the hangover syndrome:
- Drink plenty of fluids.An adult struggling with alcohol intoxication should consume at least 5 glasses of ordinary drinking water every hour. This is a moderate fluid load that increases urine output and intensive natural elimination of toxins. However, it is worth noting that with sick kidneys, drinking plenty of fluids can cause a worsening of the condition, but if everything is in order with health, such a water load does not pose any danger. In addition to water, you can use fruit drinks, freshly squeezed juices, compotes, green tea with honey.
- Eat right. During a feast, you should not lean on heavy food, the digestion of which only increases the load on the body. It is recommended to eat a plate of buckwheat, rice or oatmeal immediately before the banquet. Any of the selected dishes normalizes the work of the digestive tract, due to which toxins will leave the body much faster. During the banquet, nutritionists advise to lean on vegetable salads, juicy fruits, but it is better to refuse fatty meat, smoked meats, mushroom dishes.
- Normalize sleep. During sleep, the human body recovers and utilizes alcohol more efficiently than . Before going to bed, it is advisable to ventilate the bedroom, and if the weather outside allows it, leave the window open for the whole night. A good sleep will allow you to wake up with a fresh head in the morning and avoid a severe hangover.
- Refuse coffee. Caffeine-containing drinks have a strong diuretic effect, contributing to an intense loss of fluid, which is not enough in the body during alcohol intoxication.The lack of fluid causes the blood to thicken, as a result of which the load on the heart increases significantly.
- Walking in the fresh air. Short walks in the fresh air have a beneficial effect on the entire body, saturating cells with oxygen and promoting their active regeneration. unpleasant hangover symptoms such as headache, nausea, dizziness disappear after walking.
- Take a refreshing shower. Water at room temperature tones blood vessels, normalizes blood pressure, cleanses skin pores from impurities and toxins.
How to relieve hangover syndrome – folk and pharmacy remedies + Video
1 Medicines in the fight against a hangover
Not always a bottle of mineral water helps to return to your usual state in the morning after a feast, so you should know more effective means of dealing with a hangover. First of all, a hangover is a poisoning of the body. What should be done to relieve the hangover syndrome and alleviate the condition? At home, the following measures will help:
- For those who woke up in the morning with dizziness and headache, we recommend taking an aspirin or citramone tablet.These medications will help relieve pain at home.
- Absorbents will help to remove toxins and normalize bowel function. After a binge in the morning, you should take 10-12 tablets of activated carbon. Another drug that helps to restore the mucous membrane of the gastrointestinal tract – Enterosgel . It also prevents the appearance of dysbiosis. If you have alcohol poisoning, you should take at least 3 tablespoons of water.
- Polyphepan can have an effect faster than coal.It should be taken 2 times 3 tbsp. spoons with a glass of water, at intervals of 2 hours.
- You can relieve hangover, nervous irritation and improve brain function with inexpensive glycine tablets.
- For those who have chills and tremors in the morning after a busy evening, we recommend Baralgin and Furosemide .
- Another effective drug that has an anticonvulsant, choleretic, laxative effect is Magnesium Sulfate .Consume at intervals of 3 hours by dissolving a sachet of the drug in water (1/2 cup).
Remedies for hangover syndrome
We recommend that you familiarize yourself with
Today there are many anti-hangover remedies that help to quickly get rid of symptoms, even after a long binge.
- Zorex is an effective drug for the treatment of a hangover. Thanks to its composition, toxins are neutralized, alcohol oxidation is stimulated, which prevents the destruction of the liver.One capsule should be taken in the evening, and the second in the morning on an empty stomach.
- The pharmacy preparation DrinkOFF will help to remove the hangover syndrome, which contains vitamins, antioxidants, extracts of ginseng, licorice, ginger, mate. Immediately after a feast or when the first symptoms of a hangover appear, you can take a pill, which will have a tonic effect, relieve headaches and give strength.
- For those who were having fun yesterday evening, dancing and drinking alcohol, and already this morning cannot even raise their heads, we advise you to take the well-known drug Alka-Seltzer .It contains aspirin, citric acid and sodium bicarbonate, which can quickly relieve hangover syndrome.
