How to help nausea from hangover: 8 Best Hangover Cures for Headache, Nausea, More
What Should You Eat When You’re Hungover? – Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic
It’s always fun to be the life of the party or to be out late celebrating with friends. But if you’re down for the count the next day because you drank too much and feel awful, what are you supposed to do?
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
Registered dietitian Julia Zumpano, RD, LD, says it’s important to control your alcohol intake because drinking too much can cause some serious health consequences. But, if you did take it too far the night before, rest assured there are foods you can eat that can help cure your hangover.
Foods that help with hangovers
Before you reach for that greasy burger, coffee or “hair of the dog” (aka more alcohol), Zumpano suggests the following foods to help you get back on track. While there’s no magic pill for a hangover, these options can help you get back to normal:
- Sports drink/electrolyte-enhanced beverage. The road to hangover recovery starts with good hydration. Since alcohol is a diuretic, it makes you pee more and leads to dehydration. When you have a hangover, you’re already dehydrated and your electrolyte level is low. Consuming a sports drink, coconut water or an electrolyte-enhanced beverage before you go to bed or as soon as you get up can help replace lost electrolytes from drinking. Or just simply focus on drinking water – it will help support your body in recovering from the hangover. (Remember, next time you drink try to have a glass of water between each alcoholic drink.)
- Salmon. Low levels of B6 and B12 vitamins are said to intensify hangovers. Salmon is rich in both B vitamins and can help you get back up to a more comfortable level. It might sound odd, but adding this fish to your diet the day after drinking can help perk you back up, especially because salmon is known to decrease inflammation.
- Mangoes and other fruits. There’s evidence that the natural sugars found in honey and natural fruits can actually help you move the alcohol out of your system faster. Try eating mangos, grapes, oranges, pears and plantains. Watermelon is also another great option since it has such a high water content and it can help you rehydrate.
- ‘Bland’ foods. “This is what we call the ‘BRAT’ diet,” says Zumpano. “Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.” These plain foods are easy for the body to digest and are often recommended when someone is not feeling well, specifically an upset stomach, diarrhea, nausea or having trouble eating or keeping food down. These foods also tend to contain carbohydrates, which can settle an upset stomach and help boost your blood sugar. Bananas are also rich in potassium, which your body needs when it’s low on electrolytes from drinking too much.
- Ginger. Ginger has been found to reduce nausea, so incorporating it into your diet the day after drinking can settle your upset stomach and help you feel better. Reach for dried ginger, ginger tea or try grating ginger into a fresh smoothie.
7 Ways To Combat a Hangover
- Hangovers happen if you drink more alcohol than your body can tolerate. The symptoms include fatigue, poor sleep, nausea, headache, and excessive thirst.
- While there is no magic cure for a hangover, there are some potential remedies that are a low-risk way to minimize your symptoms or make it less likely that you’ll get a hangover.
Drinking too much alcohol can lead to a hangover the next day. While the threshold of what is considered to be “too much alcohol” varies from person to person, there are steps that you can take to lessen the potential for symptoms related to alcohol over-consumption, such as fatigue, nausea, and headaches.
The best way to prevent a hangover is to avoid drinking more alcohol than your body can tolerate. There is no magic hangover “cure,” but there are some remedies that can help alleviate your symptoms.
7 Hangover Remedies to Try
You might have heard suggestions like a late-night fast food run or a trendy remedy like activated charcoal to deal with a hangover. You won’t find those tips on the list, but here are seven science-backed ways to lessen the symptoms of a hangover.
The tasty orange fruit, whether off the tree or from your local grocery store, might offer some hangover protection. Both the flesh and peel of the mango appear to decrease plasma alcohol levels after consumption.
Whether you are enjoying mangoes in a smoothie, on a salad, or diced on their own, snacking on the fruit might feel better if you find yourself waking up with a hangover.
Ginger contains natural antioxidants—many of which are thought to help control the oxidative stress induced by alcohol. It’s also a popular nausea remedy. Since an upset stomach can accompany a hangover, try sipping on ginger tea or chewing on pickled ginger for some tummy support.
Alcohol causes your body to produce more urine, which can cause dehydration. The symptoms of dehydration can include headache, lethargy, and excessive thirst.
Losing water and electrolytes like potassium and sodium through urine can cause an electrolyte imbalance. Staying hydrated (preferably with some electrolytes, such as an oral rehydration solution) helps replenish your body.
Your hydration efforts should actually start before you begin drinking alcohol. Being (and staying) hydrated as you drink is your best bet to preventing dehydration.
Tapping a maple tree will give you a natural liquid called sap that is packed with electrolytes, prebiotics, and antioxidants. Many people boil the sap to make maple syrup, but it’s healthy and delicious to drink on its own pre-boiling (and you can buy it in this form at the store). Having a bit to sip on before you go out might help stave off a hangover.
A 2011 study published in the International Journal of Molecular Medicine found that giving rats maple sap (called “maple water”) 30 minutes before they were given alcohol reduced the rats’ blood concentrations of alcohol compared to the rats who did not consume the water.
While human studies would be necessary to draw conclusions about a relationship between maple water and hangovers, drinking sap is a potential hangover remedy that has little risk. Plus, it’s delicious!
While most of the data is based on small sample sizes or animal subjects, taking red ginseng as you consume alcohol has shown promise for hangover relief.
In one randomized crossover study, researchers investigated the effects of red ginseng on relieving alcohol and hangover symptoms in 25 healthy men. The men who took ginseng had decreased blood alcohol levels and hangover symptoms compared to the controls, suggesting that red ginseng could have a positive effect.
The gorgeous red fruit found on the nopal cactus might have potential hangover-relief powers. Also known as a cactus pear, tuna fruit, or sabras, prickly pears are a sweet fruit that are quick and easy to snack on.
Research has shown that the fruit might reduce symptoms of a hangover, including nausea and dry mouth, by inhibiting inflammation. According to the 2004 study, eating prickly pear might cut hangover severity in half.
Some research has shown that supplements with the amino acid L-Cysteine might offer some hangover relief. According to one small study, people who took 1,200 milligrams of L-Cysteine experienced fewer headaches and less nausea than they typically did during a hangover.
As with many other “hangover remedy” studies, the data from the L-Cysteine study is not extremely strong. The study was also funded by a company that makes L-Cysteine supplements, meaning it could have been biased.
If you do get a hangover, know that the unpleasant symptoms won’t last forever. You can also learn from the experience and take steps to try to prevent a hangover, like staying hydrated, the next time you go out for cocktails or have wine with dinner.
Remember that there is no guaranteed way to cure or prevent a hangover. Also, each person’s alcohol metabolism is different, and more research is needed to determine whether any hangover remedies work. That said, there is little risk associated with enjoying a mango or drinking extra fluids.
If you find that you are experiencing frequent hangovers, consider talking to your healthcare provider about your alcohol use.
What This Means For You
While there’s no magic cure for a hangover and no guaranteed strategy for preventing one, there are some things you can do to lessen the chance of getting a hangover and relieving your symptoms if you do.
Most hangover remedies are not backed by strong scientific evidence, but they are low-risk. The best way to avoid a hangover is to not drink alcohol at all.
12 Ways To Get Over A Hangover Faster
The misery that is a hangover has no cure (aside from not drinking in the first place), but there are many at least marginally effective treatments. As far as we’re concerned, combining forces—advice from several different experts—makes the most sense. So here, we come at the problem of the hangover from several different angles to help you feel better, faster.
Functional medicine physician Robin Berzin, M.D., (who helms the holistic medicine practice Parsley Health, with locations in LA, SF, and NYC) shares the reasons we think hangovers occur in the first place, plus her tips for alleviating them; nutritionist Keri Glassman, M.S., R.D. gives us a morning-after eating plan; and osteopath Vicky Vlachonis created a DIY guide to acupressure points that can mitigate splitting headaches, nausea, and the like. Plus, we’re sharing some favorite preferred rehydration methods. See you at the (liquid IV) bar.
What Causes a Hangover
Scientists and doctors have tried to figure out what exactly causes a hangover—which is more complex than one might suspect. Alcohol’s impact on us appears at least in part to be inflammatory in nature and tied to the chemical effect it has on the brain. (*Fellow science nerds, see the footnote at the bottom of this piece.) Dr. Berzin explains three factors often behind the next-day side effects of a few too many martinis:
1. Dehydration: “Alcohol is a diuretic, which means it increases urine production,” says Berzin. “And if you’re drinking alcohol, that means you aren’t drinking water.”
2. Poor sleep: “Alcohol may initially help you fall asleep, but research shows it causes disruption and inability to reach deep sleep later in the night. We know that sleep is our bodies’ natural reboot. So if we are unable to sleep soundly and our bodies are busy trying to get rid of the alcohol and its byproducts, it can’t do its normal clean-up routine. This may be one reason we feel and look like garbage the next morning.”
3. Toxic build-up: “Your body had to metabolize all that booze. Alcohol is broken down in the liver by alcohol dehydrogenase to acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde is further broken down by acetaldehyde dehydrogenase and glutathione. When drinking large quantities of alcohol, the liver can’t keep up. So the toxic acetaldehyde builds in the blood while the liver tries to make additional glutathione. Elevated levels of acetaldehyde, over time, may lead to oxidative stress, liver damage, and possibly cancer. Genetic variations within the detoxification process can determine how quickly and efficiently you are able to metabolize alcohol which can further cause issues for those who are slow metabolizers.”
Party Do’s & Dont’s
Of course, the surefire way to avoid a hangover altogether is…not drinking too much. (Berzin reminds us that organizations like The American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, and US Department of Health and Human Services recommend that men drink no more than two drinks a day, and that women have no more than one: “That one drink is defined as having about 14 grams of pure alcohol—1. 5 oz of distilled spirits, 5 oz of wine, or 12 oz of beer,” she says.)
Besides limiting your drink count, here’s what else Berzin suggests pre-drinking and at the bar:
1. Hydrate: “Seems overly simple, but this is the best way to avoid a hangover. Alternating your alcoholic beverages with a glass of water not only keeps you hydrated, but also slows down your overall consumption.”
2. Eat: “Having a full meal—with good quality protein and healthy fats—before you start drinking helps slow the absorption of alcohol into the bloodstream.”
3. Pick your poison: “Stick with organic vodka or tequila mixed with soda water and lime. Clear spirits have fewer toxins than darker liquors; and make sure to avoid sugary mixers.”
Foods & Vitamins For Hangovers
Nutritionist Keri Glassman, M.S., R.D. of Nutritious Life (which offers loads of good food and wellness content, along with a course for health practitioners and professionals) has the kind of grounded-in-reality philosophy that’s easy to get behind. Meaning, you can count on Glassman for low-sugar smoothie hacks, simple veggie-focused dinner ideas, gluten-free takes on cookie dough, and a spicy margarita recipe—plus advice about what to eat when you’re…so f%*king hungover:
1. Eggs: “Your liver works in overdrive to neutralize the toxin acetaldehyde using an amino acid called l-cysteine,” says Glassman. “Give your liver a hand by having eggs for breakfast, which are a source of l-cysteine.”
2. Coconut water: “Alcohol, a diuretic, inhibits the pituitary gland from secreting vasopressin (anti-diuretic hormone), which then causes the kidneys to reabsorb less water, and instead excrete it out of the body. This loss of water can also cause an electrolyte imbalance. Dehydration, plus loss of electrolytes, can cause headache, shakiness, fatigue, dizziness, and muscle spasms. Combat dehydration with tons—I mean tons—of fluids. Coconut water supplies potassium, so it both rehydrates you and helps to replenish your electrolyte balance. ”
3. Make your own sport drink: “Go homemade—mix water, fresh-squeezed juice, and a pinch of sea salt (honey optional!).”
4. Bananas: “These are high in the electrolyte potassium, and also a good idea if you’re suffering from an upset stomach. (Alcohol can have an inflammatory effect on your stomach lining and digestive system, which is a common cause of nausea and upset stomach.)”
5. Ginger: “Slice fresh ginger root and add it to your water. Ginger can be effective for nausea and vomiting.”
6. Vitamin B: “B’s may be your BFF. One study showed that supplementing with B6 before, during, and after drinking could help reduce hangover symptoms.” (See below for a vitamin B-spiked electrolyte drink from Liquid I.V.)
Wondering if there’s any nutritional merit to the greasy spoon or hair-of-the-dog tradition? Alas, neither make Glassman’s list. If you wake up thinking of the drive-thru, Berzin says that what you’re really craving is salt and hydration: “Processed food can actually make you feel worse. ” And while no one here is judging a Bloody Mary brunch, technically speaking, Berzin says that drinking to get over a hangover adds to the alcohol metabolism load she describes above: “You are delaying the inevitable hangover and doing more damage to your body.” On that note, Berzin also suggests avoiding painkillers: “Especially acetaminophen, which is also metabolized by the liver, and ibuprofen, which can damage an already fragile intestinal lining.” (As Berzin notes, the combination of alcohol and acetaminophen—the active ingredient in Tylenol—can be devastating to the liver; and accidentally taking too much acetaminophen can be deadly. To read/hear more, see ProPublica‘s in-depth reporting from 2013, done in conjunction with This American Life.)
Self-Healing Accupressure for Hangovers
Osteopath, pain expert, and author of The Body Doesn’t Lie, Vicky Vlachonis has a deep toolbox for curbing pain in many forms. When it comes to hangovers, Vlachonis says the toxic byproducts of drinking can “cause your body to take a beating. ” She hones in on four acupressure points that she’s found to provide relief:
1. For your headache: Vlachonis explains that there is a pressure point on your hand, in the fleshy area between the pointer finger and thumb, known as LI 4 in acupuncture. “It’s the gate to the large intestine, and applying pressure to it can help with headaches, as well as with constipation, which sometimes accompanies a hangover.” To begin, rest your left hand on a table, making an L-shape with your pointer finger and thumb. With your opposite thumb, apply pressure and massage between the web of your thumb and pointer finger, in small circular motions. The trigger point, says Vlachonis, is up where you feel your pointer finger bone. Vlachonis recommends applying pressure for 10-20 seconds at a time, on each hand.
