Ketogenic diet apples: 10 Healthy Foods You Can’t Eat on the Keto Diet
Are Apples Keto? – The Best Keto Recipes
Are Apples Keto? This informative guide will help you to enjoy your favorite fruits while sticking to a keto diet!
Are Apples Keto?
Can I eat apples on a keto diet? Apples are not considered a keto friendly fruit as they contain a large amount of sugar. It may seem confusing, because apples are a natural food. But apples contain a high level of natural sugar, which is why you’re going to want to avoid them while being on a keto diet.
There are so many different types of apples, so you may be wondering if your favorite variety is keto friendly. But popular apples such as granny smith, gala, honeycrisp or fuji all contain high amounts of sugar. If you are on a low carb or keto diet, you’re going to want to avoid apples to keep your carb count low.
Carbs in Apples
In a medium sized apple, there can be over 20 grams of net carbs. Since you generally want to stay under 50 grams of net carbs a day on a keto diet, an apple will consume way too much of your daily intake of carbohydrates. There is a difference in the type of apple, but each variety has a high carb count. A granny smith apples has about 18 grams of net carbs, a honeycrisp apple has about 17 grams, a gala apple contains about 20 grams and a fuji apple contains about 25 grams.
Are dried apples low carb?
Unfortunately, no. Even dried apples that only contain the fruit will still retain a fair amount of the sugar that is naturally found in the apples, so they are not suitable for a keto diet. Applesauce, even if it’s unsweetened, is also too high in sugar for a low carb diet. However, you can purchase a keto friendly Apple Extract that you can add to baked goods to get the flavor of apples without the carbs.
Low Carb Fruits
There are many great options of low carb fruit that you can enjoy on a keto diet. You can incorporate these fruits into your diet where you would have previously eaten a high carb fruit.
- Avocados. Avocados are an excellent keto friendly fruit. They are low in carbs and high in fat. Turkey, Bacon and Avocado Taquitos are a great easy keto lunch.
- Coconut. Coconuts contain high amounts of fiber and healthy fat, so it’s another great keto option. However, dried coconut often contains added sugar, so read your labels carefully. Coconut Flour Muffins are a delicious way to incorporate coconut into your diet.
- Tomatoes. While you may not traditionally think of tomatoes as fruit, they actually are. Tomatoes are low in carbs and can lower inflammation. Make a low carb Loaded Balsamic Salad for a keto-friendly dinner.
- Lemons. Lemons are a delicious fruit and you can make many traditional lemon desserts low carb. Keto Lemon Cheesecake Bars are a very popular recipe.
More keto friendly fruit recipes
- Blueberry Chaffle
- Grain Free Granola with Cranberries
- Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate Macadamia Nuts
- Strawberry Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze
Are Apples Keto Friendly? Carbs In Apples
Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food List
Get It Now
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Apples are a sweet, simple fruit choice in many diets. On keto, though, not all produce is worth the time — or the carbs. So, are apples keto? We’ll cover all your questions about apples on keto here, including carbs in apples and a few surprising recipes.
Need more help determining whether foods are keto friendly? Use this handy keto food list. And if you’re totally new to keto, use this keto guide to get started right.
Are Apples Keto Friendly?
Apples are not keto friendly. These fruits are high in fructose (a kind of sugar), and can easily knock you out of ketosis.
How Many Carbs In Apples?
Do apples have carbs? Without a doubt. So, just how many carbs are in an apple? The answer to that question, along with net carbs in apples, depends on the serving, size, and variety of your fruit.
How many carbs in a small apple?
How many carbs does an apple have if it’s small? One small apple contains 20. 6 total carbs and 3.6 grams of fiber, giving it 17 grams of net carbs [*].
How many carbs in a medium apple?
Is a medium apple keto? Still no — the average medium apple has 20.7 grams of net carbs, and 25 total carbs [*].
How many carbs in a large apple?
When the fruit is large, are apples low carb? Nope. Large apples have 30.8 total carbs and 25.5 grams of net carbs [*].
Carbs in Honeycrisp apples
Honeycrisp apples on keto are also a no-go. One medium Honeycrisp contains 22 total carbs and 17.1 grams of net carbs [*].