On the counter of pharmacies you will find a lot of other drugs that will help you quickly get out of a hangover. Treatment of alcohol addiction with a drug method will help eliminate hangover symptoms, restore strength and cleanse the body. Let’s just note that all anti-hangover pills should have the following effect on the body:
- relieve headache;
- to prevent weakness, weakness and depression;
- Eliminate dry mouth and thirst;
- to remove alcohol decomposition products from the body;
- to normalize the water-salt balance.
2 What folk remedies will help relieve symptoms?
Alcohol intoxication can cause significant damage to the body, but it is far from always worth resorting to the help of medications. There are folk remedies that will speed up the treatment of hangover. The first thing to do in the morning is to drink water. Alcohol is a powerful diuretic, so your body is dehydrated. A proven folk remedy is honey and lemon juice.If you have the strength to do something, make strong tea with them.
The only thing you want to do in the morning after a party is to sleep. Your body needs at least 8 hours of sleep, so turn off your phone and go to bed. If you can’t get enough sleep, and you need to go to work, then only a shower can bring you to your senses. The water should be warm and pleasant, and a contrast shower is the best option. Potassium is quickly excreted with alcohol, and citrus fruits can fill this gap. Eat a couple of tangerines or oranges in the morning and you will feel much better.And if you are strong enough to make freshly squeezed orange juice, you are a hero! After all, such a drink can increase blood sugar levels.
Freshly squeezed orange juice from a hangover
Massage of the auricles will help to increase the blood flow to the head, for this rub your ears hard. It is also useful to do gymnastics, just a couple of physical exercises will help tone up at home.
A useful and effective way to get away from binge drinking and relieve hangover syndrome is dairy products.They provide the body with protein, minerals and vitamins. In addition, fermented milk products have a positive effect on the work of the stomach, are rapidly absorbed and perfectly restore strength after a long binge.
Due to the high content of amino acids and beneficial bacteria, fermented milk products have a laxative effect and remove alcohol decomposition products. Hangover treatment with kumis is a simple and effective way. It is a drink high in lactic acid and vitamin B.Half a liter of kefir will help to alleviate the intoxication of the body and relieve the hangover syndrome, it will fill the body with the necessary energy and have a positive effect on the liver, refreshes and restores the work of the gastrointestinal tract.
3 When do you need heavy artillery?
To alleviate the poisoning of the body after a long binge, folk remedies and medicines should help. What to do if home treatment has failed? Unfortunately, alcohol intoxication can even lead to death, so if your condition does not get better, immediately call an ambulance.
Medicines for alcohol intoxication
You should call an ambulance without hesitation in the following cases:
- pain in the abdomen and chest;
- severe headache;
- fear of death and panic attacks;
- general weakness;
- cold sweat;
- high pressure;
- vomiting with bile;
And after a protracted binge, not everyone can be helped by means that can be easily found in any home, so treatment with medicines and the help of qualified specialists is inevitable.Alcohol poisoning is not the most critical, however, there is no need to ignore the signs of poisoning! Alcohol poisoning is still a serious health threat, and it is better to entrust the treatment of the consequences to specialists. We advise you not to abuse alcohol and know when to stop!
90,000 doctors gave advice on what to drink and what to eat
Since alcohol has an inflammatory effect on our bodies, it would make sense that we could fight hangovers by feeding our bodies “anti-inflammatory foods” to counteract the physiological effects of drinking.
Two such anti-inflammatory agents have been studied in research: zinc and niacin, also called vitamin B3. These nutrients are known to promote the rapid elimination of ethanol and acetaldehyde, two byproducts of alcohol metabolism, according to a study published in Journal of Clinical Medicine . The study was small, involving only 23 people, but it found that those who had higher levels of niacin and zinc in their food intake reported less severe hangover symptoms than those who had them. was lower.
So it doesn’t hurt to eat zinc-rich foods such as legumes (lentils and beans), meats and shellfish, fish, poultry, avocados, peanuts, whole grains, and mushrooms.
Can drugs help prevent a hangover?