2. To stem nausea and overheating: Vlachonis calls this next acupressure move “opening the tap.” The idea, as Vlachonis explains, is to “move energy away from the mind and help open the stomach meridian, supporting oxygen and blood flow. ” So, bend your right knee to ninety degrees, and with your right index finger, feel the outside bone by your knee (the fibula). Tracing below your kneecap, move your finger about an inch inward, and you’ll feel a dip (at the proximal tibiofibular joint). Press into this dip with your right index and middle fingers. Vlachonis says that you can sometimes feel your pulse at this spot. Again, she suggests applying pressure for 10-20 seconds at a time, and doing a few times on both knees.
3. Calming mind and body: The “gallbladder point,” explains Vlachonis, is between the fourth and fifth toes, a few fingers up from the fifth toe, at the tendon when you flex the pinky toe. “The gallbladder point is connected to decision-making. Sometimes, after a night of drinking, some self-doubt, negative self-talk, and/or paranoia can set in with a hangover—did I say the wrong thing last night?” To help ease the mind chatter, Vlachonis says to put pressure, and focus, on this spot (same time guidelines as above). “This point is also connected to your shoulder,” Vlachonis continues, “so applying pressure here can help with discomfort around the shoulder and neck as well.”
For more acupressure salves, see Vlachonis’s book, which has a step-by-step program for pain relief, including hangovers and headaches.
Vlachonis is a big fan of the comforting power of baths in general—over drinking your emotions: “Often when people are going through a difficult or stressful time, they turn to alcohol to numb the pain. I always remind my patients that this will only lead to double the pain, more anger, frustration, and sadness the next day. If you’re drinking to numb emotions, opt out for an anti-inflammatory bath, or a chat with a loved one instead. If you’re drinking to celebrate, enjoy in moderation.”
* Interesting research in this space comes from Jing Liang, M.D., Ph.D., an Adjunct Professor in USC’s Titus Family Department of Clinical Pharmacy and UCLA neuroscientist, Richard Olsen, Ph. D., who have studied receptors in the brain that the neurotransmitter GABA sticks to that are also sensitive to ethanol—i.e. alcohol. Liang identified a purified extract from the Chinese herb Hovenia, which goes by the chemical name dihydromyricetin, or DHM, that she explains acts on this same receptor, and which was shown to block the effects of ethanol in rats. Varied forms are being packaged into hangover-marketed supplements and some humans say it helps. Liang is now parlaying this work into Alzheimer’s research—exploring DMH as a possible AD medication.
The views expressed in this article intend to highlight alternative studies and induce conversation. They are the views of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of goop, and are for informational purposes only, even if and to the extent that this article features the advice of physicians and medical practitioners. This article is not, nor is it intended to be, a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and should never be relied upon for specific medical advice.
5 tips to handle hangover nausea – southcoasttoday.com
(BPT) – Party a little too hearty last night? Chances are, you may have woken up with some of the classic symptoms of a hangover: headache, sensitivity to light and noise, fatigue, thirst, irritability and worst of all — nausea.
Hangovers can make it pretty difficult to function the next day. According to the National Institutes of Health, how you feel after over-imbibing in alcohol can vary a great deal from person to person, and depends on how much you drank the night before. But face it, a hangover can make you feel miserable — and eager to find relief, fast.
Unfortunately, there are also a lot of myths out there about what helps you feel better when you’ve got a hangover, and especially how to relieve that most unpleasant symptom of nausea.
Here are some tried and true tips for preventing and coping with hangover nausea.
1. Know your limits
If you’ve had a hangover before, you may have an idea how much you can drink without making yourself sick the next day. However, over-imbibing can impair your judgment — and memory — when it comes to drinking. The National Institutes of Health website warns that any time you drink to the point of intoxication, you risk developing a hangover.
The UK’s National Health Service recommends eating foods containing carbohydrates (pasta or rice) and fats (oils, butter) before drinking, as they can help slow your body’s absorption of alcohol. And the Mayo Clinic reports that lighter-colored alcoholic beverages are somewhat less likely to produce hangover symptoms — though the amount consumed is the most important factor.
2. Stay hydrated
One tactic recommended by WebMD for avoiding over-drinking is to alternate alcoholic drinks with glasses of water. Not only does that slow down your alcohol consumption, it also helps prevent the dehydrating effects of drinking too much — which can also contribute to feeling nauseated the next day.
If you wake up with nausea after a night of drinking, sipping slowly on cold water or fizzy drinks like clear soda or ginger ale can help you rehydrate and settle your stomach a little.
3. Use acupressure wrist bands
Specially designed wrist bands from Sea-Band Nausea Relief stimulate an exact acupressure point by a plastic stud attached to the inside of the band. This specific acupressure point in the wrist is called the P6 (or Nei Guan in Chinese medicine), which can help relieve nausea and upset stomach when pressure is applied. Just adjust the soft and comfortable wrist band to fit snugly on your wrist to help relieve nausea within minutes.
“Acupressure helps to relieve nausea and upset stomach with no need for medications, which can sometimes make you feel worse or harm your liver,” said family practitioner Dr. Ian Cracknell. “Sea-Bands are an effective, low-cost and drug-free alternative that I often recommend to my patients. They are clinically proven to reduce nausea in patients caused by things like motion sickness, migraines, morning sickness and hangovers.”
Approaching the holidays, it’s a great idea to stock up on re-usable Sea-Bands for yourself, and as great stocking stuffers! Sea-Band wrist bands are available in pharmacies everywhere. To learn more about Sea-Bands and how they work, visit Sea-Band.com/FAQs.
4. Don’t try the “hair of the dog”
The old expression “hair of the dog that bit you” refers to the idea that having more alcohol the morning after can make you feel better. In fact, drinking more the next day is not likely to help.
Because alcohol irritates the stomach lining and increases the release of acid, the National Institutes of Health warns that drinking more the next morning is only likely to increase your stomach irritation and feelings of nausea.
5. Eat lightly
To further aid your stomach in its hangover recovery, eating lightly can help you feel better. Sipping on soup or broth, or nibbling on crackers, can help reduce those unpleasant feelings of nausea.
The upshot is, to completely avoid the risk of developing a hangover, you would need to avoid alcohol altogether. But if you do drink, limiting your alcohol intake to no more than one or two drinks (depending on the amount of alcohol in each drink) and not drinking on an empty stomach can help to some degree. Ultimately, the best cure for hangover nausea (and other unpleasant symptoms) is time.
The best hangover remedies, according to doctors
You’re at happy hour with your friends, and although you know you’ll regret it, you do it anyway: You overindulge. “Just one more round” turns into two, then three. The next morning, you wake up with a throbbing headache, a queasy stomach, and a mouth as hot and dry as a furnace. And you have to go to work, so this isn’t one of those scenarios where you can nurse your nausea with ginger ale, cheeseburgers, and Netflix all day. You need a hangover remedy that will minimize your losses, quick.
The problem is, even though humans have been over-imbibing for millennia, “we still don’t know exactly what causes a hangover,” making it hard to know how to treat one, says Stephen Thornton, medical director for the University of Kansas Health System Poison Control Center.
What we do know is that a hangover involves dehydration, changes in hormone levels, inflammation, blood pressure, and other body functions, resulting in symptoms such as headache, fatigue, nausea, and anxiety, Timothy Fong, a physician who sees patients at the UCLA Addiction Medicine Clinic, tells Mic. “Everyone experiences them a little differently.” The number of drinks it takes to get a hangover also varies from person to person. Some (lucky) people don’t get hangovers at all.
Although hangover symptoms usually feel especially shitty the morning after a night of heavy drinking, Fong notes that they can appear immediately afterward, and last one to two days. In contrast, alcohol withdrawal often starts two days after a prolonged period (days or weeks) of heavy drinking. (If your hangover doesn’t lift in about two days, seek medical help, since you be may be experiencing alcohol withdrawal, which can be life-threatening.)
While there’s still a lot we don’t know about hangovers, and we don’t yet have a cure, a few remedies do seem to alleviate certain symptoms, Fong says. Trying them the next time you’re hungover should make you feel a little less terrible.
Alcohol can cause your body to lose water through vomiting and frequent urination, which can explain why your head hurts, or your heart won’t stop racing, says Petros Levounis, a chair and professor at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School department of psychiatry who’s written and lectured on addiction. To rehydrate and ease these symptoms, fill up on water, or, better yet, drinks that contain sugar and electrolytes, since they more closely mimic the composition of the fluids in your body. But if these aren’t readily available, “you should absolutely drink water,” Levounis says.
A night of heavy drinking “is really hard on the body,” Fong says. “If you drink more than your body is used to handling, it’s going to work on overdrive to metabolize the alcohol.” This, in turn, can result in changes in proteins responsible for inflammation and stress. On top of that, your muscles might ache from walking in heels or dancing all night, or you might be mentally exhausted from having to interact with so many people.
In that sense, a hangover is a little like the soreness you feel after going hard at the gym. It’s “basically physical and psychological soreness,” Fong says. “The best way to reduce that is sleep,” which restores all normal body functioning. If sleeping isn’t an option, or you can’t sleep, unplug, turn off the lights, and chill in bed. “Just really, really take it easy,” Levounis says.
Take over-the-counter pain meds
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin or Motrin can quell the inflammation that heavy drinking can trigger, and underlies symptoms like headache and fatigue.
Take heartburn medication
Alcohol can also cause your stomach to become inflamed. If you have an upset stomach, heartburn medication, like Pepcid, “helps cool [it] down,” Fong says.
Maarten Wouters/DigitalVision/Getty Images
Re-up on vitamins
While booze can make you feel full, it doesn’t have the vitamins or other nutrients found in actual food. Yet most people don’t eat enough before they drink, and hard partying can use up what little nutrients they did consume. “Your body is really depleted of vitamins and minerals really quickly, and you need to get them back,” Fong says. Eat a nutritious meal or smoothie that’s gentle on your stomach (not spicy or greasy) Some studies also suggest vitamin B6 could help soothe hangover symptoms, Fong notes.
Don’t try to cure yourself with more alcohol
Hair of the dog, or drinking alcohol to rid yourself of a hangover, may bring temporary relief —but will ultimately leave you with a bigger, longer-lasting hangover, Levounis says.
Although an oft-recommended remedy, coffee “will probably make things a little worse,” Levounis says. Like alcohol, caffeine is a diuretic, which means it makes you pee more, i.e., lose more water. When you’re dehydrated after a night of drinking, that’s the last thing you want.
Drink thin soup
It’s pretty much a myth that a heavy meal will cure a hangover; in fact, it could make you feel even more nauseated, Levounis says. He suggests a thin soup (think miso or chicken soup), which will be easier on your stomach and can help with rehydration.
The stress of hustling through a busy day while hungover could worsen your symptoms, Fong says. Take the day off if you can, or at least list what tasks you need to accomplish, which may make you feel less overwhelmed. Deep breathing, meditation, and yoga can also help you relax, according to the Mayo Clinic.
The best-case scenario would be to not overindulge in the first place, but you’re human, and it may be unreasonable to expect yourself to never slip up. Try viewing a hangover as your body warning you to take better care of it, Fong says, not to swear off drinking for good. Basically, your body is saying, “For whatever reason, when alcohol and your body interact in the right circumstances, it creates this state that’s really difficult to deal with.”
This Is Your Body On A Hangover
There’s no denying it: Waking up with a hangover can be awful. The intense headache coupled with random waves of nausea is usually enough to make you consider giving up drinking forever (or at least until next weekend).
But there’s more to it than just feeling like crap. Your body and brain are working overtime to help you recover from those beverages.
Curious what’s actually happening internally the day after drinking? Below, experts break it down.
Your body is working to flush out toxins.
According to Kate Denniston, a licensed naturopathic doctor based in Los Angeles and the founder of Los Angeles Integrative Health, the cause of a hangover is not actually the alcohol itself. Rather, it’s the byproducts of the alcohol metabolizing that cause hangover symptoms, she said.
As your body breaks down your favorite cocktails, it creates a toxin called acetaldehyde. Your body works hard to flush out that toxin ― which is also a carcinogen, by the way ― leading to some pretty painful symptoms.
Your kidneys and liver are forced to do some major work.
VLG via Getty Images
In an attempt to remove acetaldehyde from the body, your kidneys will really kick into gear. This leads to increased urination, which can quickly lead to dehydration and extreme thirst, even head pain and dizziness.
In other words, “a hangover is essentially the signs and symptoms of dehydration and [a result] of the body trying to rid itself of a toxin — a process which challenges the liver and kidneys,” said Ralph E. Holsworth, a board-certified osteopathic physician at Southeast Colorado Hospital in Springfield, Colorado.
Your stomach lining is all kinds of irritated.
You can thank this for all that post-drinking nausea and, er, excess bathroom trips.
“Alcohol also irritates the stomach lining and slows the stomach from emptying, which causes nausea, vomiting, and stomach cramps,” said Lantie Jorandby, chief medical officer of Lakeview Health, a dual diagnosis and addiction treatment center in Jacksonville, Florida.
You may experience anxiety.
Studies have shown that alcohol can lead to increased anxiety in some people. One study published in 2012 found that 7.4% of those experiencing a hangover had anxiety as a post-drinking symptom. Other research suggests heavy drinking “lowers mood, disrupts sleep, increases anxiety” and produces “physical” and “emotional” symptoms the morning after. Finally, a study published in 2015 found many social drinkers may feel emotions like shame, guilt and embarrassment following a drinking period.
You have inflammation.
blackCAT via Getty Images
Jorandby said alcohol can trigger inflammation in the body, which can also lead to those symptoms like headaches. Anti-inflammatories can offer some help with this, but you should be mindful of which ones. Avoid acetaminophen, AKA Tylenol.
“Tylenol is already toxic to the liver at certain doses, and if you add this to residual alcohol in the body it can be dangerous,” Jorandby said.
As you get older, your body takes longer to process all this because of fewer available resources.
We may age like a fine wine in all ways but hangovers.
As we get older, our bodies are less prepared to deal with drunken shenanigans, which leaves us having a harder time dealing with hangovers starting in our late 20s. While the reason for this isn’t completely understood, some believe it has to do with the speed in which our bodies are able to process the things we consume.