Green apple carbs
How many carbs in a green apple? Green apple carbs, including carbs in a Granny Smith apple, are also high. One medium fruit has 18 grams of net carbs [*].
Carbs in Gala apples
This fruit has high carbs, too. One medium Gala apple tallies up to 19.5 grams of net carbs [*].
Carbs in Fuji apples
A single medium Fuji apple contains 25. 2 grams of net carbs [*]. You should avoid these apples on keto as well.
Carbs in apple juice
Juicing a fruit will increase its carb count even more. Just four ounces of pure apple juice contains nearly 14 grams of net carbs [*].
Is Apple Cider Vinegar Keto?
With the high carbs in apples, you might think that apple cider vinegar is off the table as well. Not so! Apple cider vinegar comes from apple juice that has been fermented into cider, then fermented again into vinegar. Fermenting twice allows bacteria and yeast to consume almost all the sugar content, making it very keto friendly.
Carbs in apple cider vinegar
Keto and apple cider vinegar are a winning combination. A tablespoon contains zero total carbs [*], so you can enjoy it frequently.
Carbs In Apples (and Substitutes)Pin It For Later!
Keto Apple Substitutes
Can you eat apples on keto? Not really — but you can create similar flavors and textures with these substitutes.
- Squash – Zucchini, yellow squash, or chayote squash make excellent cooked apple substitutes. My keto apple pie is proof:
- Flavor extracts – Options like apple extract or maple extract can capture the right flavor in baked goods. Try one in these salted caramel apple muffins.
- Jicama – For sweetness and crunch without added carbs, this is a tasty low carb swap.
- Other keto fruits – If you simply crave fruit without the high carbs, substitute a more keto-friendly option. See this keto fruit list for ideas.
Conclusion: Are Apples Keto?
So, are apples keto? Definitely not — but with the right substitute, you can still enjoy their fruity flavor.
FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST
GET IT NOW
Are Apples Keto?
Pin It For Later!
9 Fruits and Berries Suitable for the Keto Diet: List, Recipes and Benefits
- 1 9 Fruits and Berries Suitable for the Keto Diet
- 1. 1 Selection of Fruits and Berries for the Keto Diet
- 900 05 1.1.1 Low Carb Fruits and Berries
- 1.1.2 Fruits and Berries to Avoid on the Keto Diet
- 1.1.3 Keto Fruit and Berries Recipes
- 1. 1 Selection of Fruits and Berries for the Keto Diet
- 1.2 Avocado Benefits and Recipes 900 04
- 1.2.1 Benefits of Avocados on the Keto Diet
- 1.2.2 Avocado Recipes for the Keto Diet
- 1.2.3 How to Choose and Store Avocados
- 1.7.1 Amount of carbohydrates in pears:
- 1.8.1 What dishes can be made with raspberries:
- 184.108.40.206 What fruits and berries can I eat on a keto diet?
- 220.127.116.11 What fruits and berries should be avoided on a keto diet?
- 18.104.22.168 Can I eat apples on a keto diet?
- 22.214.171.124 What berry-based recipes can I make on a keto diet?
- 126.96.36.199 What are the composition and benefits of avocado?
- 188.8.131.52 What are the health benefits of berries on a keto diet?
- 184.108.40.206 What harm can high carbohydrate fruits and berries cause?
- 220.127.116.11 Can fruit smoothies be eaten on a keto diet?
Find out what fruits and berries you can eat on a keto diet. List of 9healthy and low-calorie fruits to help you stay in ketosis and enjoy the sweetness of your transition to a healthy lifestyle.
The keto diet is one of the most common nutritional regimes of the moment, restricting carbs and consuming more fat and protein. At the same time, grains, fruits and berries containing a large amount of carbohydrates are excluded from the diet.
However, this does not mean that keto dieters cannot enjoy tasty and nutritious food. There are many delicious fruits and berries that can be consumed in reasonable amounts without violating the principles of this diet.
We recommend adding these fruits and berries to a keto diet as they are lower in carbohydrates than other fruits and may be beneficial for heart, kidney and digestive health.