The idea of ”magic pills” you can drink to prevent hangovers is good, and research published in the journal Alcohol and Alcoholism, tested one. Again, the study was small, with only 19 Finnish men, and was funded by a company that made supplements containing L-cysteine, an amino acid, and other micronutrients.L-cysteine has been shown to help block the action of acetaldehyde, one of the byproducts that causes hangovers.
After drinking alcohol for three hours, the men took either 600 milligrams or 1200 mg of L-cysteine or a placebo. Those taking the supplements the next morning reported lower levels of nausea, headaches, and anxiety than those taking the placebo.
Of course, experts are fairly skeptical about these results. The study should be repeated by other researchers in different conditions.Cysteine may work by converting to an antioxidant called glutathione, which can reduce alcohol-induced inflammation in the liver, but more testing needs to be done.
What helps relieve a hangover
Evidence that a food, nutrient, or supplement can help cure a hangover is preliminary at best. Right now, the only surefire way to prevent a hangover is to avoid drinking alcohol.
But you can also make it in advance so that the hangover is less. This is an easy way: drink slowly, eat before drinking a lot of alcohol to slow the absorption of alcohol in the stomach, and alternate soft drinks with alcoholic drinks to maintain proper hydration. All of these will help reduce the effects of alcohol.
Alcohol is a diuretic, which means it stimulates you to urinate, so you will lose more fluid than usual.Mild dehydration can lead to hangover symptoms such as thirst, fatigue, and headache.
The type of alcohol you drink can also make a difference. There is evidence that some people are sensitive to compounds other than alcohol in certain beverages.
According to a study published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition , many wines contain sulfites, which can cause headaches.
Likewise, dark alcohols like bourbon have higher levels of compounds known as congeners, which can worsen hangover symptoms in some people.In these cases, drinking pure alcoholic beverages such as vodka can help.
See also: Moderate alcohol consumption can be beneficial: doctors conducted new research
Eliminating a hangover with pills: effective drugs for a hangover
A hangover is an unpleasant condition that almost anyone encounters after drinking. It is accompanied by attacks of severe migraine, vomiting and nausea, lethargy and apathy.Hangover pills relieve the manifestations of post-alcoholic syndrome and normalize health.
Action of anti-hangover drugs
Hangover pills, the list of which is presented below, activate the excretion of ethanol breakdown products from the cells of the body, removing signs of intoxication.
Effect of pharmacological agents on the body:
- Cleansing of all internal organs from the poisonous substances of ethyl alcohol;
- maintaining an optimal level of moisture and salt balance;
- relief of pain in the head;
- elimination of increased dryness in the oral cavity;
- Improving tone and activity, getting rid of fatigue.
Pharmaceutical hangover remedies are allowed to be drunk both before taking a strong drink and in the morning when unpleasant symptoms appear. The way of using the medicine is indicated in the manufacturer’s information.
What pills are useless for hangover
In an effort to get rid of the symptoms of a severe morning state as soon as possible, a person often takes those drugs that are at hand and does not take into account their pharmacological effect.
- Paracetamol – has an increased burden on the liver, weakened by the breakdown and excretion of the constituents of ethyl alcohol.
- Citramon – often taken for headaches. A pharmaceutical product based on paracetamol has a similar effect.
- Nurofen – designed to relieve spasms in inflammatory diseases and does not affect hangover symptoms.
Before you relieve a hangover with pills, be sure to read the annotation to the medicine, otherwise you can only worsen your condition.
Effective preparations for relieving unpleasant symptoms
Popular pharmaceuticals for reducing hangover symptoms have various effects on the body – they reduce migraines, restore heart rate and blood pressure indicators, and cleanse them of toxic compounds.
What pills help with a hangover:
- activated carbon;
Most often, activated charcoal from a home first-aid kit is used to neutralize the effects of a feast. The number of tablets is calculated individually, based on body weight – one tablet is taken per ten kg.
Charcoal can be taken in combination with other drugs, which significantly increases their effectiveness . If you feel unwell, you can take 7-9 tablets of activated carbon with an aspirin capsule and two No-Shpy. Charcoal removes toxic substances, No-Shpa improves the functioning of hepatocytes (liver cells), and aspirin normalizes blood pressure and relieves spasms.