“Hangovers get worse as we age because every time we drink, we deplete vital resources on our body that help break down and process alcohol,” said Christopher Roselle, a fourth-year Ph. D. candidate and cellular expert at the University of Pennsylvania, who is studying cancer immunology.
“Basically, every time we drink we use ammo to defend against the toxins created by alcohol, and over time, we have less and less ammo,” Roselle said. “Therefore, as we age, our defenses are weakened and our bodies become less and less capable of defending against hangovers.”
In this case, the ammo being referred to would be antioxidants, enzymes and amino acids found in your liver, which are necessary for metabolizing alcohol.
“As we age, we secrete lower concentrations of liver enzymes, which draws out the process and lengthens the duration of the hangover,” added Leigh Renwick, a registered dietician at Copeman Healthcare Centre in Vancouver.
How To Ease The Hangover Pain
monkeybusinessimages via Getty Images
If you’re dealing with the pain of a hangover, there are a few ways to curb it and some tips to keep in mind for the future. Follow this helpful wisdom:
First, watch what you drink.
The obvious answer here is to be mindful of how much alcohol you consume in the future. Social drinking can turn into binge drinking way quicker than most realize. The best way to prevent a hangover is to keep tabs on how much alcohol you consume. (And if you can’t control it, there are resources that can help. It’s OK to reach out for treatment or assistance ― you deserve to live a happy, healthy life.)
Stick to certain types of alcohol when you do drink.
“Avoid darker-colored alcoholic drinks, including whiskey and red wines. Lighter drinks such as gin and vodka have fewer [alcohol components like] congeners or methanol metabolites, which tend to exacerbate hangover symptoms,” Jorandby said.
You should also consider “avoiding sugary drinks or cocktails, which may cause rebound low blood sugars and irritate the stomach, leading to a worse hangover,” Renwick added.
Chug h3O, maybe even more than you think you need.
Since dehydration plays such a major role here, most experts will agree that the best way to reduce the likelihood of a hangover is to drink water in order to stay hydrated and dilute the level of alcohol in your blood.
Marissa Meshulam, a New York-based registered dietitian nutritionist, recommended drinking water between drinks.
“Do yourself a favor and stay hydrated. Ever notice every bar gives you a glass of water with your drink? Take advantage and try to go one-to-one on alcohol and water. Your head will thank you later,” she said.
Meshulam also suggested having a “balanced meal with protein, fat and high-fiber carbohydrates” before going out to drink.
Denniston recommended packing in nutrient-dense foods as well. “Try foods rich in flavonoids like berries, parsley, citrus and sweet potatoes,” she said.
Try a tiny bit of caffeine.
“Caffeine doesn’t cure a hangover, but will help you be more alert and help clear brain fog. Be careful not to over do caffeine as it can dehydrate you as well,” Jorandby said. (In other words, don’t use coffee to replace the water you should also be drinking.)
Stay far away from the hair of the dog.
Sorry, but that Bloody Mary isn’t your cure. It’s not going to make your symptoms better in the moment, and might fuel a more dangerous scenario in the long term.
“Don’t reach for more alcohol in order to get rid of the hangover,” Jorandby said. “It will become a vicious cycle … and could lead to addiction.”
Need help with substance abuse or mental health issues? In the U.S., call 800-662-HELP (4357) for the SAMHSA National Helpline.
How to Deal With a Hangover at Work
While having a hangover is never pleasant, it’s a heck of a lot easier to stomach (pun intended!) on the weekend when your biggest task is deciding what to watch on Netflix. You can lie in bed all day, remote in hand, thirst-quenching Gatorade by your side, a greasy meal just a short drive (in sweats) away.
Having a hangover at work, however, is a whole other story. Yes, we all know it’s best practice to avoid drinking to the point that you can’t escape a hangover—but in the event that you find yourself sluggish and slow, headachy and drowsy, nauseous and irritable, there are some cheap and easy remedies at your disposal.
And today they’re brought to you by our smart and resourceful crew here at The Muse, where we understand the importance of hydration, carbs, and ibuprofen and aren’t afraid to throw something new into the mix either—think headstands, mayonnaise, and coconut oil. (Please note that these tips are not backed by science but simply by experience.)
Here’s how some of us are dealing with this festive time of year—and those morning-after regrets.
Chex Mix and chocolate milk; I’d swear my life on it.
Martha, Account Executive
I chug lukewarm water. And I use essential oils on pulse points—peppermint to reduce nausea and lavender for calming. Works wonders for me!
Allie, Social Media Manager
Cranberry ginger ale and French fries. Always French fries.
Sara, Senior Project Manager, Client Services
In addition to drinking a glass of water (or two) before sleeping after a party night, take a multivitamin. Excess urination from drinking depletes your body not just of water but also of urine-soluble vitamins. That’s the reasoning anyway—I’m not sure if there are solid results behind this, but from experience, I think this is a big help. This is not a scientific fact though!
Pedialyte and aspirin before going to bed.
Jena, Account Executive
If I’m really hungover and struggling, I’ll go to my gym, take a dip in the hot tub, chill in the steam room (to sweat all the alcohol out), and start the day. There’s no better cure for a hangover.
Shlomo, Full-Stack Engineer
On ‘not-feeling-super-hot-this-morning’ days, I always wear a dress. People are always like, ‘You look so nice today!’ and I’m like, ‘Thanks, I might be dying.’
Rebecca, Account Manager
Bagel, water, shower, Advil, and a lot of willpower. I remind myself that I love my job and have worked too hard to mess it all up now.
Chug two big glasses of cold water with lemon then, if possible, do a three-minute headstand to get the blood flowing. Took that tip from Kerouac in Dharma Bums.
Daniel, Account Executive
My morning usually starts with drinking every liquid within reach—water, juice, Gatorade, coffee, Pedialyte! I do this on repeat all day. I also assume being hungover automatically means you’re allowed to eat all the crap and carbs you want—bagels, sandwiches, pizza, pizza, pizza, and pizza.
Allison, Senior Account Executive
Growing up in a Russian family, I was always told to coat your stomach before going out drinking with something greasy (usually a ‘salad’ covered with mayonnaise or sour cream), but a cheeseburger would work, too. While taking numerous shots of vodka, you should always take a bite of a pickle, piece of meat, or deeply inhale a slice of bread. If you ever start feeling nauseated, sip on some pickle juice (pickle back shots, anyone?).
Yanina, Senior Project Manager, Client Services
Gatorade. Yellow preferred, but blue will do. Before bed if possible, if not first thing in the morning. Half-water, half-yellow Gatorade over ice. Then, all the carbs or grease I can get my hands on for breakfast and lunch. And a fountain Diet Coke to wash it all down.
Danielle, Manager, Client Project Management
I’ve learned over the years that, for me, the secret is to be just tired and not sick. If I’m out pretty late and have had a fair amount [to drink], I’ll force myself to stay up a bit later and sober up before actually hitting the sack. One liter of water and a sleeve of saltines (or Goldfish) before bed is my go-to hangover prevention kit. Passing out at 1 AM drunk versus going to sleep at 2:30 AM in a better state is a much better move! I can make it through a day a bit sleepy, but being too hungover makes it a total waste.
Jacob, Lead Designer
For me it’s the classics: a lot of water, Advil, and coffee (but not on an empty stomach!). While some people suggest eating greasy foods, I actually steer away from that—eating a huge unhealthy breakfast makes me feel more sluggish and gross. I suggest something like eggs and a piece of whole wheat toast to give you a nice boost of protein and energy. Then you just need to stay hydrated, try to avoid talking to people, and bide your time until you can go snuggle in bed at home.
Amanda, Talent Acquisition Coordinator
My secret weapon is Pedialyte. You may think it’s only for children recovering from a stomach illness. But guess what? The ‘kid-approved’ drink is also the ideal hangover cure. They now sell it in packets that you can just add to water. It gives you all the electrolytes you need to make it through the day.
Dara, Account Executive
If I’m badly hungover, there’s little I can do about it apart from the standard aspirin, a lot of water, and junk food (although I try to eat healthy despite the burger cravings). What works best for me is being conscious of how much I’m drinking the night before—I aim to drink a glass of water regularly throughout the night and then a bottle of Gatorade before I sleep.
Chatu, Account Executive
I carbo-load (bagels on bagels) to soak up as much alcohol as possible! Then, copious amounts of water, a teaspoon of coconut oil in my coffee, and for the exceptionally bad hangovers, Berocca (which is like a cross between Alka-Seltzer and Emergen-C).
Jeffry, Account Executive
Drink three glasses of water before going to bed! Coconut water and bananas are your allies—replenish the potassium the booze drained from your system!
Elysia, Enterprise Account Manager
I don’t know if this is advice on how to deal with it, but one piece of advice I follow that was handed down from a manager is this: ‘When you’re out with co-workers and it’s visible [that you’ve had a lot to drink], you should have the goal to be the first one in the office the next day. Champions play hurt!’
Mark, Head of Sales—West
As for me, well, living in a city with a plethora of food trucks, I’d have to say that I’m a fan of street meat. Also, because I usually think I look as gross as I feel, I tend to wear all black and make myself as presentable as possible. If no one knows how badly I’m struggling, then maybe I can push through.
Hopefully, if you find yourself feeling not-so-hot (perhaps the morning after your company holiday party), you’ll find comfort in one of these non-expert pieces of well-intentioned advice. Cheers!
How to get rid of nausea from a hangover – fight dehydration + video
1 Why do you feel nauseous?
Hangover syndrome is a consequence of severe intoxication with alcohol processing products, and nausea is a natural reaction to any poisoning. Sick with a hangover because the digestive system is malfunctioning, and what has entered the body is not absorbed, and it is necessary to get rid of it as soon as possible. The body perceives the received alcohol as a poison, but the amount of alcohol is individual for each.For someone to develop a hangover, it will be enough to drink a glass of wine, but for someone a liter of moonshine is not the limit.
We recommend that you familiarize yourself
This is explained by the fact that in the human body the amount of enzymes that digest alcohol is different. It is with this that the fact is connected that many people get nausea after the first glass of alcohol, and others are not familiar with such sensations.
However, in the case when an excessive amount of alcohol is drunk, regardless of the work of enzymes, a person will experience a hangover syndrome, the main symptoms of which are vomiting and nausea.This can be triggered by the consumption of alcohol on an empty stomach; in this case, the received alcohol irritates the gastric mucosa. If your health is not all right, and you suffer from gastritis or pancreatitis, then the question of what to do when you feel sick will always bother you, even after a drop of alcohol. That is why it is very important to listen to your body and drink in moderation.
2 How to help the body survive the morning with a hangover?
If, when drinking alcohol or having a hangover, nausea appears, while quite often there is no vomiting, you should immediately cleanse the body. In this case, vomiting can be deliberately caused by all known methods (2 fingers in the mouth), or by drinking a glass of warm water. But there is an easier way to get rid of hangover signs – sorbents (for example, activated carbon) . Since drinking alcohol causes severe dehydration, plenty of fluids (mineral water, juices, dairy products) are an excellent way to combat hangover symptoms.
To replenish the balance of substances, we recommend drinking a liquid with the addition of vitamin C (for example, weak tea with a slice of lemon, fresh orange juice, fruit drink).It is possible to normalize the water-salt balance using the traditional means – brine. As a rule, to get rid of a hangover syndrome and nausea, each adult has its own proven methods. Fruit and vegetable juices can help; apple, pomegranate, and orange juices will be especially effective in this case. They contain fructose, which neutralizes the breakdown products of alcohol and improves the general condition after a stormy party. Honey can have a similar effect on the body with a hangover; a few spoons of this miraculous product will help restore strength.
Pickle from hangover syndrome
If the nausea has passed, pharmacy preparations will help relieve headaches, tremors and other negative symptoms of excessive drinking. We strongly do not recommend making strong tea or coffee in the morning, such drinks can provoke an increase in pressure and cause nausea again. After the feeling of nausea has passed, we recommend making herbal tea to quench your thirst. A proven way to get rid of hangover and nausea symptoms is water with the addition of 5-6 drops of ammonia.The main advice is to drink more.
If in the morning you woke up with clear signs of a hangover, and nausea and dizziness do not leave you, try to eat “through I do not want”. Of course, breakfast in this case should be light, for example, chicken broth or light salad can give strength. An excellent option to relieve hangover syndrome would be a glass of milk with the addition of castor oil. A salad with sauerkraut or a glass of kvass can help normalize the amount of minerals.
3 If nothing helps with alcohol intoxication …
What to do if the urge to vomit and nausea does not stop? If you feel worse, and none of the above methods have helped to get rid of nausea, seek medical help. Those who have gone too far with alcohol the day before may experience not only nausea, but also vomiting in the morning.
Medical aid for hangover nausea
At first, everything that you ate the day before will come out, and then bile will come out.This suggests that the state of the body is improving, and the load on the liver decreases. When the gallbladder contracts, bile enters the duodenum, thereby reducing the load on the pancreas. When bile leaves the body a couple of times along with vomit, the nausea will pass. To avoid nausea, you should prepare in advance for drinking strong drinks.
Hangover from alcohol – how to quickly remove symptoms at home
Did you feel bad the next day after drinking or the same night? The hangover begins after the blood alcohol level begins to drop.According to some experts, the worst symptoms occur when this level reaches zero.
Some studies indicate that hangovers are more likely to occur in those people who consume light or moderate alcoholic beverages – wine, beer, cocktails, according to the Harvard Medical School.
To the topic All about a hangover: symptoms, causes and how to fight
However, there are several opposite studies showing that people with alcoholism have the worst hangover symptoms.And their alcohol dependence arises from the fact that they fall into a vicious circle – they drink to relieve symptoms.
Hangover – symptoms:
- Unbearable throbbing headache;
- Dry mouth, heartburn, thirst;
- Palpitations, heart rhythm disturbances;
- Increased excretion of urine, stool disturbance, diarrhea;
- Sharp mental perception of the environment, trembling of the limbs and the whole body, irritability;
- Eye redness, sensitivity to light and noise, loss of appetite;
- Muscle pain;
- Depression can cover the so-called “adrenaline anguish” – a feeling of guilt, a feeling that the day before he did something inappropriate and wrong.