Fruit and Berries Selection for the Keto Diet
Low Carb Fruits and Berries
On a keto diet, you need to limit carbohydrate intake, which makes the choice of fruits and berries quite limited. However, there are a number of options that can be included in the diet.
- Avocado is a fruit that is low in carbohydrates but rich in fat, protein and fibre. It’s great for the keto diet.
- Coconut is a fruit that is saturated with fats, does not contain glucose and fructose. You can add coconut oil or milk to your diet.
- Strawberries – low in carbohydrates and rich in fibre, antioxidants and vitamins. She is a great choice for the keto diet.
- Blackberry is another fruit that is low in carbs and rich in antioxidants.
Fruits and berries that are best avoided on a keto diet
There are a number of fruits and berries that are high in carbohydrates and are best avoided on a keto diet:
- Bananas – high in carbohydrates and sugar , which is not consistent with the principles of the keto diet.
- Dates are a delicious sweet snack but high in sugar and carbohydrates.
- Dried fruits – contains even more sugar than fresh fruits, so it is better not to consume them on a keto diet.
Fruit and Berries Recipes for the Keto Diet
A Few Food Ideas to Make with Fruits and Berries:
|Coconut Strawberry Balls||Shrimp Avocado and mango||Blackberry sorbet|
|Coconut flakes, cottage cheese, strawberries, coconut oil, honey||Avocado, shrimp, mango, lime, onions, cilantro, olive oil||Blackberry, lemon juice, fresh mint, stevia|
You can diversify your diet using available fruit and berries in accordance with your Keto-Strite. It is important to remember that moderate consumption of fruits and berries on a keto diet will not affect the desired results.
Avocado Benefits & Recipes
Keto Diet Benefits of Avocado
Avocado is an excellent choice for the keto diet due to its high content of healthy fats, rich in vitamins and minerals. One avocado contains about 20 grams of healthy fats, which ensures a long-lasting feeling of satiety. In addition, avocados contain potassium, magnesium, vitamin K, and vitamin C.
Keto Avocado Recipes
Avocado is a versatile food and can be used in a wide variety of keto recipes.
- Guacamole – chopped avocado with onions, tomatoes and spices.
- Egg Avocado – Cut the pit out of the avocado and place the egg in the center. Bake in the oven.
- Avocado Salad – Combine lettuce, avocado pieces, walnuts and chicken pieces.
How to choose and store avocados
For keto meals, choose ripe avocados that are slightly soft when pressed. Store avocados in a cool place until using.
Storage Storage time
|Uncut avocados||2-7 days|
|Cut avocados||1- 2 days (seal with cling film and store in the refrigerator)|
Important: Before use avocado must be peeled and the pit removed. The bone can be easily removed with a knife.
Keto Blueberry Smoothie: Easy and Delicious Recipe
Smoothies are the perfect way to get a serving of tasty and healthy ingredients in one glass. They can be very helpful for those who are watching their diet, including those on a keto diet. This easy and quick keto blueberry smoothie recipe is great for anyone looking to add some fresh fruits and berries to their diet.
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1 tablespoon stevia
- ground flaxseed, coconut milk and ice in a blender.
- Turn on the blender and blend until all ingredients are smooth.
- Add stevia (or any other suitable keto sweetener) and stir again.
- Done! Pour the blueberry keto smoothie into a glass and enjoy.
Blueberries are a healthy fruit for any diet, but especially for the keto diet. It contains many vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C and anthocyanins, which may help improve heart health and reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases. Flaxseed also contains a variety of important nutrients, including omega-3 fatty acids, which may help improve brain and skin health.
Blueberry properties and uses
Blueberry is a blue berry rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, manganese and fibre. It is one of the most nutritious berries for the keto diet.
Ways to consume blueberries on a keto diet can vary. Blueberries can be added to salads, yogurts, or used as an ingredient in keto desserts. Blueberries can also be made into a jam that can be added to yogurt or used as a snack.
- Add blueberries to a keto smoothie for energy throughout the day.
- Make a keto smoothie with blueberries, lemon and mint for a refreshing drink on a hot day.
- Try blueberry sorbet for dessert that doesn’t break the keto diet.