To neutralize the symptoms of the hangover syndrome, Kofitsil-plus and Askofen are used. Medications must be taken in the evening, before bedtime. If the morning awakening after libations is accompanied by edema, it is recommended to take a pill of Furasemide or another diuretic pharmaceutical.
To eliminate the unpleasant odor of fumes and increase the overall tone, liquid vitamin B6 is used, which is available in the form of ampoules. One ampoule should be diluted in water (2-4 tablespoons) and drunk in one gulp.
This component has a detoxifying, immunomodulating and tonic effect. Vitamin B6 stimulates the functioning of liver cells and metabolic processes, due to which the toxic components of ethyl alcohol are removed from the cavity of the gastrointestinal system much faster.
Effervescent drugs relieve hangovers well – Alka-Seltzer, Zorex, Aspirin Upsa. They dissolve in a cup of water and begin to act immediately after consumption, without irritating the inflamed surface of digestive organs.Effervescent tablets act faster than usual ones, since carbon dioxide provides intensive saturation of cells with oxygen molecules.
Overview of herbal preparations
Pharmaceuticals based on natural ingredients of organic origin are often used to reduce symptoms of hangover and improve general condition. They have a mild, sparing effect on weakened organs.
Effective herbal anti-hangover preparations:
- Get up;
- Alco Buffer;
- Guten Morgen.
Corrda is an effective remedy for combating unpleasant hangover symptoms based on white grapes. Normalizes the functioning of hepatocytes and cleanses its cells from toxic substances. This remedy is intended for long-term use and is not used for emergency hangover relief.
Stand up is a pharmaceutical preparation containing organic extracts of St. John’s wort, thyme and ginseng extract. Effectively improves metabolic processes, strengthens sleep, the functioning of the nervous system and organs of the gastrointestinal tract.Used for long-term therapy.
Alco-Buffer – the basis of this drug is an extract from milk thistle, which is considered one of the most effective plant hepatoprotectors. Milk thistle normalizes the work of hepatocytes, cleans cells from poisonous components and activates the processes of their regeneration.
DrinkOFF is a popular herbal remedy, which is effective and fast acting in case of hangover symptoms.The tablets contain succinic and citric acids, eleutherococcal extract, ginger root extract. The remedy reduces pain in the head and neutralizes other signs of a hangover, increases tone and activity.
Guten Morgen is a pharmaceutical product containing succinic and ascorbic acid, dry cucumber pickle, and an extract from grape berries. Prevents dehydration of the body, maintaining the required level of moisture, improves overall well-being.
Medichronal refers to pharmacological agents based on the active ingredient sodium formate.After ingestion, it enters the bloodstream and spreads throughout the body, neutralizing the aggressive effects of the constituents of ethanol.
Medichronal effectively accelerates metabolic processes, cleanses the blood from poisons, stimulates tissue renewal. The manufacturer emphasizes that this drug is intended to combat severe post-alcoholic syndrome. With an insignificant dosage of ethyl alcohol in the blood, Medichronal can provoke intoxication of the body.
The Bison anti-hangover agent contains two active ingredients – amber acid and soda.The pharmaceutical product acts directly on the redox processes, providing an antioxidant effect and cleansing hepatocytes from toxic compounds and ethanol residues. After the morning intake, Bison quickly relieves migraines and improves tone.
Zenalk – anti-hangover preparation based on herbal extracts and extracts. Its composition is dominated by organic extracts from terminalia chebula, chicory extract, emblica and date palm.Zenalk effectively improves metabolic processes, accelerates the cleansing of body tissues from the toxic elements of alcohol.
The pharmaceutical agent has an antioxidant effect, protecting the cells of the brain, kidneys, liver and other internal organs from ethanol.
Antipohmelin is one of the most common pharmaceuticals for relieving hangover syndrome. According to the annotation, the tablets should be taken before drinking an alcoholic drink.
Antipochmelin contains active ingredients that minimize the aggressive effects of alcohol. These are ascorbic, as well as succinic acid, glucose and sodium glutamate. The medication relieves the signs of alcohol intoxication.
Zorex is an anti-hangover pill based on the active ingredient utinol. This component penetrates the liver, improves its functioning, accelerates the toxic decomposition products of ethyl alcohol and protects hepatocytes from their destructive action.