How to relieve a hangover / Photo wworld.com.ua
How to get rid of a hangover and nausea after alcohol at home
- The most common method of dealing with hangover symptoms is one or two drinks. However, doctors and experts strongly advise against this method, because it can lead to alcoholism.
- During a hangover, it is advised to drink plenty of fluids. Alcohol suppresses the release of vasopressin, a hormone that lowers urine levels.As a result, a person urinates frequently, which leads to excessive loss of body fluids. If the hangover is accompanied by diarrhea, sweating, or vomiting, then this further provokes dehydration. Therefore, even if you are nauseous and not thirsty, even a few sips of water can help.
- Alcohol can lower blood sugar levels, so in theory, fatigue and headaches could be caused by a lack of carbohydrates. Moreover, given the fact that some people forget to eat and eat before a feast.If you feel hungover, eat. This will allow you to recover faster.
- Aspirin, ibuprofen, and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can help with headaches and general malaise. However, consider that in excessive doses, NSAIDs can irritate the stomach, which is already affected by alcohol. Don’t take acetaminophen (paracetamol). If alcohol is still retained in the body, it can increase the toxic effect of acetaminophen on the liver.
- Try some coffee or tea.Caffeine may not have any anti-hangover properties, but it may provide some energy. However, keep in mind that coffee is diuretic and can increase dehydration.
- In case of nausea, try drinking regular activated charcoal (5-7 tablets) or something from absorbents such as Enterosgel or Atoxil).
Hangover – Alkoinfo.ee
One of the causes of a hangover, that is, alcohol withdrawal syndrome, is the substance acetaldehyde, which is formed in the body as a result of the conversion of ethanol.
A hangover signals that the body is fighting the poison – it is, in fact, a mild form of alcohol poisoning.
Symptoms of a hangover appear when the blood alcohol content begins to drop to a natural level for the body, close to zero.
Why does a hangover occur?
- Drinking alcohol increases the flow of urine and causes fluid loss. Drinking alcohol is often associated with sweating, vomiting and diarrhea, which in turn removes water and electrolytes from the body.Loss of fluid leads to thirst, weakness, and dizziness.
- Alcohol irritates the stomach and intestines. The resulting inflammation can lead to abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting.
- Alcohol also depletes the body’s reserves of vitamins and minerals and lowers blood sugar levels, which in turn causes fatigue, weakness and mood swings.
- Acetaldehyde from the breakdown of alcohol as an intermediate product can accelerate heart rate and heart palpitations, as well as sweating, nausea and vomiting.
- Alcohol can, of course, induce deep sleep, although in fact, excessive use eliminates the first phases of sleep, which should precede deep sleep. In addition, REM sleep is shortened. In the phase of REM sleep, among other things, there is a consolidation of the learned, the ordering of thoughts and memories, and if it is present, a person after waking up feels fresh and rested. Therefore, a person with a hangover feels tired, not slept.
- Although no definitive explanation has been found for hangover headaches, it has been linked to abnormalities in brain chemistry and hormone function, as well as vasodilation.
How to prevent a hangover?
The less you drink, the less likely you are to have a hangover. The best way to completely avoid a hangover is to not drink at all. Other methods do not give any guarantees that there will be no torment the next day.
When drinking, never overstep low-risk boundaries. Alcocalculator will help you to keep track of what you drink. Check out tips on how to keep in moderation while drinking alcohol at home or outside.
Be sure to eat your fill before drinking.Then alcohol will be absorbed more slowly and you will become less drunk.
In order to feel better the next day, it is important to drink enough water in addition to alcohol. Drinking water will help you drink less alcohol and will help reduce fluid loss. Drink a few large glasses of water before bed.
Beverages with more impurities, usually dark in color, such as red wine, brandy and port, cause more severe hangovers.
Do not mix different types of drinks. This irritates the stomach and guarantees future torment.
How to relieve a hangover?
- To compensate for lost fluids, drink plenty of fluids, preferably still drinks. Fresh juice will help replace lost vitamins.
- If you really need it, you can take a pain reliever, and in case of digestive problems – drugs that lower the acidity of the stomach. Over-the-counter pharmacies have a powder that is taken dissolved in water to replenish electrolytes and body fluids.
- Eat something: For example, bananas and kiwi can help fight the loss of potassium that accompanies fluid loss.
- Don’t get drunk – it will only delay the problems. Take a vacation from alcohol. Craving a drink in the morning to ease a hangover means that you have withdrawal symptoms, which may indicate excessive drinking or an alcohol-related disorder (abuse or dependence).
- Take a multivitamin to compensate for the substances that the body needs lost through alcohol consumption.
Ten Hangover Myths
1. The cause of the hangover is dehydration
Dehydration is one of the causes of a hangover, but far from the only one. In fact, with each unit of alcohol from the body, in addition to the amount drunk, an additional 100 ml of liquid is excreted. For example, if you drink five beers, your body loses another liter of fluid.
However, will two liters of water save you from a hangover? Obviously not. Overlapping symptoms of dehydration and hangover are thirst, weakness, and headache.Have you ever had such a hangover that you couldn’t eat and spent the whole day kneeling in front of the toilet? Daylight is deadly harsh, and it is almost impossible to express at least one thought coherently? These symptoms are not associated with dehydration, but with the toxic effects of alcohol.
2. Coffee or a cold shower helps with hangovers
You went overboard a little last night. In the morning, you put coffee on the brew and jump into a cold shower to cheer up. Both may cheer you up a little, but they won’t cure a hangover.In fact, coffee can increase it because it also removes fluid from the body. So replace your coffee with water – and especially if you’ve been vomiting, causing you to lose even more fluid.
3. Helps with the soybeans
Morning drink is believed to ease a hangover. But this is not true. The hangover begins to form as the blood alcohol level decreases, and the symptoms are greatest when the blood alcohol level approaches zero.By getting drunk you are simply delaying the hangover. At some point, you will have to sober up, willy-nilly, and the hangover will come. Instead of alcohol, drink water or a sports drink to restore fluid, electrolyte and vitamin levels.
Morning drink is often a signal of serious danger that you may have problems due to excessive alcohol consumption. It is also one of the symptoms of alcohol addiction.
4. Eating at the end of the party relieves hangovers
If only it were! It would be great if, after a wild booze, you could eat a couple of large hamburgers and a bowl of fries – and wake up the next morning perfectly fine. In fact, this is not the case.
Food can undoubtedly help prevent a hangover, but you need to eat before drinking alcohol. Fatty foods that are slow to digest are the best choices. If you drink alcohol on a full stomach, it will be absorbed more slowly into the bloodstream, and your hangover will be a little easier the next day.
5. Hangovers only happen if you drink a lot
Binge drinking means drinking a lot of alcohol at one time for the purpose of intoxication and guarantees a morning hangover. At the same time, in order to earn a hangover, it is not necessary to get drunk every time, for some, just one portion is enough for this. Your weight and gender, among other things, affect the occurrence of a hangover. In addition, hangovers are more likely to occur in people, such as those with migraines or those taking medications that affect liver enzymes.
6. Beer and wine are better than spirits
Some people literally swear that beer and wine don’t cause the hangover that hard drinks do. In reality, you will get drunk and get a hangover from any alcoholic beverage, as they all contain ethanol. And it doesn’t matter in what order you drink them.
In addition, it is useful to remember that:
- Red wine contains tannins, which cause headaches in some;
- Mixing different drinks irritates the stomach and may aggravate a hangover;
- Highly contaminated drinks, usually dark in color – such as red wine, brandy and port – cause more severe hangovers;
- If you start the evening with strong alcohol, you often quickly lose moderation and end up drinking more than you intend to.
7. Training helps
Although exercising the next morning can relieve remorse, no research has yet confirmed that it can help alleviate the physical effects of alcohol consumption. You can only burn the calories from alcohol. In addition, after drinking alcohol, a lack of fluids and nutrients reigns in your body. When you play sports, you again lose fluids and essential substances, so that the end result can be an additional deterioration in well-being, and in severe cases, even a health hazard.With a lack of fluid, the thermoregulation of the body is disrupted, so that when playing sports in hot weather, you can easily overheat.
During a hangover, both reaction speed and eye-hand coordination and balance are impaired, which will affect your athletic performance, which requires quick and accurate action.
8. Pain relievers before bedtime
Acetaminophen (known as Tylenol / Tylenol) when taken with alcohol can damage the liver. Other pain relievers, such as aspirin, paracetamol, and ibuprofen, can irritate the stomach and cause bleeding when they interact with alcohol.
In addition, taking the pain reliever in the evening will not be beneficial: it will provide pain relief for only a few hours, but in your sleep you do not feel pain anyway. Take a pain reliever in the morning if needed.
9. Women and men have the same hangover
In fact, hangovers are easier for women.Even if a woman is exactly the same weight as a man, she needs less alcohol to get drunk. The male body contains more water, which dilutes alcohol and helps to weaken its effects. The male body also produces more of the enzyme that breaks down alcohol.
10. Hangovers are not a big problem
A hangover shows that the body is poisoned by an excess of alcohol. Heavy alcohol consumption affects the nervous system and brain chemistry, leading to headaches, drowsiness and nausea. Your intestines are irritated and inflamed. Yes, in fact, you will recover quickly and may not be affected by the suffering after a good party. But overdoing it with alcohol is always a risk. With an excess of alcohol, alcohol poisoning can form, you can lose consciousness, and difficulty breathing can occur. You may even die. No party is worth it.
Plus, while you’re hungover, you are wasting a lot of precious time that could have been better spent. Perhaps you will not make it to work in time or you will not get there at all, perhaps precious hours of communication with your family and loved ones will be lost.We need to weigh whether it’s worth it.
90,000 How to quickly get rid of a hangover at home
Hangover is a condition that occurs in a person after drinking too much alcohol. Since it does not bring much pleasure and gives a lot of discomfort, many are interested in how to quickly get rid of a hangover at home.
What helps with a hangover quickly
Quench Your Thirst
This is the very first action to take. However, do not rush to the water decanter like a camel after a long hike. Large volumes of water drunk in this state can cause an attack of vomiting. It should be drunk gradually in equal doses. In the first two hours, you need to drink about 1.5 liters of water in equal doses. The fact is that as a result of alcoholic intoxication, many toxins accumulate in the body, and the water removes them.
Replenish the lost substances in the body
The second step is to replenish the inorganic compounds lost by the body as a result of alcoholic intoxication.As a result of intoxication, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus and sodium disappear from the body. Since ancient times, our ancestors replenished these substances with the help of bread kvass, cucumber pickle, dried apricots or sauerkraut. This is undoubtedly an effective method, however, in the age of modern medicine, drugs such as “Panangim” or “Asparkam” will be more effective. It is enough to take 3 tablets, and after a while, the lost electrolytes will be replenished, and you will feel better.
Take ascorbic acid
The next morning after a stormy feast, the blood becomes more alkaline, which means that to alleviate the condition, it is necessary to reduce the concentration of alkali.Take four ascorbic acid tablets for a few hours to restore the pH of the blood.
Get rid of nausea, vomiting and dizziness with mineral water
As a result of heavy alcohol consumption, many inorganic toxic compounds are formed in the body, which cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, chills, sweating and weakness. To eliminate these unpleasant sensations, simply drink a liter of mineral water throughout the day.Better if it is “Borjomi” or “Essentuki”. If you feel very bad, you can’t get to the store, and your head hurts, then just dilute five grams of baking soda in a liter of boiled water. This is not quite the Essentuki mineral water, but the effect will be the same.
Be sure to have breakfast
The next morning after the feast, after the elimination of nausea and headache, you definitely need to eat. For breakfast, it is better to stop at fermented milk products. Drink yogurt, kefir, but do not drink milk.The fact is that kefir and yogurt will be able to restore the damaged microflora of the body, but milk that does not contain lactic acid bacteria will only aggravate your already difficult condition.
Lean meat and vegetables are also suitable for breakfast, but it is better to replace sugar with honey. Honey has many healing properties that not only fight various diseases, but also save you from a severe hangover. You can also drink some vitamins, if you take them on a regular basis, tincture of Eleutherococcus will also work well.To improve mental activity and the functioning of the nervous system, you can take a tablet “Glycine”. Also, during the day, you should avoid strenuous physical activity.
Go to the sauna
Just remember that the temperature should not be too high, otherwise it will be a very heavy load for the heart. In the process of sweating, all toxic substances and compounds are excreted from the body, which cause many unpleasant symptoms. If it is not possible to go to the sauna, then you can get by with a hot shower.It will improve metabolic processes in the body and strengthen the sebaceous glands.
Get a good night’s sleep
If it is possible to sleep longer, it is better to sleep. If there is an opportunity to take a day off from work, then it is better to refer to malaise and stay at home. You’re not a worker today, but it’s quite possible to spoil your reputation. Sleep is the best medicine. The better you sleep, the less pronounced all the above symptoms will appear.
The best option for dealing with a hangover is not to drink.However, if you have not calculated your strength, then simple recommendations will help you quickly cope with this unpleasant and difficult condition. However, remember that every organism is different, so it may turn out that not all recommendations are right for you. For example, maybe you don’t want to eat, so don’t eat. The main thing is to replenish the loss of fluid in the body with the indicated means. In this case, you can recover quickly enough.
Hangover how to remove
A hangover goes hand in hand with red eyes, violent thirst, headache, weakness, and disorganization.Sometimes the person who was relaxed last night will feel apathy, trembling, nausea, and lack of appetite.
The cause of an unpleasant hangover is alcohol, which causes an increased production of urine, which leads to dehydration, fatigue and headaches.
Doctors say that a strong hangover is the effect on the body of the decay products of ethanol.
Effective ways to deal with a hangover
With the effects of a hangover at home, the remedies that are present in the home medicine cabinet or in the kitchen help to fight.
- Water . If you have a severe hangover, drink plenty of water. This simple trick can help combat dehydration, quench your thirst, and speed up the elimination of toxins from your body.
- Strong tea . If you experience mild nausea and discomfort, drink a strong cup of tea. A warming drink is recommended even in a state of alcoholic intoxication, as it is sobering.