It’s important to know that blueberries are high in carbs, so it’s important to consume them in moderation and include them in your meal plan to suit your individual keto diet needs.
Lemon: how to use it on a keto diet
Lemon is a citrus fruit loaded with antioxidants and vitamin C. Although it contains a small amount of carbohydrates, lemon can be included in a keto diet, provided it is used in moderation. quantity.
Lemon can help improve digestion and support the immune system due to its vitamin C content. Lemon is also considered a natural antioxidant that helps fight free radicals in the body.
The following are recipes using lemon on the keto diet:
- Lemon Juice – Mix freshly squeezed lemon juice, baking soda and natural honey (optional) in a glass of water and add ice.
- Lemon Sauce – Mix freshly squeezed lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper to make a salad or seafood dressing.
- Lemon tea – add boiling water to dry green tea leaves, sliced lemon slices and a little natural honey for sweetness.
Strawberries: Keto desserts and other options
Strawberries are a great choice for fruit lovers who are watching their diet. Because of its low calorie content (about 30 calories per 100 grams) and low carb content (about 5 grams per 100 grams), it is great for the keto diet. Strawberries have many health benefits, such as boosting the immune system and antioxidant action.
Strawberries can be used as a sweet dessert on a keto diet. For example, you can make strawberry keto chocolate by mixing cocoa liquor, coconut oil, and keto-based sweeteners with fresh strawberries. Strawberries can also be the base for keto ice cream. You can simply mix strawberries, cream, stevia and vanilla and freeze. Strawberries are also perfect for keto jam or syrup, adding them to keto pudding or mousse.
- Strawberries go well with nuts and whole milk.
- You can add strawberries to a keto baking base and bake them with coconut oil.
- Strawberries go great with other keto berries like raspberries or blueberries.
Strawberries are a great choice for those who watch their diet but don’t want to give up delicious desserts. Adding strawberries to your keto diet can make it even more varied and interesting.
Pears: their benefits and role in the keto diet
Pears are a tasty and nutritious fruit that can be beneficial for human health. They are high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals that can help support the immune system and improve digestion.
In addition, pears are low in carbs compared to other fruits, making them suitable for a keto diet. They also contain flavonoids and antioxidants that can help fight inflammation and protect cells from damage.
Uses for pears on a keto diet might include garnishing meat or fish dishes or adding them to salads with fresh vegetables. You can also add pears to keto desserts like cakes, muffins, or puddings.
Carbs Per Pears:
|1 medium pear|
|13 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 10 grams of sugar|
be moderate and take into account the total amount of carbohydrates on the keto diet. Include pears in your diet as part of your keto diet plan to get all of their nutritional benefits without breaking your diet.
Raspberries: a source of flavor and nutrition
What dishes can be made with raspberries:
- Raspberry jam: for those who love sweetness, this jam is the perfect addition to breakfast. This jam contains a minimum of carbohydrates and is very obtained in the refrigerator.
- Raspberry Cheesecake: For those who want something more serious, this raspberry cheesecake is the best choice. It includes a soft curd base and a delicate raspberry sauce on top.
- Raspberry Smoothie: If you want to make something quick and easy, Raspberry Smoothie only takes a few minutes. It is a healthy drink that contains a large amount of vitamins and minerals.
- Raspberry Salad: For those who love the combination of sweet and savory, this is also the perfect option. Salad with raspberries, shrimp and cucumber will be an excellent choice for a perfect combination of flavors.
But not only delicious raspberries are good for health. It is rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, potassium and folic acid. Raspberries also contain antioxidants that help protect our body from free radicals and prevent the development of cardiovascular disease.
Coconut products: milk, pulp, water
As an island fruit, coconuts have long been famous for their exotic and excellent flavor palette. However, in addition to this, they are also a source of useful substances.
Coconut milk is a liquid obtained by grinding coconut meat and water. It has a delicate and sweet taste and is great for use in the keto diet. Coconut milk contains a lot of medium-length fatty acids, which are a source of energy for the body.
Coconut flesh is the soft and juicy interior of a coconut. It can be added to keto meals to give them a sweet taste and saturate them with fatty acids. In addition, coconut meat contains vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that make it a health-promoting food.