Zorex tablets are well tolerated by the body, but in some cases they can cause an allergic reaction or hypersensitivity to utinol. In such cases, the use of the drug must be abandoned and replaced with another anti-hangover agent.
Alka-Prime is a drug based on aspirin, glycine and soda, which relieves the effects of alcohol consumption. It prevents the loss of moisture in the body, relieves attacks of headaches, and normalizes the functioning of the nervous system.Alka-prip reduces toxic effects of acetaldehyde on the human body.
Alka-Seltzer are effective hangover pills that dissolve in water and quickly eliminate the unpleasant symptoms of hangover. The preparation contains aspirin, citric acid and soda, which are quickly absorbed by the body.
The medicine tidies up the acid-alkaline balance and maintains it at an optimal level, eliminates headaches and dizziness.
Ways to prevent a hangover
Preventing a hangover is much easier than fighting unpleasant, painful symptoms in the morning. To do this, you can use drugs that are taken before drinking alcoholic beverages.
- Enterosgel – this sorbent helps to prevent the appearance of a hangover or to minimize its symptoms. For this purpose, you need to take 3 tablespoons of Enterosgel after alcohol and the same amount in the morning. The drug can be drunk before a feast – this is to reduce intoxication.
- Activated carbon – does not make you very intoxicated, as it absorbs and neutralizes ethyl alcohol. To do this, you need to take 3-5 tablets 20 minutes before the feast, after which 2 tablets every 55-60 minutes.
- Almagel is a drug designed to detoxify the body in case of various poisonings, including alcoholic ones. Three tablespoons of the product should be taken 15 minutes before “libation”, then drink 2 tablespoons every 30-40 minutes.
- Milk is very popular among folk anti-hangover remedies – a glass of this drink, drunk before the first glass, will prevent the development of headaches and other symptoms of a morning hangover.
- To prevent unpleasant symptoms, you can take vitamins B6 and C – they speed up the metabolism, helping the body to process, break down and remove the decay products of ethanol.
A hangover is a severe result of alcohol consumption that is familiar to many. It is accompanied by a sharp deterioration in health, severe headaches, bouts of nausea and vomiting. Effective anti-hangover drugs help reduce unpleasant symptoms, cleanse the body of toxic substances and improve overall well-being.
How to relieve a hangover after New Year’s celebrations
All inhabitants of the planet Earth are looking forward to the New Year. But quite often in the morning after a feast with the presence of alcoholic beverages, a state of hangover comes. Headaches, thirst, feeling overwhelmed make the morning (day) simply unbearable. To get rid of a hangover, you can use several proven folk recipes and, accordingly, improve your well-being.
What foods help to effectively fight a hangover
First of all, it must be said that a hangover can occur on the basis of the effects on the body of acetaldehydes, that is, products that are formed during the breakdown of ethanol molecules.The more a person drank alcohol, the more unpleasant the hangover syndrome can be.
To alleviate the condition, or rather to cleanse the body after a feast with alcoholic beverages, you can use these tips and familiarize yourself with products that will get rid of intoxication:
- Kefir. This dairy product contains proteins, milk sugar, and other beneficial substances that contribute to the ability to cleanse the body of harmful substances obtained from the breakdown of alcohol.In addition, kefir helps to improve the work of the gastrointestinal tract, so appetite will appear. You can also drink yogurt instead of kefir, but it should be as low in fat as possible and made from natural products.
- Tomato juice or cucumber pickle. It is believed that these are the most potent foods for treating symptoms. The fact is that tomato juice and brine help to normalize the water-salt balance in the body. But it should be noted that tomato juice cannot be drunk by people who have a disease such as a stomach ulcer.
- Be sure to drink plenty of water to avoid severe dehydration. It is advisable to drink not plain water, but mineral water.
- Broth from oats. To do this, take 1 cup of oats and fill it with water (1.5 cups). You need to cook the oatmeal for 1 hour, but always over low heat. After the indicated time, the broth must be drained without fail, and after cooling down, drink in small sips. You can use salt or sugar to add flavor.Broth or oatmeal is an excellent absorbing agent.