- Light food . If nausea is not on the list of symptoms, load your stomach with a light meal.Eat an orange, a lemon wedge, or empty a glass of kefir. With the help of acidic products, speed up recovery, and lactic acid will accelerate the elimination of intoxication.
- Activated carbon . Hangovers are often exacerbated by nausea. Then activated carbon will come to the rescue. With the help of a sorbent, speed up the cleansing of the body. For ten kilograms of weight, take one tablet.
- Enterosgel . Coal has an alternative – enterosgel. The remedy is effective and helps to quickly relieve the symptoms of a severe hangover.
- Glutargin . The drug is aimed at restoring and cleansing the liver. The decomposition products of alcohol are concentrated in this organ, glutargin will help.
- Citramon or Aspirin . Aspirin or citramone can help cope with a severe headache. Do not forget that these tablets have a negative effect on the stomach lining. For peptic ulcers or gastritis, stop using pills.
Stores sell special anti-hangover products.There is no special need for them, the composition of the funds includes succinic, ascorbic or acetylsalicylic acid and caffeine, and they do not exceed citramone in terms of effectiveness.
It is recommended to fight a hangover with folk remedies. These are pickle, pickled apples and sauerkraut. Fermented foods can ease hangover symptoms. It is possible to alleviate the fate without the use of drugs. Go outside and take a walk in the fresh air. As a last resort, induce vomiting.
It is best to stop drinking, or at least drink alcohol wisely.After all, such drinks are harmful to health and destroy life.
Folk recipes in video report
After the fatal moment, it is not recommended to use spicy foods, canned food and smoked meats for two days. Choose liquid and low-fat foods, rosehip broth and dried apricots.
How to overcome a hangover at work
Being hungover during working hours is a hell of a torment.Drowsiness, thirst, headache, nausea – an incomplete list of things that prevent you from concentrating on your duties and make you look forward to the end of the working day.
A few tricks that will come in handy if you do not drink alcohol in a company or at corporate parties.
- Come up with a good reason for rejection. Tell your companions that you are treating the liver and that the procedure is incompatible with alcohol consumption.
- It is impossible to avoid a stormy feast when a respected guest is at the table.Then take the lead and lay the spill on yourself.
- When pouring spirits, take control of the amount of alcohol in your glass. Do not empty the glass completely. Correctly and well snacking, protect yourself from strong intoxication.
If you can not resist the temptation, the next morning will overtake a strong hangover. Everything would be fine if not for work. In such a situation, simple methods of dealing with a hangover are ineffective, since after the morning rise there is no time to use them.Listen to the following guidelines.
- Skip public transportation and walk to work or walk a few stops to work. A morning walk will provide access to fresh air, which will have a positive effect on blood circulation.
- On your way to work, run into the store and buy a lemon. At work, make tea and sip with lemon wedges. Drinking tea during working hours is not prohibited.
- If that doesn’t work, check your office first aid kit.Surely find drugs that will help overcome a hangover. In a glass of water, dilute a few drops of ammonia and drink quickly.
- Look in the medicine cabinet for aspirin. One tablet will make the blood thinner, relieve headaches and improve well-being.
- If you have a feast in the evening, and the next morning you have to go to work, try to take an anti-hangover before the feast. This simple action will make the morning “less cloudy”.
- If you have nothing at hand and your condition worsens, drink plenty of water or mineral water.By providing the body with fluid, speed up the elimination of toxins.
If the methods are ineffective, and the state of health continues to deteriorate, call an ambulance. Perhaps alcohol poisoning is so strong that it will not be possible to overcome without professional help.
The listed and described methods and folk methods will help to cope with the hangover syndrome. But I sincerely hope that you, being a sane person, will not come to such a state. Remember, health is the only thing that money can’t buy.
Why does a hangover occur?
The final part of the story will be devoted to the causes of a hangover, causing its factors and ways to avoid a hangover.
- Poisoning . When alcohol decays, poisonous substances are formed that contribute to the formation of toxins. In this regard, rums, tequila and vermouth are the most harmful to the body. By consuming such drinks, we force the liver to process alcohol and impurities.
- Dehydration .The hangover is complemented by dehydration. It is caused not by a lack of fluid, but by its incorrect distribution in the body. After the feast, bags appear under the eyes, and the face becomes swollen.
- Impaired brain function . It is caused by acetaldehyde, a decomposition product of alcohol. The next morning, after a noisy feast, the nervous system becomes highly sensitive. As a result, even a quiet sound or dim light annoys a person.
Scientists have proven that the body uses nutrients and vitamins to fight hangovers.With their help, it restores the normal performance of systems.
As practice shows, a sober lifestyle for society is a utopia. It is difficult to find someone who does not drink alcohol. Fortunately, there are recommendations on how to avoid a hangover.
- Do not drink alcohol on an empty stomach . Before the feast, be sure to have a snack and drink an absorbent beforehand. Five charcoal tablets are enough.
- Eat rice, potatoes, pasta . Foods that contain a lot of carbohydrates help to avoid a severe hangover.Protein foods are no less effective. Fish and meat dishes slow down the absorption of alcohol. Forget about fatty foods temporarily, otherwise the liver will receive a double load.
- Sweets accelerate the absorption of alcohol . During the feast, do not press on grapes and desserts.
- Do not rush to drink alcohol . Take time out to dance, have fun, and hang out with your friends.
- Do not mix drinks . If you started drinking cognac, end the celebration with the same drink.Remember, vodka is less likely to cause hangovers than wine and cocktails.
Hopefully I was able to take a closer look at getting rid of hangovers and nausea at home and at work. Be sure to take these recommendations into service. If you follow the culture of drinking alcohol, you will not have to use advice in practice, and noisy feasts will leave only pleasant sensations.
90,000 Nausea after alcohol. Vomiting after alcohol
|what to do if …|
|hangover sick||do not fight nausea, do not take remedies for nausea.On the contrary, help the body cleanse: drink a liter of water and induce vomiting. This will very quickly help get rid of the hangover|
|vomiting with bile||this is a sign of an imminent improvement in the condition: the stomach has already cleared. If after three vomiting of bile it does not get better, call an ambulance|
|vomiting with blood||is not the norm. If there was little blood, make an appointment with a doctor and have your stomach checked. If there is a lot of blood, call an ambulance|
|vomiting is accompanied by other unpleasant symptoms||if these are ordinary hangover symptoms, then it’s okay.But sometimes vomiting can be a sign of a dangerous illness. To be able to distinguish one from the other – read the article about when you need to call an ambulance with a hangover|
|vomits immediately after drinking||you may have overeat or drank. Let your body get rid of the excess – and tomorrow’s hangover will not be so strong|
|nausea prevents you from eating||drink more, and eat to a minimum: yogurt, citrus fruits, bananas will not harm.What else can you eat with a hangover – read in a separate article|
|vomiting does not go away for a long time||if vomiting has been going on for more than a day and does not bring relief – take two Cerucal tablets with a difference of 15 minutes. If the pills for nausea did not help, call a doctor|
|severe vomiting torments every time with a hangover||contact a gastroenterologist, he will prescribe the necessary tests and, according to the results, can prescribe medications|
What to do if you feel sick with a hangover
Don’t fight hangover nausea and vomiting.This is a natural (and very useful) reaction of the body to the ingress of toxic substances into it: alcohol breakdown products. If you are sick of nausea, but it does not come to vomiting, induce vomiting yourself, and you will quickly feel better. To do this, you should drink at least one liter of water – and provoke vomiting. Continue drinking and vomiting until clear water comes out.
Do not take medication for nausea. Thus, you will prevent the body from getting rid of the poisonous decomposition products of alcohol, and your severe hangover will last much longer, and you will get much more harm from the alcohol you drunk the day before.
Do not leave home until vomiting stops. Put your business aside for later. Doing something like this is a bad idea. If you still can’t put things off – read the article on how to get to work with a hangover.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
After the vomiting is over, you can take remedies to treat your hangover: honey or lemon for an early detoxification, pantogam or picamilon for headaches, diuretics to relieve swelling.
Don’t you want to be sick like that anymore? Bookmark our site , read about how to drink healthily.
What to do if you feel sick with bile after alcohol
If the stomach has already cleared and vomits only with bile, then this is a sign that the condition will soon improve. It can take a long time, 5-7 hours, but in this case the body does what it needs.
When bile comes out with vomiting, this means that at first the gallbladder contracted (that is, the tension in the biliary tract was relieved and the load on the liver decreased), bile entered the duodenum (that is, the level of CCK-PZ polypeptide decreased, and, consequently, and load on the pancreas), the duodenum contracted in the reverse peristalsis mode and pushed its contents into the stomach (bile decreased the pH in the stomach lumen and the sensitivity of the gastric mucosa), and the stomach pushed bile through the esophagus and decreased its sensitivity.Desensitization brings relief and relieves nausea.
As a rule, vomiting ends some time after two or three passes of bile from the duodenum through the stomach and esophagus into the oral cavity. If this does not happen, call an ambulance.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
Isn’t that dangerous?
If vomiting is tormented after a booze or already with a hangover, then it is not recommended to go to bed: there is a danger of choking on vomit while sleeping on your back.It is necessary that someone looks after the sleep of a drunken person and can turn him on his side in time.
Nausea and vomiting can be dangerous if they are a sign of a serious illness that has arisen or is aggravated by alcohol intoxication. The main thing here is to distinguish an alarming symptom from a banal hangover syndrome. A detailed article on when to call an ambulance with a hangover will help you with this.
Also read a separate article on how to effectively get rid of the most common hangover symptoms, and what dangerous symptoms can only be dealt with by a doctor.
What to do if there was vomiting with blood
If there was a little blood in the vomit, this is not the norm. After recovering from a hangover, it is recommended to undergo an examination of the gastrointestinal tract using EGD.
If there is a significant amount of blood in the vomit, it is better not to pull and immediately call an ambulance.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
When you need to induce vomiting on your own in case of a hangover
Read interesting and funny articles in our blog!
* How sommelier specialization was formed.
* Sitting in the barn. History.
* Rules for choosing a low-calorie wine.
One of the reasons for feeling unwell during a hangover is the improper redistribution of fluid in the body: dehydration in the circulatory system, and edema in the tissues. In order to achieve the correct redistribution of fluid, it is most effective to drink water and at the same time take diuretics (veroshpiron, green tea, non-alcoholic beer).
The rapid flow of water into the bloodstream normalizes the volume of circulating blood, and excess fluid will leave the tissues along with the toxic substances that have lingered in the body after drinking – as a result, the edema will subside, the harmful substances will be removed from the body and the general condition will improve.Before drinking water, it is advisable to make up for the lack of mineral salts: for example, drink a glass of brine (more than one glass is not needed).
Mineral water for a hangover is three times more effective than ordinary water. Especially useful is “bicarbonate” mineral water (Essentuki, Borjomi), which shifts the acid-base balance of the body to the alkaline side, that is, corrects hangover acidosis, which causes nausea and vomiting after alcohol, which has already been described above. Mineral water enters the bloodstream faster than usual – and, accordingly, quickly relieves swelling and helps to remove toxic substances from the body.
If with the first glass of water you feel that you are drunk again, it means that unprocessed alcohol remained in the stomach and intestines, which began to enter the bloodstream with liquid. In this case, it is advisable to cleanse the stomach and intestines. Stomach cleansing is to induce vomiting. The fastest and most effective way to cleanse the intestines in case of severe alcohol poisoning is an enema: it quickly relieves the body of the poisonous decomposition products of alcohol, and also eliminates the improper redistribution of fluid.An enema can be replaced with a non-toxic laxative: senna drug or sorbitol.
How to prevent a hangover by vomiting
You can significantly improve your morning state by inducing yourself to vomit in advance: immediately after a binge. Then the stomach will immediately be cleansed of both excess alcohol lingering in the stomach and excess food, which gives an additional load on the liver and pancreas during a hangover.
There are other ways to relieve an impending hangover in advance.Read our special article on what else you can do to ease your morning state the night before your hangover. And we recommend that the most prudent readers, even before the start of drinking, take advantage of the advice of a toxicologist, which are described in the article “How you can avoid a severe hangover and reduce the harm to the body from alcohol.”
How to temporarily sober up with the help of vomiting
Vomiting helps in cases when a person is still drunk, but he urgently needs to sober up, at least for a short time.After emptying the stomach, temporary sobriety will help bring back black coffee or very strong tea. For more information on how to quickly sober up in an emergency, read a separate article.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
What you can eat when you feel sick from alcohol
You can often hear advice with a strong hangover to eat through the power of a fatty soup, and then the nausea will recede. This is not true. It would be wiser not to interfere with the body’s disposal of alcohol breakdown products and not to load it with new food until it is cleansed.Food (especially heavy food) with a hangover can be useful only as a means of provoking diarrhea and vomiting; however, it is easier to use water for these purposes.
So, if you want to eat with a hangover, try to limit yourself to light food. The best choices are yogurt, citrus fruits, and bananas. Bananas replenish lost potassium and are easily tolerated if nausea persists. Oranges and lemons contain a lot of citric acid, which improves metabolism and helps the body get rid of the toxic breakdown products of alcohol faster.
Bananas – a healthy breakfast with a hangover.
Yogurt, among other useful ingredients, contains B vitamins, which the body just lost in the process of processing alcohol. B vitamins improve food digestion, normalize the nervous system, muscles and heart, and also help with nausea.
If you are already getting better and your body needs food – open our article “What is better to eat with a hangover”: from it you will learn which breakfast with a hangover will not harm, but on the contrary, will put you on your feet faster.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
What to do if vomiting persists for a long time
When vomiting after taking alcohol has been going on for more than a day and nothing but water and bile comes out, it makes sense to take cerucal with a minimum amount of water (so as not to immediately spit out the pill back). If everything went well, take the second pill in 10-15 minutes. If it does not help and vomiting continues, you should consult a doctor, he can inject fast-acting drugs intravenously.
The same recommendations are relevant for too long vomiting after a long binge.