Coconut water is the liquid found inside the coconut. It has a refreshing taste and is an excellent thirst quencher. In addition, coconut water contains electrolytes, minerals and vitamins that are beneficial for the body.
- Coconut milk can be used to make creamy soups and sauces;
- Coconut can be added to smoothies and desserts;
- Coconut water can be drunk neat or added to cocktails.
Low Carb Apples Recipes & Benefits
For those on a keto diet, apples may seem out of reach due to their high carbohydrate content. However, there are low-carb varieties of apples that can be consumed in moderation. These include, for example, Golden Delicious and Granny Smith.
One popular and easy-to-make keto recipe with apples is an apple pie made with almond flour and coconut oil. To prepare this dessert, you need to mix almond flour with coconut oil and apples, add eggs, lemon zest and soda. Then the dough is laid out in a baking dish and baked in the oven.
Low carb apples contain less sugar, vitamins and fiber than regular apples. However, they are still a rich source of vitamin C and potassium, and are also a great source of fructose for those looking to treat themselves to a tasty snack on a keto diet.
- Apple cake with almond flour and coconut oil
- Apple salad with nuts and cheese
- Grilled apples with cinnamon and coconut oil
youtube.com/embed/mgrDa-qRWdg” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen”>
What fruits and berries can be eat on a keto diet?
Low-carb berries such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, blueberries, cranberries, and boysenberries are recommended on the keto diet. In addition, you can eat avocados and olives.
What fruits and berries should be avoided on a keto diet?
High-carbohydrate fruits and berries such as bananas, grapes, figs, apricots, dates, and mangoes should be avoided on a keto diet.
Can I eat apples on a keto diet?
Apples are a high carbohydrate fruit and should be avoided on a keto diet.
What berry-based recipes can I make on a keto diet?
Many berry-based dishes can be prepared on the keto diet, such as strawberry jam, blueberry cheesecake, raspberry jelly, blackberry pie, and more. All of these dishes can be prepared using sugar substitutes and without the use of flour.
What are the composition and benefits of avocado?
Avocado contains monounsaturated fats, fibre, potassium and vitamins C, K and B6. Eating it on a keto diet helps control cholesterol levels, support heart health, and boost the immune system.
What are the health benefits of berries on a keto diet?
Berries such as strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are high in antioxidants and phytonutrients that boost immunity, improve eyesight, strengthen bones and reduce the risk of heart disease.
What harm can high carbohydrate fruits and berries cause?
Fruits and berries that are high in carbohydrates can disrupt the ketosis process, which can lead to high blood sugar levels, excess weight and risk of heart disease and diabetes.
Can you eat fruit smoothies on a keto diet?
Fruit smoothies tend to be high in sugar in the form of fructose, so they should be avoided on a keto diet. However, you can make a green smoothie based on vegetables and berries with a low carbohydrate content.
You can’t on a keto diet: forbidden berries and fruits
Olena ISLAMKINA and Rahil IMANZADE look into one of the most controversial topics of the keto diet: is it possible to eat fruit on an LCHF diet? Well, at least a little?
There are two dietary extremes. Proponents of proper nutrition with foam at the mouth will defend the right to fruits. Those are vitamins! Ketogenics will no less furiously talk about toxic fructose. The truth, as usual, is out there somewhere.
Not allowed on ketodit: fruits and berries that are strictly prohibited?
Aki. Unripe fruits cause Jamaican vomiting disease. We will not go into details, how it differs, say, from Syzran, something tells: in any case, nothing pleasant.
Belladonna , she is also a wild cherry, she is also a sleepy dope. Causes dryness and burning in the mouth, difficulty swallowing, tachycardia, photophobia, delirium, hallucinations, psychosis. Even death from paralysis of the respiratory center and vascular insufficiency is possible. Tempting, but no.
Wolfberry. Causes poisoning, ulcers and blisters on mucous membranes.
Beach apple (manchine) . Caribbean natives, pleasant people, usually oil their arrows with the sap of this tree. To be sure.
Chilibukha . Charm, not a name. Wait, you haven’t heard the second one yet – vomit.