- Chicken Broth. It is very light, dietary, so it will not put stress on the stomach, and a thin soup with chicken broth will allow the body to get some nutrients to restore it.
- Kvass. Thanks to natural kvass, B vitamins, as well as amino acids and other necessary enzymes, enter the body. As a result, alcohol breakdown products will be removed from the body faster.
- It is also recommended to try to eat pickles, for example, sauerkraut, pickles or tomatoes, or to replenish vitamins in the body and relieve a hangover by eating apples, bananas, grapes.
- Tea with ginger is considered a good way to eliminate the effects of yesterday’s meal in the morning. Brewing tea with this product, adding honey and lemon to it, you can not only improve your well-being, but also save the body from dehydration, which is provoked by alcohol.
In conclusion, it should be said that sometimes you can hear such advice – “drink a glass of vodka or a glass of beer, and everything will pass.” But it is worth saying that this technique is a banal incitement to another binge.And besides, the hangover syndrome the next morning will be much worse, and most importantly, longer. After all, the body will have to recover longer, due to the fact that the amount of alcohol has only been added.
IrinaAuthor of the article
Did you like the article?
Share with your friends:
90,000 How to relieve a hangover? | Sports Science
We all love the New Year, because it is not only a beautiful holiday, but also a long weekend, as well as a great feast.During this time, many of us allow ourselves to relax and have a few glasses of various alcoholic drinks. And, of course, the next day comes a sad time, which is called a hangover. It is to this unpleasant symptom that we devote our New Year’s article.
What causes a hangover?
Pain in the head, in the abdomen, tinnitus are the standard consequences of New Year’s Eve. And many are wondering: what to do in such a situation and how to alleviate these symptoms?
There are several aspects that can lead to a hangover, one of which is dehydration.Alcohol is a diuretic. This means that it naturally deprives the body of water, because it forces it to increase the production of urine. In addition, the nausea that occurs after drinking too much alcohol further dehydrates and also leads to electrolyte imbalances. This combination of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance causes symptoms of hangover, headache, and dizziness. (Swift & Davidson, 1998).
Gastrointestinal disorders are also an unpleasant side effect of alcohol consumption.For example, stomach and intestinal irritation, mucosal inflammation and stool retention. In addition, excessive alcohol consumption is the cause of fatty degeneration of the liver and an increase in gastric acid production. All of these factors lead to abdominal pain and nausea during a hangover (Swift & Davidson, 1998).
An important indirect effect of alcohol is the accumulation of acetaldehyde (toxin). When alcohol is broken down in the liver by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH), acetaldehyde is formed as a by-product, then it is broken down into acetate as a result of combination with glutathione, which contains a large amount of cysteine (amino acids) and acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH), this acetate is excreted from the body with urine.However, when a large amount of alcohol is consumed, the body does not have time to process all the acetaldehyde, and it begins to accumulate, showing its side effects in the form of sweating, rapid heart rate, skin redness, nausea and vomiting.
How to deal with a hangover?
While there is only one surefire way to avoid a hangover – do not drink. And there is one proven cure – time. Symptoms disappear in 8-24 hours.
In fact, at home, it is guaranteed and without complications to remove alcohol – an extremely difficult task, one might say – almost impossible.The only thing that can be done is to carry out prevention and symptomatic therapy just to ease the hangover and feel good, I think everyone needs this.
Do you want to help the project? Disable AdBlock, so we can get income for showing ads.
The first thing to remember before the meal is water. Try to drink as much as possible before, during, and after drinking. As we said earlier, alcohol is a pretty strong diuretic, which means dehydration will be your first enemy on the path to a comfortable morning.
You also need to remember that plain water will not be enough for you, since electrolytes are also excreted with urine, therefore, in theory, next to a glass of alcohol you should have, oddly enough, an isotonic, in which all the necessary electrolytes will already be present and, of course, enough water. Here’s a recipe for you: try to drink 150-250 ml of isotonic for 1 serving of alcohol. This will make you feel much lighter in the morning.