If nausea and vomiting every time torments you with a hangover for too long, even when you drink very little alcohol, then it makes sense to consult a gastroenterologist: check the pancreas, liver, biliary tract and duodenum. You can also take an analysis for the content of zinc in the blood: zinc is contained in the active center of alcohol dehydrogenase, so a lack of zinc in the body can affect the duration of intoxication, with which some visitors to our site associate nausea that does not pass for too long.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
Why hangover makes you sick
Alcohol has a multifaceted negative effect on the body, but specifically nausea and vomiting after drinking alcohol causes a violation of the acid-base balance (acidosis). The fact is that the decomposition products of alcohol are predominantly acidic: acetaldehyde, acetic acid, lactic acid.
This is why baking soda helps with a hangover: 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda (depending on how you feel) should be dissolved in 1-1.5 liters of water and drunk.Soda is part of various anti-hangover agents. However, ingested baking soda may not work as expected, triggering an acidity response in the stomach. Alkaline mineral water has a more balanced effect: Borjomi, Essentuki.
Read also an article about how choleretic drugs help with a hangover, how to take them correctly, and how to avoid a hangover with the help of choleretic drugs in advance.
This article in Russian
The article was published: 2019-01-01
This article was last updated: 14.03.2020
Didn’t find what you were looking for?
Free guide to knowledge
Subscribe to the newsletter. We will tell you how to drink and eat so as not to harm your health. The best advice from the experts of the site, which is read by more than 200,000 people every month. Stop spoiling your health and join!
90,000 How to get rid of nausea after alcohol
What is a hangover, what causes it and what are its consequences
Morning sickness includes a variety of unpleasant symptoms such as headache, nausea and vomiting, digestive problems, increased thirst, hand tremors, fever, chills, high or low blood pressure, and general malaise.In addition, with a hangover, a person can face feelings of guilt (which have a biochemical origin), even if they have not done anything wrong. A healthy person who is not yet an alcoholic, in this state, experiences a strong aversion to any thoughts about re-drinking.
The main types of alcoholic effects that cause morning hangover include the following.
|Poisoning.||In the body, alcohol decomposes into a number of toxic substances.One of them is acetaldehyde, which provokes the production of other toxins. At the same time, alcoholic beverages also contain various additional impurities that disrupt the normal functioning of the liver, one of the functions of which is cleaning.|
|Change in fluid balance.||It is believed that a severe hangover causes dehydration, but in fact it is a decrease in the volume of blood circulating through the vessels, a lack of which causes dry mouth, while a person with a hangover often swells and swells from excess water.|
|Metabolic failure.||In the process of combating the effects of alcohol, including poisoning and hangovers, the body is forced to spend huge amounts of important vitamins, micro- and macroelements. The lack of lost substances is especially felt on the second and third days after alcohol abuse.|
|Violation of acid-base balance.||Manifests itself with a hangover in the form of morning sickness, vomiting and rapid breathing. This is because alcohol, when decomposed, produces mostly acidic products such as acetaldehyde, lactic and acetic acids.|
|Effect on brain cells.||The result of the chemical action of alcohol and acetaldehyde is an ultra-high sensitivity of the nervous system the next morning with a hangover, manifested in pain from sounds that seem too loud and too bright – light.|
As a result of alcohol consumption, the formation of rapid phases of human sleep is disturbed. These are the most important periods of night rest, when the brain must work, forming dreams, and the body as a whole must gain strength.A person with a hangover does not feel asleep at all, even having slept for more than 8-9 hours. Reason: in the absence of REM sleep phases, it is simply impossible to fully rest.
How to treat the consequences of a hangover
Frequent participants in alcoholic feasts during their practice have already figured out which recipes for getting rid of hangover nausea are the most effective.
All methods and recipes can be divided into several groups. You can heal with the help of drugs in stationary or home walls, or you can use some proven folk methods.
Experts emphasize that during a hangover, nausea and vomiting is the best way to cleanse the body of alcoholic components that enter the bloodstream and cause intoxication.
Therefore, if you feel sick after alcohol, you should not restrain the gag reflex. It is necessary to help the stomach to expel all excess from itself and to drink for this as much water as possible at room temperature. It is better to do this in the morning immediately after waking up.
Together with the vomit, the bulk of harmful toxins are evacuated.After a complete stomach cleansing, it is recommended to take activated charcoal and lie down to rest.
If the next day after drinking too much alcohol, you just feel a little nauseous, then to relieve this unpleasant sensation, you can make tea with lemon, brew chamomile, mint or lemon balm, drink sour juice or fruit drink. It well neutralizes alcoholic components in the stomach of fermented milk products, for example, kefir, yogurt or plain milk.
To avoid nausea, you can try to drink regular pickle – the favorite hangover drink of all alcohol lovers.The properties of the brine are by no means exaggerated. Salting liquid for vegetables – cucumbers, cabbage, beets – is saturated with salt and acids. The brine successfully replenishes the level of sodium in the blood, which decreases after drinking alcohol, and also returns the lost fluid.
Brine also helps to restore appetite in remission.
In the morning, during a hangover, it is very difficult to eat something and, as experts advise, it is not necessary to do this. But if there is an opportunity to drink a fresh raw egg – chicken or several quail – a person’s well-being will noticeably improve.The composition of the egg will help bind harmful toxins and reduce nausea.
When you feel sick, you can try drinking a cup of hot chicken broth with vegetables or in the morning eat a portion of oatmeal with milk.
Strongly overload the stomach with food, you can only eat light food. For nausea after alcohol, oranges, bananas, apples, or fresh berries will help. Eaten banana will replenish the lost supply of potassium, oranges will help to remove toxins and improve gastrointestinal metabolism, berries will ease hangover and improve the process of digestion.
Water treatments are also considered a good way to fight hangovers and get rid of unpleasant symptoms. A steam bath, Finnish sauna or hot bath remove toxins through the skin and sweat.
After good steaming, the body quickly recovers and alcoholic nausea goes away. At the end of the hot bath procedures, you should drink freshly brewed herbal tea with lemon.
In addition, a contrast shower will help to normalize blood pressure, restore muscle and skin tone and facilitate the activity of blood vessels.
However, it should be remembered that such methods can be used by healthy people with a small alcohol hangover. It is categorically impossible to steam and use a contrast shower for people with heart problems or high blood pressure.
If after alcohol you still feel sick, and the person does not know what to do, it is better not to postpone a visit to the nearest medical facility.
What to take before a meal?
The best solution is prevention, which will help eliminate a hangover.However, feasts are not always planned and therefore it is sometimes unrealistic to prepare for them.
If the event was known in advance, the person has the opportunity to prevent unpleasant consequences:
- Some recommend a little drink before the party. 50-100 ml of vodka is enough for the body to start producing enzymes for the breakdown of ethanol. It is advisable to take alcohol for prevention 1-2 hours before the celebration.
- Eleutherococcus tincture acts like a small portion of vodka.It is necessary to drink 20 ml before drinking so that the body is ready to fight poisonous substances.
- Pre-meal also helps. Usually, people get drunk quickly when they consume a drink on an empty stomach. Therefore, food will prevent this effect.
In order not to get sick with a hangover the next day, you need to know which medicines and food are more effective.
Food and products
It is recommended to eat foods with a high concentration of iodine, which have a positive effect on the thyroid gland.The hormones produced by this food help speed up the oxidation of ethyl alcohol. It is best to start eating food containing iodine 2-3 days before the scheduled event.
Products containing iodine include:
- shrimp, mussels and other shellfish.
When deciding to use dietary supplements (dietary supplements) containing iodine, it is advisable to consult your doctor.
Medicines can also be used to avoid a hangover in the morning. Used before the feast:
- Choleretic drugs. They will help not to get sick with a hangover, as they improve the outflow of bile from the liver and prevent congestion. Consequently, the load on the organ is minimized, and enzymes are produced more actively. You need to take these medicines in the morning, on the day of the planned holiday.
- If there is a lot of fatty food on the table, it is recommended to repeat taking the choleretic agent 2-3 hours before the start of the event.
- Medicines containing aspirin. They activate the production of enzymes that break down ethyl alcohol. It is enough to take 1 tablet a day and the second 12 hours before the event.
- Succinic acid. The substance activates the body’s energy resources and improves metabolic processes. This helps to speed up the elimination of poisons. It is recommended to take 2 tablets 60 minutes before drinking. It is not worth using this method regularly, but it is allowed once.
- Glutargin.The combination of arginine and glutamic acid helps improve the breakdown of alcohol and also protects the liver. The composition must be taken 2 hours before the celebration. The dosage is determined depending on the amount of active ingredient in the tablet.
What else can you do to avoid a hangover? Enterosorbents are an excellent solution to the problem. They help neutralize the decomposition products of ethanol, making it easier in the morning. A cleansing enema will help increase the effectiveness of these products.
Activated carbon works in a similar way. You can use this scheme: 4 tablets are taken 6 hours before drinking, 2 more – 2 hours and 2 – 2 hours after alcohol. Charcoal binds ethanol and prevents poisoning symptoms.
What to do in order not to get sick with a hangover in the morning? Bodun can be prevented by using vitamins of group B. They activate the liver, the process of producing enzymes and reduce alcohol intoxication. For this purpose, Neuromultivit, Neurobeks, Neurogamma, Neurovitan or Pentovit are suitable.
Preparations containing enzymes activate the ethanol breakdown process. They support the liver and minimize the stress on the pancreas. Medications of this group can be taken 1 hour before the meal. The dosage is indicated in the instructions.
When deciding what exactly to drink before the upcoming booze, you need to take into account the contraindications to drugs. Otherwise, the drug may do more harm than good.
Can I drink alcoholic beverages
Getting hung up on beer or stronger alcohol is the worst idea.The body is poisoned and spends all its resources on recovery, and a new portion of ethanol is additional stress.
Thoughts about drinking after alcohol intoxication in a healthy person cause an attack of nausea and disgust. If, on the contrary, there is an acute desire to get drunk, then this indicates the development of alcohol dependence.
After a hangover, there really is a temporary relief – the blood vessels dilate, the blood begins to move faster, the headache goes away. But sooner or later, these processes will decline, then the patient will face a new attack of hangover fever.He is treated with a new batch of beer – a vicious circle is obtained. This is how you can become a drunken alcoholic.
Recommendations and advice
How to quickly stop a hangover and how to relieve nausea, a large amount of fluid will help in this matter.
Brine will help to improve the work of the water-salt balance in the body. Drink fermented milk products, tomato, pomegranate, orange juices. Honey will relieve you of the feeling of nausea and overcome hangovers, because it has medicinal properties.
Since olden times, with a hangover, they drank water with honey. Eat one or two teaspoons of honey and tea or mix with lemon in water and drink.
Eat a low-fat broth to improve the digestion process. You can also drink tea or coffee, but be careful and watch your blood pressure.
A drink made from such products will help to overcome nausea: an egg, pepper, salt, a drop of vinegar, mix everything and drink in one gulp. It helps many people instantly. Many people drink non-alcoholic beer since morning, they say that they help to improve overall well-being very well.
To avoid a severe hangover in the morning, drink a glass of milk or any fermented milk product before bedtime. And the best advice is to stop drinking alcohol altogether and lead a healthy lifestyle.
How to drink to avoid nausea
Vitamin C in concentrated form and not only is able to efficiently remove ethanol breakdown products from the body, without retaining them in healthy cells. To quickly stop vomiting, you need to drink the remedy in small sips, slowly, not to overload the stomach.If this is a medicine with a specific smell, it is better not to smell it at all before taking it – to pinch your nose with your fingers.
If poisoning occurs after alcoholic beverages, it makes sense to induce vomiting on your own to clear the stomach of toxins. It often becomes immediately easier after that. If the condition is accompanied by nausea, but there is no obvious urge, then you can take some measures that will alleviate the condition:
Vitamin B6 is a good prevention of hangover syndrome.You need to take pyridoxine hydrochloride 12 hours before the festivities, then again 4 hours before. This will help greatly ease the hangover symptoms. This is due to the ability of the vitamin to enhance the enzymatic activity of the liver and to simplify the process of processing incoming alcohol for the body. Enzyme medicines will help to cope with urges after alcohol, for example: Pancreatin, Wobenzym, Mezim-forte, Creon. It is not recommended to take Festal, because it has dried bovine bile in its composition, which will reduce the active work of the liver.The protective effect can be provided with the help of sorbents, take Filtrum, activated carbon, Enterosgel. After that, it is imperative to remove all the contents of the intestine so that all toxins come out. Anti-hangover drugs also have a positive effect. The first dose can be taken before the meal, the second in the morning
You should not do this together with a sorbent, choose one drug (this is an important condition). You can drink Zorex, Alka-Seltzer, Bison
If you are not afraid to induce a gag reflex on your own, then you should still do it.After that, the pronounced symptoms of a hangover stop and it is easier for a person to recover, and the stomach will be clean of toxins.
Ways to get rid of nausea during a hangover
Stomach cleansing will help relieve nausea after a hangover. To get rid of the uncomfortable sensation, you need to drink about a liter of warm water or a slightly pink solution of potassium permanganate. And then it follows by pressing on the root of the tongue to induce vomiting. Rinsing must be repeated until the liquid begins to leave without impurities of undigested food.This procedure is not pleasant, but often only it allows you to get rid of the painful signs of a hangover.
Many folk and medicinal remedies help against nausea after drinking. They can also be used to eliminate concomitant symptoms: to get rid of headaches, severe heartburn and sour belching, bloating due to increased gas production.
It is impossible to remove the feeling of nausea after alcohol by taking drugs with antiemetic action.Firstly, they have a wide list of contraindications and poor compatibility with alcohol. Secondly, it is inappropriate to stop nausea and stop vomiting with a hangover.
In a similar state, other medicines are useful:
- Antacids – Rennie, Gastal, Maalox. Nausea is often caused by leftover food in the stomach that triggers the release of hydrochloric acid. Antacids will also relieve heartburn, heaviness in the abdomen, the sensation of bloating with a hangover;
- enterosorbents – activated carbon, Enterosgel, Polysorb.The drugs attract acetaldehyde to their surface and bind, and then evacuate it from the body. They also adsorb food debris, which often lead to the development of putrefactive and fermentative processes.