Never, ever eat these berries and fruits on keto. If you are going to an exotic country, google “poisonous plants” before the trip, and once in the virgin forest, agree to try fruits from trees only if the guide ate the fruit in front of you and did not die in agony after 2 hours.
Just about every other fruit won’t kill you, even if you’re on a keto diet.
Why do we avoid fruits on a keto diet? On the LCHF diet, we limit the amount of carbohydrates: 20 grams per day on a strict LCHF = keto, 50 on a moderate LCHF and 100 on a liberal one. One apple is approximately 19 g of sugar, that is, the full daily keto norm, which will enter the body in one blow. At the same time, we must take vitamins, minerals and fiber from somewhere. From one apple we get, for example, 8.4 mg of vitamin C, approximately 10% of the daily requirement. For comparison, a cup of broccoli has 81 mg.
Visual guide to carbohydrates in fruits and berries
Another important point: fruit is sweetened by fructose. Like glucose, it is a monosaccharide (common table sugar is fructose and glucose). Only if the whole body can deal with glucose – it uses it as energy, then fructose goes straight to the liver and is deposited there in the form of fat. And again – if you are a perfectly healthy person, one antonovka will not kill you. But if you eat fruits every day, you don’t get vitamins, but a load on the liver and a fair portion of sugar.
Can natural fruit juices be used on a keto diet?
Fresh juices have a great reputation. They also contain vitamins and are generally “natural”. The rattlesnake is also “natural”, it’s a pity she doesn’t have a good PR person.
Meanwhile, the Harvard School of Public Health calculated the amount of sugar in various drinks. In a glass of orange juice – like in a can of cola, namely 10 teaspoons. That is, no matter how many vitamins there are (and, as we found out, there are not so many of them), the form of their delivery is far from ideal.
Unlike whole fruits, juices contain much less fiber. Not everyone can eat 2-3 fruits that are needed to make a glass of juice in one sitting, but it’s easy to give up a drink at once.
In addition, juice increases appetite. For example, in one study, subjects were asked to eat an apple or drink juice before meals. Those who got the drink felt hungrier and ate more.
All of the above applies to fruit smoothies. Although fiber is still there, it is sugar in high concentration.
Are dried fruits allowed on the keto diet and LCHF?
The marketing ploy with the positioning of dried fruits “without sugar” also makes us mistaken.
Consider such a “harmless” dried fruit as dried apricots. With a cup of tea, 3-4 pieces are eaten imperceptibly. The average calorie content of one apricot is 44 kcal, 9 g of carbohydrates, of which 2 g of fiber and 7 g of sugar. That is, 4 dried apricots is 28 g of sugar, which is a lot even for a person who does not follow the principles of LCHF nutrition. The norm of sugar for an adult according to the World Health Organization is 25 grams. In the bar “Snickers” – the same 25-28, depending on the size.
Add to this that many dried fruits contain added sugar, and dried fruits that are beautifully glossy without a single dark spot are chemically processed.
Is it possible to have sugar-free jam on keto?
Sugar from the fruit itself does not go anywhere when making jam. Moreover, we already told in the article “Do I need to count calories on a keto diet” that thermal and mechanical processing of ingredients affect the calorie content of the product. It will be much easier for the body to extract sugar from crushed and cooked berries. Fruits and berries, thanks to fiber, will give at least some sense of satisfaction and satiety, and in twisted fruits, a meat grinder or blender has already done some of the work for you. In the study with juice and apple, applesauce was also involved – in fact, jam. Of course, he lost the whole fruit.
Not to mention the fact that many manufacturers write on the packaging in large letters “no sugar”, “on stevia”, small in the composition – “contains fructose (toxic to the liver), maltodextrin (glycemic index is higher than that of table sugar) , maltose or maltose syrup (high GI again), etc.
Carbohydrate and calorie-free jam is another product that should not be eaten on a keto diet. Don’t forget that on the LCHF diet, we eat whole, natural foods and are guided by the principle of “everything you need to google, don’t eat.” In the compositions of carbohydrate-free jams from understandable words – water, fruit cake and agar-agar. And the “new generation sweetener Sladin 200K” is cyclamate and saccharin, artificial sugars that we do not use on the keto diet.