In severe cases of morning hangover, NSAIDs such as aspirin or ibuprofen may be taken.At the same time, you need to be extremely careful with the intake of substances such as Zorex and the like, since in addition to their low efficiency, one can expect an allergic reaction and a negative effect on the liver from them.
Interestingly, studies have been published in the Journal of Natural Medicines regarding relieving hangover symptoms with a mixture of tangerines, ginger and brown sugar. The result was surprisingly positive. The subjects noted an improvement in their condition in comparison with the control group.So this method should be tried already on January 1 for those who could not resist and too violently celebrated the onset of the new year.
So, if you structure the knowledge gained, then you can make up a kind of life hack on how to deal with hangover symptoms.
- Prepare the isotonic bottle in advance, as well as several bottles of water, so that you can immediately have access to it the next day.
- After each portion of alcohol you drink, sing along with isotonic or water, this will make you drink less alcohol by itself, and also help you feel better the next day.
- Prepare a drink in the morning by mixing tangerine juice, ginger and cane sugar. This drink will help improve your well-being.
- Never drink the next day! Firstly, the so-called drunkenness is already a sign of alcoholism and the incorporation of alcohol into the metabolism, and secondly, this way you can dehydrate your body even more. It is best to endure and drink, for example, aspirin.
- Remember that the best hangover cure is not to drink alcohol at all.
Happy New Year everyone! We wish you health and overcoming new sports heights!
Did you know that our Instagram has a lot of unique recovery information, training tips and injury prevention?
How to relieve a hangover and reduce the syndrome in the morning
Many of us have encountered hangover syndrome and tried all possible ways to get rid of it.Sometimes, if the hangover is not severe, our efforts bear the desired results. But if too much alcohol was taken, then no alternative methods and medications will help completely eliminate the symptoms of a hangover. In this case, only one question arises, how to relieve a hangover? In this article, we will describe various ways to relieve hangover symptoms that will help you feel better before your body can deal with alcoholic toxins on its own.
Reasons for a hangover
Hangover syndrome does not always occur, but only when we drink more than our liver can process per unit of time.To understand why a hangover occurs, you need to know what happens to alcohol after it enters the human body:
- As soon as ethanol is absorbed into the bloodstream, a state of intoxication occurs. At the same moment, the liver begins to produce an enzyme that breaks down ethyl alcohol.
- In the process of ethanol processing under the influence of a liver enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase, ethyl alcohol is transformed into an intermediate metabolic product, acetaldehyde.It is this toxic substance that is the culprit of the hangover, since it is poison.
- Next, the liver produces another enzyme (acetaldehydrogenase), which converts acetaldehyde into acetic acid. This substance is harmless to us and after it breaks down into a molecule of water and carbon dioxide, it is excreted from the body.
As you can see, a hangover will occur only when you drink so much that the liver does not have time to produce a second enzyme to process toxic acetaldehyde.It is then that this poison begins to accumulate in the blood, tissues and all cells, causing all the unpleasant symptoms of a hangover.
Signs of a hangover
Since a hangover in the morning, each person may have a different complex of unpleasant symptoms, depending on the amount of alcohol consumed and the characteristics of the body. The most common of them are the following:
- debilitating headache;
- often nausea;
- sometimes vomiting and vomiting;
- some have increased blood pressure;
- tremors of the limbs and the whole body;
- general broken condition;
- dry mouth;
- muscle pain.
Important: do not confuse a hangover with withdrawal symptoms, which occurs only in alcoholics after a long binge.
Ways to reduce the manifestations of withdrawal symptoms
Before telling how you can alleviate the condition with a hangover syndrome, it is worth saying that the best remedy for a hangover is its prevention, that is, reasonable consumption of alcohol.
The following can be recommended as facilitating procedures:
- First you need to try to cleanse the body of toxins and alcohol residues.To this end, it is useful to flush the stomach by drinking 2 liters of liquid and causing vomiting. You can also give an enema. After that, it is better to drink activated charcoal, taking into account your weight.
- Since you are severely dehydrated after drinking alcohol, you need to drink a lot. Plain water, still mineral water, freshly squeezed juices, compotes, berry fruit drinks, herbal teas, green tea and fermented milk drinks are suitable. With the help of a decoction of raisins and rose hips, you can restore the electrolyte and mineral balance in the body.