In the pharmacy assortment there are many products that allow you to get rid of a hangover, for example, Zorex or Alka-Seltzer. They only relieve headaches well, but they are ineffective in case of nausea. Anti-hangover drugs act on the principle of antacids, eliminating the uncomfortable feeling only for a while.
The best remedy for moderate hangover nausea is good sleep. During rest, all vital systems do not work at full strength, which contributes to the restoration of tissues damaged by ethanol.
Such folk methods will also help get rid of nausea:
- contrast shower followed by rubbing with a hard towel. Improves blood supply to tissues with oxygen and bioactive substances, helps to get rid of weakness;
- oil enema.Improves the work of the intestines, stimulates the accelerated evacuation of the final and intermediate decay products of ethanol;
- the use of vegetable pickles without the addition of vinegar. Restores water and electrolyte balance, facilitates elimination from hard drinking;
- drink plenty of fluids. It is necessary to drink at least 2.5 liters of liquid per day – ordinary water, slightly salted mineral waters (Nagutskaya, Slavyanovskaya, Essentuki No. 2 and No. 4), berry fruit drinks, fruit compotes, vegetable juices.
Stop vomiting, shaking, vomiting after drinking a specific anti-hangover drink.To prepare it, you need to beat the egg yolk with a glass of thick tomato juice.
When a person is sick and then vomits, even the smell of food is completely unbearable. After feeling better, the person may feel hungry. But in this state, not all food is healthy. For example, after eating fatty, fried foods, nausea will return again.
Within 2-3 days, the diet should consist of the following products:
- low-fat cheeses, sour cream, fermented baked milk, varenets;
- buckwheat, corn porridge in milk with the addition of a small piece of butter;
- fresh vegetable salads.
90,067 various casseroles of vegetables, cottage cheese;
90,067 biscuits, non-nutritious cookies;
This will not only help get rid of hangover nausea. The use of such products normalizes the digestive system, soothes mucous membranes irritated with alcohol.
Effect on weathering time
There are different ways to influence the hatching rate. Some of the methods are applicable only before starting use. Another – helps to cope with a hangover when crossing the border of the acceptable volume. Weathering is usually of interest to the second type of people who are actively feeling the consequences of drinking alcohol.
Preliminary measures allow the body to cope with excretion right during drinking, as well as during subsequent sleep. An integrated approach will allow you to forget about the problem as a whole, the use of some of the methods will facilitate and accelerate weathering.
- Select refined drinks. A reference example is vodka without flavors (acid, sugar, fructose, flavors), containing only water and alcohol. It is not the price of the drink that affects, but the amount of third-party components and the years of aging.
- Combine with the right food. Too heavy loads the liver and pancreas. These organs must be occupied with alcohol for effective weathering.
- Activated carbon. A simple calculation formula is one and a half tablets for every ten kilograms of weight. Any medicines with similar properties (Enterosgel) are suitable as an analogue.
- Vitamin B6 tablets that activate a working liver enzyme.
- Taking a small amount of alcohol an hour and a half before the start.Allows the liver to start producing the necessary enzymes, which will speed up the process.
- Don’t forget to drink plain water.
- Eat a lump of butter to create a film on the stomach walls.
- Ventilate the room before going to bed.
Follow the recommendations for those who want to speed up the elimination of alcohol and relieve a hangover. After 8 hours of sleep, in the worst case, a minimum amount of alcohol will remain in the blood. Of the possible symptoms, dry mouth remains – it is rarely possible to avoid dehydration.A bottle of mineral water helps.
With a hangover
If it was not possible to prevent the problem and there are typical symptoms, you need to help the body to cope with the amount of toxins. Help:
- going to the toilet – alcohol continues to be absorbed from the intestinal walls;
- drinking plenty of fluids – eliminates general dehydration, alcohol is excreted through sweat and urine;
- Eat something to speed up the metabolism – easily digestible cereals, salted vegetables, citric acid are suitable;
- contrast shower and charging;
- citric acid in reasonable amounts.
A little-known but effective remedy is succinic acid. It is inexpensive, accelerates metabolism, and reduces the time for elimination of alcohol. You can also take it as a preventive measure. Fermented milk products help well – low-fat kefir, kumis, ayran.
A painless and effective way to cope with withdrawal symptoms and wait for complete weathering – long and uninterrupted sleep. The problem is the many painful symptoms that make it difficult to sleep.In severe cases, sleeping pills are used.
They take only non-toxic drugs, without an abundance of side effects. Some of the names contain substances that slow down the breakdown of alcohol, so they are useless for a hangover.
The method is rare, but with a dropper it can help. For instillation, a solution of sodium chloride and glucose is used. For accelerated recovery of the body, ascorbic acid and inosine are added to the saline solution.The effectiveness is due to the direct ingestion of nutrients into the bloodstream, helping to quickly recover and accelerate the elimination of toxins.
What to do after the meal
After returning from a party, take one of the above digestive enzymes; an hour later – bowel movement (laxative or enema if necessary). Lying down or sleeping. If possible – bath, sauna, or cyclic physical activity for 40 minutes.
If you are too drunk, but you need to regain your sobriety for a while (in order to make a responsible decision or to act accurately in a critical situation) – use the effective advice of a toxicologist from our special article on how to quickly sober up at home.
If your condition worsens significantly, especially if you cannot sleep, assess the situation in accordance with the recommendations for calling an ambulance.
After waking up, if you feel unwell, follow the hangover treatment regimen. Read a special article on how to get rid of the main symptoms of a hangover, and in which cases you should immediately call a doctor. Also read the list of the most effective drugs that you can buy for a hangover at the pharmacy.
Experts assure that you won’t have to get sick with a hangover, if you take into account some tips:
Prepare the stomach. If you take even a small portion of alcohol on an empty stomach, you cannot avoid quick intoxication and a severe hangover in the morning. 2-3 days before the feast, take care of increasing the stimulation of the thyroid gland, the production of hormones for the full, timely breakdown of ethanol, and its excretion from the body. The diet should include iodine-containing foods: seaweed, feijoa, seafood.A few hours before taking alcohol, eat a small portion of heavy fatty foods with the addition of vegetable (soybean) oil in order to create a protective film on the gastric mucosa, to prevent the rapid absorption of alcohol metabolites into the blood.
Accelerate the production of microsomal enzymes (metabolites) and metabolite processing 2-24 hours before the party. Take Aspirin, Askovit, Aspikor. The main thing is not to take Aspirin or Antipochmelin mixed with alcohol. The drugs create a false sense of sobriety, preventing rapid drunkenness, causing severe hangovers if you overdo it and do not calculate the allowable dose of alcohol.As analogs, you can take Medichronal, Alkobarier, Alka-Seltzer with you to the party, taking 1 tablet before taking alcohol and 2-3 pcs. In the process. 15-20 minutes before consuming the first glass, you need to drink activated charcoal (1 tablet per 10 kg of weight) – an excellent adsorbent, so up to 4 tablets between toasts during a party.
Prepare the liver. The organ is the main cleaner in the body and is the first to attack with ethanol. The entire load of ethyl alcohol falls on her. For 4-6 hours, you can take vitamins (Pizian, Neuromultivimin, B6) 80-100 mg.
Improve, activate the outflow of bile for the rapid breakdown of fats in the liver. 10 hours before taking the first glass, drink bile collection (15g per 1 glass of boiling water) or pharmacy rosehip syrup (1-2 tsp) to avoid rapid intoxication.
Stimulate the liver. 1.5-2 hours before the fun, you need to invigorate the filtering organ by taking a small dose of alcohol (50-100 ml) or eleutherococcus tincture (20 ml). This activates the production of a special compound – alkodehydrogenase, followed by cleavage and excretion in the form of metabolites.The main thing is not to overdo it, not to appear at the party already drunk.
Activate biochemical processes to accelerate the breakdown of ethyl alcohol in the body. Drink Alkoklin (1 tablet), Glutargin (750mg) 1.5 hours before the feast.
Take measures to reduce the production of bile acids, otherwise alcohol will provoke the rapid destruction of red blood cells, the spread of alcohol components throughout the body. For 1-1.5 hours drink Mezim forte, Abuomin, Creon, Wobenzym with dosage according to the instructions.
Accelerate metabolism and metabolic processes by taking succinic acid for 1 hour (10).
Protect stomach from harmful decomposition products. Any alcohol-containing drink contains a certain dose of ethanol, acetaldehyde. Before the party (30-40 minutes in advance), it is better to insure yourself, drink 50 ml of pure vegetable oil, which creates an enveloping effect of a fatty substance on the mucous membrane and a barrier to the accelerated introduction of harmful compounds into the blood.
Prepare the organism
It is important to have a snack before taking the first glass, so that there is at least a little food in the stomach. Ideally – high-calorie, quickly and completely filling the stomach, preventing the penetration of alcohol into the bloodstream, the strongest intoxication as a result
Boiled potatoes or any porridge (buckwheat, oatmeal, semolina) absorb up to 45% of ethanol.
If you feel unwell after drinking, you can drink a diuretic, 1.5 liters of pure non-carbonated or mineral alkaline water with the addition of soda (35 mg).
Has useful properties from a hangover:
- Activated carbon, which attracts harmful components of intoxicating drinks, preventing them from being absorbed into the blood. It is recommended to take 1-2 tablets to avoid manifestations of morning intoxication.
- Succinic acid, which accelerates the excretion of toxic decay products to the outside, but should not be taken for stomach ulcers.
- Enterosgel is a new drug containing methylsilicic acid that binds toxins with subsequent elimination. You can take 1 capsule before and after an alcoholic party with plenty of clean water.
- Panangin eliminates hangover symptoms if taken immediately after waking up within 3 hours
- Glycine for melancholy, increased tension, nervousness.
Tablets for nausea in case of alcohol poisoning
Severe hangover or withdrawal symptoms are accompanied by complications in the form of a large number of symptoms. They require drastic measures and intensive treatment.
If you feel very sick after drinking and vomiting begins, what to do and take:
- “Eteperazine”. A neuroleptic that is widely used for alcohol addiction. It has antiemetic, sedative and anti-allergic effects.Eliminates hiccups, heartburn and abdominal pain, diarrhea, inhibits the effect of ethanol on the body and prevents its absorption. The daily dosage depends on the symptoms – from 4 mg to 8 mg 3-4 times. The maximum intake is 24 mg per day;
- Haloperidol. Blocks dopamine receptors in the area of the vomiting centers, reduces the activity of alcoholic psychoses after binge, providing a sedative effect on the brain stem. The daily dosage of the drug is from 0.5 to 5 mg. It is better to drink the medicine with milk or water;
- “Perinorm”.It enhances the absorption and breakdown of ethanol, soothes pain in the abdominal region and, regardless of the cause, reduces vomiting and nausea. Reception half an hour before meals, 5-10 mg. The number of applications per day – no more than 3-4 times;
- “Metoclopramide”. Active antiemetic drug. Relieves nausea and hiccups. Increases sphincter tone and esophageal activity. The amount of admission per day is from 5 to 20 mg.
All these drugs are prohibited to be combined with alcohol, therefore they are prescribed immediately after hard drinking or prolonged drinking.
Beforehand, it is better to consult a doctor and clarify the required dosage, possible side effects and allergic reactions.
How to act when quitting hard drinking
Getting out of a binge is very different from a regular hangover. At the beginning of the article, we analyzed how the withdrawal syndrome differs from the hangover syndrome. So, on the way out of the binge, just an abstinence syndrome begins, similar to what happens with alcoholics.
Therefore, a way out of a long binge is an exception to the rule, and then a drink is really appropriate.Even doctors recommend not to stop drinking abruptly, but to reduce the dose gradually, over three days. This is done not only out of sympathy for the patient, there are more serious reasons: a gradual dose reduction reduces the risk of delirium tremens, seizures, hypertensive crisis and other complications.
After a binge, do not stop drinking abruptly, but reduce the dose gradually.
Last updated: 12/18/2019
Didn’t find what you were looking for?
Ask your doctor or administrator a question.
Read the glossary of terms.
Free guide to knowledge
Subscribe to the newsletter. We will tell you how to drink and eat so as not to harm your health. The best advice from the experts of the site, which is read by more than 200,000 people every month. Stop spoiling your health and join!
Do I need to get drunk?
No. If you are not an alcoholic, you will not get much better with a new dose of alcohol, but the hangover will last longer.
Will it get easier?
There is confusion in the question. In the popular mind, such different states as hangover and withdrawal symptoms are poorly distinguished. Most likely, this is due to the wide spread of alcoholism in Russia, when alcoholics coexist with everyday drunkards on a daily basis. Withdrawal symptoms are accompanied by a hangover, but not vice versa.
The fact is that a hangover is poisoning with under-oxidized decomposition products of alcoholic beverages (and is treated according to the same principles as other poisonings), and abstinence is the reaction of an alcoholic to the absence of a substance that has become necessary in the body, namely, alcohol.With the so-called “beer” alcoholism, there is also withdrawal on some chemical components of hops – analogues of benzodiazepines (substances that have a calming effect).
Why does an alcoholic want to hangover
Alcohol is necessary for an alcoholic to synthesize sufficient amounts of intracerebral dopamine, a substance that maintains mood, motivation and physical and mental performance. In addition, when ethanol is taken as an organic solvent, part of the brain tissue is dissolved, which is accompanied by the release of endogenous opiates (internal analogues of morphine, heroin, and the like) of the enkephalins class.Normally, endogenous opiates are intended to combat pain and to promote biologically beneficial behavior, and their increased secretion during drinking is one of the important psychophysiological factors in the development of alcohol dependence.
It can be said that taking alcohol leads to relief from withdrawal symptoms, but does little to help with a hangover. In simple terms, drinking with withdrawal symptoms in alcoholics leads to a rapid improvement in well-being, mood and performance, and with a hangover, ordinary people will remain the same, but only still the person will be drunk.A semblance of withdrawal symptoms can develop in persons who are not alcoholics, when drinking alcohol in large quantities for several days in a row (for example, a wedding, New Year, anniversary, etc.).
The unmotivated anxiety felt the next morning is associated with a decrease in the content of intracerebral dopamine and really goes away with alcohol intake. However, this method of improving well-being is potentially dangerous, as it can turn into a binge. A sign of the transition of domestic drunkenness to alcoholism is the development of an abstinence syndrome after a single intake of alcohol in any amount and the subsequent entry into a binge.
Instead of alcohol, an alcoholic can drink glycerin diluted in water or saline: this remedy will not only reduce hangover pressure, but also create the feeling that he is drunk. For detailed recommendations of a narcologist on how to refrain from new doses of alcohol, read the article about getting out of binge and look at this diagram:
How to get out of a binge. Infographics. View larger
There is also an opinion that a healthy person should inevitably have aversion to any drink in the morning: in a normal situation, the gag reflex works, and any thought of drinking should cause a powerful disgust.If this is not the case, then this is also considered a sign of alcoholism. Be careful.
So, a new dose of alcohol is a short-term symptomatic remedy, followed by detoxification (cleansing the body from the remnants of alcohol and its decay products).
In Western countries, opohmel is considered an equally dubious remedy and is called hair of the dog, it is part of the English proverb “Take a hair of the dog that bites you”, which means “Take a lock of hair of the dog that bites you”, but in our “Fight fire with fire”.
How to get rid of a hangover and relieve the condition at home
What is hangover syndrome
A hangover is a malaise caused by alcohol intoxication of the body. Most common symptoms:
- dry mouth,
- fever (alcohol can trigger the activation of the immune system).
Feeling unwell after drinking usually lasts from 8 to 24 hours. No one is immune from a hangover – even people experienced in the use of alcoholic beverages periodically encounter this unpleasant phenomenon. By far the best way to avoid a hangover is to drink in moderation. But in extreme cases, there are both folk remedies (pickle, green tea) and medicines.
It is important not to confuse hangover with withdrawal symptoms. Despite similar manifestations, the causes of these conditions are different.Hangovers are the result of alcohol poisoning, and withdrawal symptoms are withdrawal symptoms similar to those experienced by drug addicts when they stop using the drug.
Alcohol is consumed by about half of all people on Earth. It is associated with 5% of all diseases and 3 million deaths every year. The main risks associated with drinking alcohol: cancer, high blood pressure, injury. The most “drinking” region is Europe. Alcohol remains one of the main causes of health problems and premature death there.
Reasons for a hangover
As a rule, the severity of alcohol intoxication is directly proportional to the severity of the hangover syndrome. Simply put, the more alcohol a person has, the worse his health will be the next day. The fact is that ethyl alcohol in our body undergoes a chain of transformations, transforming first into acetaldehyde, and then into acetic acid.
For the conversion of ethanol to acetaldehyde, an enzyme with the difficult to pronounce name “alcohol dehydrogenase” is responsible.Acetaldehyde, in turn, must be converted into acetic acid, and this is helped by an enzyme with an even more intricate name “acetaldehyde dehydrogenase”. The more alcohol enters the body, the more difficult it is for enzymes to cope with the load, since their resources are not unlimited.
Therefore, when alcohol is consumed in excess, the body accumulates an intermediate decay product of ethyl alcohol acetaldehyde, which is several tens of times more toxic than ethanol itself. That’s the whole mechanism of alcohol poisoning.
In addition, an excess of alcohol in the body can cause a drop in blood sugar – hypoglycemia. Alcohol interferes with the release of glucose from the liver, and low sugar levels lead to fatigue, headaches, and tremors in the hands. That is why patients with diabetes mellitus must very carefully monitor the intake of alcohol.
What is a moderate dose of alcohol? How much can you drink so as not to experience unpleasant symptoms the next day? It depends on a number of factors: age, weight, gender, heredity, the presence of chronic diseases.If we take the average figures, then for men weighing 70-80 kg, the dose that causes minimal negative health effects should not exceed 14 units (1 unit is 10 ml of 96% alcohol) per week or 2 units per day (Fig. 1) … For women, the “safe” amount of alcohol is about 20% less. At the same time, do not forget that alcohol is harmful to humans in any quantity. In other words, if you want to avoid the health risks associated with drinking alcohol, you should avoid it entirely.
Figure 1. Acceptable (moderate) daily alcohol intake for men and women. Source: Yulia Lebedeva / MedPortal
As the “safe” dose of alcohol is exceeded, hangover symptoms worsen. In addition, the shorter the interval between drinks, the worse the person will feel the next morning.
|There will be no hangover, if you do not “lower” the degree, that is, do not drink low-alcohol drinks after strong ones||Only the total dose of alcohol (ethyl alcohol) drunk and the rate at which a person drinks it affects the occurrence of a hangover.If a person often changes drinks during the evening, it is more difficult for him to keep track of the dose|
|Do not drink white wine after red||It is customary to drink white wine before red wine, as its bouquet and taste are subtler. After a rich, tart red wine, it will be more difficult for taste buds to appreciate white wine|
|Presence of the preservative sulfur dioxide in wine increases hangover headache||Headache after drinking wine is a fairly common syndrome.While scientists are arguing about what is the cause. It is believed that red wine is more likely to be associated with migraines due to its high content of flavonoids – coloring substances from the skin of grapes|
How to prevent a hangover
The most obvious and trivial answer is to drink as little as possible. However, there are situations when it is absolutely impossible to limit yourself to one glass. In this case, the following rules should be followed:
- Drink slowly.People who slowly “consume” their alcoholic beverage, the state of health the next day, as a rule, is much better than the adherents of the “little break rule”.
- Have a snack. Preference should be given to cold, low-fat and moderately spicy dishes. Those who like to quote Bulgakov’s character of Professor Preobrazhensky, who imposed hot snacks on his colleague Bormental, do a disservice to the liver, stomach and pancreas.
- Wash down.Still (or slightly carbonated) mineral water with the addition of freshly squeezed lemon juice is best suited. Citric acid accelerates water-salt metabolism and promotes faster excretion of ethanol metabolites from the body. Another option is fructose-rich natural juices (apple, plum, grape). Fructose helps the body absorb alcohol.
- No smoking. Many drunken people have an overwhelming urge to smoke to heighten their euphoria.In fact, everything happens exactly the opposite: intoxication really increases, but euphoric sensations weaken. In this case, nicotine not only increases the intoxication of the body, but also provokes vasospasm and an increase in blood pressure. The next morning, each smoked cigarette reminds of itself with an unbearable headache.
- Keep track of what medications you are using. Some medications (antidepressants, sedatives, allergy medications, some antibiotics) can cause vomiting and other symptoms when mixed with alcohol.
- 1-2 days before the expected intake of alcohol, it is advisable to enrich your diet with foods high in iodine (baked potatoes, shrimps, seaweed, white beans, prunes). Iodine promotes increased production of thyroid hormones, which accelerate the breakdown of ethyl alcohol.
- On the day of the proposed feast in the morning after breakfast, it is recommended to take an aspirin tablet. Acetylsalicylic acid has a beneficial property – it improves the production of enzymes that break down alcohol.
- This morning it is recommended to take any drug with a choleretic effect (Allochol, rosehip extract) – this will improve the functional state of the liver and prepare it for an unequal fight with ethanol.
What to do if you still have a hangover?
Even if a person follows all the “rules” of drinking alcohol, there is a high probability that sooner or later he will still face a hangover syndrome. If this happens, do not beat yourself up and try to spend this day actively.It is better to take care of yourself: drink more water and get some rest. Here are some tips:
- Drinking plenty of fluids is a surefire way to fight food poisoning and some nonfoods. Choose mineral water or drinks that will help restore the salt balance – sweet tea with lemon, tomato juice.
- Eat. If you feel nauseous, try drinking some broth or juice. Fructose will give the body the energy it needs.
- Sleep.The symptoms go away more quickly with rest. The chances are that after sleep, the hangover will become less pronounced. If your headache keeps you awake, take a pain reliever (such as ibuprofen).
- Walk, breathe fresh air. Deep breathing helps the body eliminate alcohol breakdown products faster. It is better to exclude significant physical activity with a hangover.
- In case of a severe hangover, you can resort to pharmacy products: sorbents, vitamin complexes and tablets specially created to relieve hangover symptoms.
Alcohol poisoning is very dangerous
A hangover is not the worst thing that can happen if you are addicted to alcohol. Alcohol poisoning can lead to heart attack or stroke. An ambulance should be called if the following alarming symptoms are present:
- chest pain,
- heart palpitations,
- pallor (blue lips and fingertips),
- continuous vomiting,
- reduced temperature,
- confusion (a person cannot answer simple questions or answers incorrectly).
Medicines for hangover
Among the drugs that relieve hangover syndrome and are freely sold in pharmacies, the following groups can be distinguished:
- Pain relievers. This includes nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as acetylsalicylic acid, paracetamol, ibuprofen.
- Sorbents. Helps to reduce intoxication. The most common drugs are activated carbon, colloidal silicon dioxide and polymethylsiloxane polyhydrate.
- dietary supplements. There are many dietary supplements specifically designed to eliminate hangover and reduce alcohol intoxication while drinking. As a rule, such preparations are based on acetylsalicylic acid, glycine and aminoacetic acid. The combination of these ingredients helps relieve headaches, accelerates the breakdown of ethanol metabolites, and protects brain cells.
- Preparations for rehydration. These medicines are used to restore water and electrolyte balance.They are based on potassium chloride, dextrose, sodium citrate and sodium chloride.
Home and folk recipes for a hangover
If there were no medicines at hand, and a trip to the nearest pharmacy is impossible due to poor health, you can try to alleviate the condition with the help of folk remedies.
Perhaps the most popular remedy for relieving hangover symptoms in the post-Soviet space. Ordinary cucumber pickle helps to restore the water-salt balance and normalize the osmotic pressure of blood plasma, which will improve overall well-being.Usually one glass is enough.
In the morning after drinking alcohol, we are thirsty. There is a widespread belief that with a hangover syndrome, the body is dehydrated, but this is only partially true. In fact, due to the incorrect redistribution of fluids in the body, the total volume of circulating blood decreases, and at the same time, pronounced swelling is observed in the tissues (it is for this reason that headache is the eternal companion of a hangover). Therefore, to restore the volume of the circulating fluid, it is recommended to drink about 2-3 glasses of clean water for an hour.
Important! Drinking too much water is not recommended as it will put additional stress on the kidneys and heart.
The effect of tomato juice in a hangover is in many ways similar to the effect of brine – the body replenishes the resources of salts and electrolytes, due to which the osmotic pressure of blood plasma is normalized. Tomato juice also contains succinic acid, which reduces poisoning in the body by accelerating the breakdown of acetaldehyde and saturating tissues with oxygen.Usually 1-2 glasses are enough, but with a strong desire, the volume of juice you drink can be increased.
Due to its diuretic effect, green tea accelerates the elimination of toxic metabolites of ethanol from the body, providing natural detoxification. In addition, this drink contains caffeine and tannin, which have a tonic effect and increase performance. If you have a hangover, it is advisable to drink green tea without sugar. To make the taste relatively acceptable, you can add freshly squeezed lemon juice – it will accelerate the breakdown and elimination of the decay products of ethyl alcohol.
Important! Coffee also has a mild diuretic effect, but this drink is not recommended for a hangover, as it increases the load on the heart.
Rosehip is known for its high content of vitamin C, which accelerates the elimination of toxic substances from the body. But its main plus in the context of the topic under consideration is the diuretic effect. Rosehip decoction also improves the outflow of bile, due to which the liver copes more effectively with its detoxification function.For a liter of water, 100 grams of dry fruits are enough (Fig. 2).
Figure 2. Recipe for making rosehip decoction.
Drink with ginger and honey
Ginger reduces general intoxication and helps suppress the nausea that often accompanies hangover. To get a drink, ginger root is crushed and insisted in boiling water, after which honey and lemon are added (Fig. 3).
Figure 3. Recipe for making a ginger drink.
As we already know, citric acid accelerates the breakdown of ethanol and the elimination of its metabolites from the body, while water provides natural detoxification of the body.For 1 glass of pure (preferably still) water, it is enough to add 0.5-1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice (Fig. 4). To relieve severe symptoms, it is recommended to drink 2-3 glasses of lemon water within an hour, so it is more convenient to prepare the water in a decanter, and store the decanter in the refrigerator.
Figure 4. Recipe for making lemon water.
The lactic acid contained in kvass accelerates the breakdown of acetaldehyde, thereby reducing the general intoxication of the body.An important nuance: kvass should be homemade, obtained as a result of natural fermentation. Store drinks in plastic bottles should be chosen with care – it is important that it is a natural double fermentation beverage.
Fermented milk products
Kefir, ayran and other fermented milk products contain tryptophan. This amino acid promotes the breakdown of ethyl alcohol metabolites and reduces post-alcohol poisoning in the body. By itself, milk helps to quickly remove toxic substances from the liver and kidneys.That is why in Soviet times it was given out free of charge to employees of “harmful” industries.
Oats are rich in amino acids and magnesium. These components help to restore the structure of plasma membranes affected by acetaldehyde poisoning, and also normalizes the state of the nervous system. 2-3 tablespoons of oatmeal are enough for a glass of drink (Fig. 5). You can cook the broth both in water and in milk.
Figure 5. Recipe for cooking oat broth.
Contrary to popular belief, breakfast for a hangover should not be too heavy – the digestive system is simply not ready to cope with it.Fried and fatty foods should be avoided to avoid stressing the liver. Most suitable dishes:
- oatmeal in milk (we already wrote about the benefits of milk and oats above),
- boiled eggs – an easily digestible protein will help to quickly saturate the blood with amino acids (in particular, tryptophan, leucine and threonine),
- green tea with lemon will accelerate detoxification,
- cottage cheese with honey will also accelerate the elimination of ethanol metabolites.
What not to do in case of a hangover
The biggest mistake is “to treat like with like”, as recommended by the above-mentioned Bulgakov through the mouth of Woland in the novel “The Master and Margarita”. Unfortunately, the so-called drunkenness is a stereotype firmly rooted among ordinary people. In fact, the use of alcoholic beverages with a hangover syndrome is a sure way to binge drinking and the formation of persistent alcohol dependence. Beer in the morning will not help, but will aggravate the hangover syndrome.