- A pain reliever tablet such as aspirin or citramone is recommended to relieve headaches.
- The drug Glycine significantly reduces the alcohol load on the nervous system. It improves brain activity, relieves nervous tension, and normalizes sleep.
- Only succinic acid has a direct neutralizing effect on alcoholic toxin – acetaldehyde. It is allowed to drink no more than five tablets per day.
- When your health has returned to normal, you can take a warm bath or a contrast shower, depending on your preferences.Young healthy people are advised to go to the sauna or bath.
- Moderate physical activity, especially walking and jogging in the fresh air, is useful for improving blood circulation, accelerating metabolic processes and faster elimination of alcoholic toxins from the body. However, heavy physical work should be avoided.
- To replenish the loss of vitamins and minerals, good nutrition is useful. To relieve a hangover, you can eat low-fat meat broths, dairy products, fresh fruits and vegetables, light soups, cereals, and drink more fluids.
Attention: in case of a hangover, you must refrain from smoking, drinking alcohol, fatty, spicy and heavy foods.
Traditional methods of alleviating alcohol syndrome
There are effective folk ways to relieve hangover. These methods can be used by those who, for one reason or another, cannot or do not want to take medication.
Below we list the most effective methods:
- Lemon juice is very helpful.To do this, you need to squeeze the juice out of two medium-sized lemons. Then mix it in equal proportions with plain water. Then add honey to taste and drink throughout the day.
- Salted tomato juice with a small pinch of black pepper helps with a hangover.
- Another recipe using tomato juice: you need to make the next chatterbox based on it. We take 100 g of tomato juice and add a raw egg there, as well as one sprig of celery. Next, beat everything in a blender, salt, add ice if desired and drink.This remedy helps due to the fact that tomatoes contain a substance that helps the absorption of ethanol. And cysteine in eggs eliminates general intoxication. Celery effectively fights nausea and vomiting.
- Herbal teas can be used to significantly reduce hangovers. It is enough to prepare a drink both from one of some herbs and from a mixture of them. Useful chamomile, mint, lemon balm, ginger, rose hips.
- To replenish the loss of potassium and magnesium by the body, you need to eat fresh fruits and vegetables.Bananas, kiwi, apples will fill the lack of these nutrients and normalize metabolic processes.
- Everyone knows the healing effect of cabbage and cucumber pickle. It helps restore electrolyte balance in the body and relieve dehydration. Just do not drink too much of it, since excess salt can provoke an increase in edema, which already accompanies any hangover.
- For a quick recovery of strength and normalization of health, it is useful to eat low-fat broths from chicken and beef.You can add boiled egg and herbs to the broth. Light vegetable soups are also helpful.
- If your head hurts, you can rub the ears with your palms intensively. This will help blood flow to the head and relieve the headache.
- To neutralize the remains of alcohol in the body, it is useful to use bee honey. It can be added to tea, plain water, herbal teas, or eaten neat. Honey is very often used in folk recipes for the treatment of alcoholism.
- If your age is not more than 30 years old and you do not have cardiovascular ailments, then the best remedy for relieving hangovers is a bathhouse or sauna.Everyone else, when visiting a bath or sauna with a hangover, needs to be very careful so as not to worsen their well-being.
If you are unable to alleviate a hangover with the help of folk methods and the above recommendations, you can use medication for a hangover:
- Zorex allows you to accelerate the oxidation of alcohol in the body, quickly neutralize alcoholic toxins and protect the liver.To do this, you need to drink 1 tab. in the evening after a feast, and the second should be taken in the morning when symptoms of a hangover appear.
- Plant-based drug DrinkOFF gently and safely relieves hangover symptoms. It contains antioxidants, vitamins and herbal extracts. It can be drunk as a preventative and remedy for a hangover.
- The popular drug Alka-Seltzer has proven itself very well in the fight against hangovers. With aspirin, sodium bicarbonate and citric acid, hangovers are quickly eliminated or reduced.
And remember, so that in the future you do not have to look for new effective ways to get rid of the symptoms of a hangover syndrome, know your dose and always control the amount you drink during a festive feast.